By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you don't believe in the death penalty, this should change your mind.

When you're arguing with hypotheticals, you know you've lost an argument. What if someone close to you was charged for murder, given the death penalty, and then later found to be innocent? Not likely to happen, BUT IT COULD!!!

Around the Network
Moongoddess256 said:
We're talking to a brick wall guys :

What argument do you really have against the death penalty besides "life is precious".

It's people like you that have made it so expensive, and thats exactly how you like it, to convince other people we should get rid of it solely because of cost.

Otherwise you have no argument. You cannot provide a single reason as to how keeping them locked up but alive adds to society.

akuma587 said:
Username2324 said:

If life is so precious, why do we take away everything that life has to offer and confine these individuals? Why not let them go free? Why waste so much money trying to prove a guilty man innocent?

I would love to see how your minds might be changed if someone close to you was killed in a gruesome, horrific manner, perhaps by someone who had killed before and was released from prison after serving a sentence. Then would you still consider their life precious?

So I take it your not a Christian and think forgiving people for things is the dumbest thing a person could do.  Jesus would go buy an AK-47 and fuck that guy up, right?  He would kill him!

I forgive people all the time, and there are many scenarios where forgiveness is the right decision. Severing a childs head with a kitchen knife is not one of them.

MontanaHatchet said:
When you're arguing with hypotheticals, you know you've lost an argument. What if someone close to you was charged for murder, given the death penalty, and then later found to be innocent? Not likely to happen, BUT IT COULD!!!

Like I said, you have no real argument.

"LIFE IS PRECIOUS MAN, NO ONE SHOULD LOSE IT"

I have no real argument? Did you even read my post? You're so caught up in your own rhetoric that you're just grouping together everyone who disagrees with you! I can see why Moongoddess doesn't want to argue with you anymore, it's not even enjoyable.

Around the Network

life is precious? fuck that, I said we don't want to be hypocrites. Eye for an eye is a justice system long gone. That's what they still do in the middle east though... and look how well it works for them.

also lol @ akuma's jesus. I'm amazed how unchristian most Christians are. Its like the point went over their heads despite learning about it for their whole lives.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

MontanaHatchet said:
I have no real argument? Did you even read my post? You're so caught up in your own rhetoric that you're just grouping together everyone who disagrees with you! I can see why Moongoddess doesn't want to argue with you anymore, it's not even enjoyable.

Then lay down your argument in one clear post.

Username2324 said:
Moongoddess256 said:
We're talking to a brick wall guys :

What argument do you really have against the death penalty besides "life is precious".

It's people like you that have made it so expensive, and thats exactly how you like it, to convince other people we should get rid of it solely because of cost.

Otherwise you have no argument. You cannot provide a single reason as to how keeping them locked up but alive adds to society.

1) The death penalty does not deter criminals from committing crimes anymore than life in prison does.

2) Depriving someone of life is a power that a government should use sparingly, if at all.

3) The death penalty is not cost efficient in the judicial system. 

4) Thousands of people have been sentenced to death who were innocent.  Human beings are horribly flawed and should not have the power to condemn each other to death.

5) Giving the government too much power is dangerous.

Username, I would love to see you live in a country like China where police can trump up charges just so they can put in the newspaper they have caught a killer when really all they care about is putting the blame on someone.  I would laugh my ass off if they threw you in jail and sentenced you to death simply because it was easier for them to do that than to actually find the killer.  I would come to your execution and savor it while you died painfully and slowly.  I would wake up every day happy with that image in my mind of your death.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Username2324 said:
akuma587 said:
Username2324 said:

If life is so precious, why do we take away everything that life has to offer and confine these individuals? Why not let them go free? Why waste so much money trying to prove a guilty man innocent?

I would love to see how your minds might be changed if someone close to you was killed in a gruesome, horrific manner, perhaps by someone who had killed before and was released from prison after serving a sentence. Then would you still consider their life precious?

So I take it your not a Christian and think forgiving people for things is the dumbest thing a person could do.  Jesus would go buy an AK-47 and fuck that guy up, right?  He would kill him!

I forgive people all the time, and there are many scenarios where forgiveness is the right decision. Severing a childs head with a kitchen knife is not one of them.

You didn't answer my question.  What would Jesus do?  Pull out a 9mm and bust a cap in his ass?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I would rather die then spend every day of the rest of my life getting my ass raped and gang-raped, ect...

So, I would prefer Death-penalty over life in prison... as the guilty...