By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you don't believe in the death penalty, this should change your mind.

akuma587 said:
@ Username:

What would Jesus say about the death penalty? Would Jesus be for or against it?

Well, he would most likely be against.

But it is my understanding that a large portion of this site is not religious, I'll have to open a poll to make Hatchett happy, but just from posting here it does seem that way.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Username2324 said:

For the China comment, we're not in China, our system is very different from theirs.

Do I need to explain to you why our system is so much different than theirs?  Because we value defendant's rights far more than they do.  If we didn't, we WOULD live in a country that was more like China.

Look at our Constituion.  How many times do you see the Founding Fathers put shortcuts in the Constitution for law enforcement?  How many times do you see the Founding Fathers make it harder to convict people of crimes?

A system without these protections would fundamentally change our way of life.  You say we should "restructure" our appeals process.  Maybe we should just get rid of the Bill of Rights?  Or the ex post facto clause?  And double jeopardy protection?

People take all these rights for granted until the government starts taking them away.  Everyone innocent person who ends up in prison never thought it could happen to them.  They know their government would never do something like that!  I find it laughable that conservative people don't trust the government to do anything, unless of course they are waging war or prosecuting criminals.

Restructure as in reduce cost, if you had read my posts you might have seen that. I mean do those judges deserve 10 million a year? Should those lawyers make $20,000 an hour? That's where all the money goes.

tombi123 said:
L.C.E.C. said:

I would rather die then spend every day of the rest of my life getting my ass raped and gang-raped, ect...

So, I would prefer Death-penalty over life in prison... as the guilty...

well there's always suicide if you want to choose death over prison... 

No, because (according to my beliefs), then I'd go to hell, and get ass-raped by god-knows-what for all eternity...

@akuma: Also, the death penalty is only more leniant to non-gang affiliated criminals. However, if you have fellow gang members in the jail (likely), then your ass will never be touched... and you just spend some time from the outside world...

Also, the entire reason people rape each other in prison is BECAUSE of the concept of life in jail. I say, that if someone is a killer, let them be killed. If someone is a rapist, put them in prison for life with the other prison-for-lifers, and, well you know what will happen...

Then again, I think rape is a far worse crime then murder, which, unfortunately, many people disagree with me on...

akuma587 said:
@ Username:

What would Jesus say about the death penalty? Would Jesus be for or against it?

If one leads by example, I would say he would be for it. His is the most famous.

I don't believe in the death penalty and that did not change my mind. That person deserves life imprisonment.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:

I am not saying I am for the death penalty in every case, but in this case... he needs to die.

Why?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Next time just quote. Talk about a pain.

I see your point, but I don't see how lower penalties would actually encourage crime. Even though it might discourage crime less than say, chopping off limbs, it wouldn't actually encourage it. My point was that punishments have become more reasonable with time, not softer. You would have actually been able to counter my argument here but you messed up by saying that modern punishments are too soft and that we should go back to limb chopping (or at least that's what you implied).

Being easier on criminals is part of moving forwards as a society. Life in prison may not be the most convenient punishment for the justice system, or a just enough punishment for the family of the person murdered, but it's not a radical choice. I think a lot of conservatives would agree with me when I say that I wouldn't want to surrender my life to the government/justice system regardless of the actions I committed. A life in jail may not be cruel enough in some people's eyes, but the legal system also shouldn't have the right to end my life.

I'll skip your third point because I made a mess out of copy and pasting a graph and lost the paragraph I was going to post. Instead, I'll point out how you accuse me of twisting the facts when you got them wrong entirely. In 2007, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan had higher death rates per population than China (Pakistan depending on what sources you use) despite much, much lower populations. Percentage means little, and besides, it's not about how often we use the death penalty anyways. It's the fact that of the countries that administer the death penalty, the only one similar to us in wealth and status (besides China) is Japan, which you could practically write a book on based on the history of execution there. Even then, they use it very rarely.

Well, I have to hit bed. You're boring to argue with and you get angry when people choose to argue with you. I'll probably just come home in the afternoon to see you owned by the debate squad, so I don't see any reason to stay up all night.

Username2324 said:

Restructure as in reduce cost, if you had read my posts you might have seen that. I mean do those judges deserve 10 million a year? Should those lawyers make $20,000 an hour? That's where all the money goes.

Do you know anything?  Seriously.  You live in your own little bubble world.

Judges are incredibly underpaid.  Even the Supreme Court Justices make only around $150,000.  In the private sector they would be making closer to $2 million.  They usually have to go out and do things on the side just to make a living.

Many of the people who represent defendants on these death penalty appeals are making next to nothing, on both the prosecution side and the defendants' side.  The defendant is usually dirt poor and cannot afford an attorney.  And prosecutor's make next to nothing as well.  Hell, police officers often make more than prosecutors.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

I am not saying I am for the death penalty in every case, but in this case... he needs to die.

Why

Some things in my mind just earn you the right to die... cuting your little sisters head off with a kitchen knife is one of them.

So I'm boring to argue with so you're going to "go to bed"? It's not much fun to argue with you either, you consistently read my posts incorrectly, you make assumptions about the mood I am in.

I do not get angry with people on the internet, it is as pointless as trying to change anyones opinion on the internet, it simply isn't going to happen. Why I try? I do not know.

I mean honestly, has your opinion ever been changed in one of these arguments? Has your opinion about anything ever changed? My guess is no, people on the internet, especially forums moderators seem to have this superiorty complex, where they are better than everyone else no matter what.

My name is in orange or green so I am better than you.

For life being so precious and delicate and deserving of every chance possible you sure aren't very compassionate.

Oh yeah, this is not a hostile post, simply observations... (Incase you were having a hard time figuring it out)