By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Average Wii game needs 1 million in sales to turn profit

Reggie Fils-Aime, chief marketing officer for Nintendo of America, said publishers of games for its Wii console needed to sell one million units of a game to turn a profit. He said that was a lower threshold than for the other consoles. Only 16 out of 486 games for Nintendo Wii game machines have sold more than one million units as of March 1, according to NPD, which tracks the sales of consumer products. (Nine of the best sellers are made by Nintendo.)

From this New York Times article. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/technology/30game.html?_r=3&hpw

Pretty interesting that even on Wii it seems pretty tough to make money, this also means the amount needed to break even on HD consoles must be even higher for their average game.

Around the Network

only 16? um hell no.

Ohh I see that's for NA only.

1 million to break profit on Wii gamea? damn howw much would game for PS360 have sell then? 3 million?

Something isn't right here.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

16 in the US only.

EDIT: I just checked and VGChartz has 20, with the bottom 4 all being within a reasonable range to account for Canada and Mexico.

Also, I think Reggie's Comment is 1m WW, not US only like the article is pulling numbers for. However, 1m still sounds awefully high.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

People it is the NYtimes, lets move on already. (this topic has been posted before)

Acevil said:
People it is the NYtimes, lets move on already. (this topic has been posted before)

Sorry wasn't aware it had been posted before. Can I lock this thread? (First time making a thread here.)

Around the Network

this goes to all those saying the wanted developer was talking crap, just because he said madworld would need to sell 2Million to make profit, well this prof it

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

if it's one million for Wii then it's even worse for the HD consoles, as Wii has a lot more million sellers than Ps3, and it could have equal to Xbox360 is they were releases same time, which means it's still easier to profit on Wii

maybe this is why there are more games on Wii

but still, this doesn't make sense, most developing companies should have been close by now!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

duplicate thread
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=66137&page=1

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)