By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much % of the PS3 will Metal Gear Solid 4 use?

I would figure it will use about 50 to 60 percent of the PS3's power. At the moment Lair is the only game even making it break a sweat and they figure it was about 45 to 55%. The biggest problem with the PS3 right now is that a lot of devs are not using the SPE's, and if they are they are sloppy. Madden is the worst case scenario with EA cramming what they could from tge 3 cores on 360 onto the single core of PS3 and calling it good. This trend will end soon enoghf though and we will start to see true next gen games from 3rd party publishers towards the end of next year.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

yeah but keep in mind that it doesn't exist any program for the public (some crazy one in labs are done) that exploit 100%, it's like writing the perfect book it doesn't exist... pushing to 80% would be an amazing performance which won't happen before the close end of the generation.....

and like ckmlb said it's usually BS to use percentage.. especially when they are global.....

maybe around 75-80% considering the time it is taking to release the game,
The game would have seen at least 3 E3's

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

865%

It's totally impossible to achieve the 100% of any hardware and therefore is impossible to calculate the usage of a console's power.

Two developers might achieve different things with the same resources. Give Valve a 1.4 Ghz CPU, 512MB of RAM and a DirectX video card. They give you Half-Life 2 Episode Two at medium setting good framerate. Give Electronic Arts the same hardware and they give you FIFA at low settings and bad framerate.

Also, the 100% of PS3's power is not available to developers. Of the theoretical 204 GFLOPS the Cell can do, those are with the 8 SPE's. Now, remove one for better yields, now remove another one for OS. That leaves you with 6 SPE's. And considering it's impossible to achieve the 100% of those 6 SPE's... well you do the math.

I know it's impossible to calculate how much power of the console a game uses, but to stay on topic I say...

~40%. It doesn't looks THAT amazing.

Around the Network

4D%

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

30% at least

dallas said:
865%

That's a big number

Hus said:
starcraft said:
I cant remember which developer so i cant provide a link, but someone was saying while their game did use ALL the power of the PS3, that as time passed they would find better ways to use that power. So basically MGS4 will probably use 95% of what the PS3 has to offer, its just that the same power will be better used by developers in the future as they discover different ways to apply it. The same logic applies to the 360 and the Wii.

Thats pure bs.

Not one dev is even close to using all its power and that pretty much what they are saying.

Hus they have used all the power of the PS3.  The way it works is that they will optomise their code over the coming years to make BETTER use of the same power. Same for the 360.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Power percentage is completely useless. I could probably find a way to write a few lines of code on the PS3 that could tie up 100% of the system through redundancy and piss-poor programming.

It's not how much power you use, it's how efficiently you use the power given to you.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/