By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New Windows ad takes jab at Macs

I do graphic design in a print shop. I have to deal with Mac's on a daily basis at my work and they are simply and utterly awful. There are so many issues with them and software/hardware compatibility that it's not even funny. We have nothing but issues when printing from Mac's and their temperamental software ports.

Most people that own them are pretentious scenesters (at least where I live). A good chunk of them only buy Mac's to fit an image. A good chunk of that chunk don't know how to use them. I deal with it on a daily basis and everyone I work with cringe at Mac users.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network
JamesCizuz said:
famousringo said:
JamesCizuz said:
StarrGazer said:
CaptainDJ said:
XP > Vista
MAC > Microsoft

All my Bro did was dual booted his MAC with XP, and now I want one for myself! :O

If you like that.....you'd love seeing what you can do on a Mac with "Target Disk" Mode!   Any machine can be easily backed up,  migrated to another machine, or recovered.......imagine never having to reload your OS even after a disk crash and you start to get the idea.  

Target Disk also fails 6% of the way, and the standard for programs which perform that action is supposed to be BELOW 0.05%.

Also, there is no reason to buy a mac. Buy a PC, and dual boot XP and OSX. You can do that you know? It's not hard anymore, ISOs now exist which do it all for you. It runs good, except for some conflicts with some hardware, you wouldn't have to worry 95% of s-hardware is supported. Special hardware meaning things like wireless cards, and sound cards. Everything else would be supported.

I don't think you're talking about the same Target Disk we are talking about.

Target Disk is a feature which allows you to start up a Mac as though it was an external Firewire drive. It really is amazingly useful. Hopefully Apple will figure out a way to implement this over USB since Firewire is being phased out. The new MacBooks don't have a Firewire port and don't offer Target Disk mode. It's one of the reasons I made sure to get a Mac Mini now while they're still packing a Firewire port.

I can't say I've noticed Macs failing to enter Target Disk mode 6% of the time or failing to transfer 6% of data in this mode, so I am curious, exactly what are you talking about?

Not 6% data loss, or 6% crash rate, 6% of the time it'll encounter "something" and stop. Which shouldn't happen at all. The "something" we don't know. It happens at every little problem, from sector errors and a like it can't be pinpointed. All thats known is 6% of the time, it'll just stop. Meaning if you transfer to 20 different drives, 1 out of the 20th time you'll encounter it just stopping.

I'd like to see where you are getting your information from......source please?   I've been using Target Disk Mode for years on literally a hundred different machines over that time (with drives and computers in all sorts of conditions and states of working order) and have not had any failures with using this mode as designed with one exception.....the harddrive in the unit being targeted is actually defective/malfunctioning,  whereby hardware failure is the source of the problem.

nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:
Microsoft can spend their funds anyway they want to advertise. But they'd be better off using those funds to fix their software problems so Apple ads will have nothing to point out. Those Apple ads wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it weren't true.

Most Apple ads aren't even true.  They talk about old issues or things that only occur in small numbers, and blow them up to be huge problems.  As far as actual security, Apple OS is far less secure.  I can take my OS X disc to almost any Apple machine I want and get access to it within a few minutes time with complete ownership rights.  It is laughable how little security these things have.

Uh, yeah, it's pretty well known that any computer you have physical access to can easily be made your bitch.

Besides physically locking up your machine when you aren't around, encryption is the only real defense against somebody who can get at your computer. If you're a paranoid Mac user you can turn on FileVault to protect the contents of your home folder from the installer disc-wielding scourge. Your data will be safe unless they get their hands on your password or spend a lot of time on brute force.

And I'll backup StarrGazer's account of Target Disk mode. I've only ever seen it fail on bad hardware. I'd really appreciate if you could provide some kind of source for this, James.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:
Microsoft can spend their funds anyway they want to advertise. But they'd be better off using those funds to fix their software problems so Apple ads will have nothing to point out. Those Apple ads wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it weren't true.

Most Apple ads aren't even true.  They talk about old issues or things that only occur in small numbers, and blow them up to be huge problems.  As far as actual security, Apple OS is far less secure.  I can take my OS X disc to almost any Apple machine I want and get access to it within a few minutes time with complete ownership rights.  It is laughable how little security these things have.

Uh, yeah, it's pretty well known that any computer you have physical access to can easily be made your bitch.

Besides physically locking up your machine when you aren't around, encryption is the only real defense against somebody who can get at your computer. If you're a paranoid Mac user you can turn on FileVault to protect the contents of your home folder from the installer disc-wielding scourge. Your data will be safe unless they get their hands on your password or spend a lot of time on brute force.

And I'll backup StarrGazer's account of Target Disk mode. I've only ever seen it fail on bad hardware. I'd really appreciate if you could provide some kind of source for this, James.

You seem to be missing the point.  Macs can be made your bitch with absolutely no tech knowledge or hacking involved.  That's much less secure than a PC.  If you want a PC user's password, you at least have to know how to find a good program, burn an ISO image onto a DVD, then boot to that DVD and run the software.  WIth the OS X disc, you just put it in, boot to it, and voila.

And as you just said "unless they get their hands on your password".  If they use the OS X install disc, they can change your password without even having to know your original one or any other security questions.  Then your Mac would be screwed once again (which is what I was describing earlier).

Nightsurge seems extremely paranoid about people stealing computers, and I find this weird considering I've never even heard of people doing that before. What situation do you find yourself in so often that makes it a potential threat?

The only time you'd ever really be away from your notebook is when you're at home, right? Do you live with evil people? :P

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
famousringo said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:

You seem to be missing the point.  Macs can be made your bitch with absolutely no tech knowledge or hacking involved.  That's much less secure than a PC.  If you want a PC user's password, you at least have to know how to find a good program, burn an ISO image onto a DVD, then boot to that DVD and run the software.  WIth the OS X disc, you just put it in, boot to it, and voila.

And as you just said "unless they get their hands on your password".  If they use the OS X install disc, they can change your password without even having to know your original one or any other security questions.  Then your Mac would be screwed once again (which is what I was describing earlier).

Wrong again. Can't get at that encrypted home folder without either the original password or the master FileVault password. Using the boot disc password utility will not gain you access to that data.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

nightsurge said:
famousringo said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:

Wrong.......if the Open firmware password is set you can not simply use the OS X install disc to boot the machine and change the password......not without knowing the existing password first.  Now how is that less secure then a BIOS password that requires you to know the existing BIOS password before you can change it?

famousringo said:
nightsurge said:
famousringo said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:

Wrong again. Can't get at that encrypted home folder without either the original password or the master FileVault password. Using the boot disc password utility will not gain you access to that data.

Ok, if you say so.  I haven't tried that, but from what you described it sounded as if you meant just the admin password and not some secondary password just for the file vault.  Anyways, I was right about all the other stuff.

wfz said:
Nightsurge seems extremely paranoid about people stealing computers, and I find this weird considering I've never even heard of people doing that before. What situation do you find yourself in so often that makes it a potential threat?

The only time you'd ever really be away from your notebook is when you're at home, right? Do you live with evil people? :P

I'm not worried about people "stealing computers"... oh wait... I actually am kinda worried about that too, but I mostly meant I am worried about protecting the data on the computers.

I work at a university as an LSP (local service provider) for the Math Department.  Basically I manage all IT needs for this department.  Data protection as well as actual physical hardware protection is a very big deal for a university, especially given the government funding involved which makes this somewhat of a government institution.

And unfortunately you will find evil people everywhere.   Just last year we had 3 laptops stolen by breaking into our cabinets in one of the labs (which have since seen much reinforcement to prevent this).

come on guys.. didnt the mac platform shift to the PC platform when mac jumped into bed with intel with core duo and then again with wintel with bootcamp.

Overall M$ is still smarter here.. PC's can do more stuff than mac. Its nice that macs have a more stable/virus free OS, but compared to windows they have horridly expensive hardware(why the hell use proprietary RAM), limited 3rd party support. In fact I choose ubuntu over OSX anyday..

why dont mac ads show macs running web servers, or playing cool 1080p higher games? well coz very very few macs do that..

Im not a huge vista supporter either, even though it runs on my rig fine, but paying 2-3 even 4x for the same shit is ridiculous.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business