By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New Windows ad takes jab at Macs

Jordahn said:
Microsoft can spend their funds anyway they want to advertise. But they'd be better off using those funds to fix their software problems so Apple ads will have nothing to point out. Those Apple ads wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it weren't true.

Most Apple ads aren't even true.  They talk about old issues or things that only occur in small numbers, and blow them up to be huge problems.  As far as actual security, Apple OS is far less secure.  I can take my OS X disc to almost any Apple machine I want and get access to it within a few minutes time with complete ownership rights.  It is laughable how little security these things have.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:
Microsoft can spend their funds anyway they want to advertise. But they'd be better off using those funds to fix their software problems so Apple ads will have nothing to point out. Those Apple ads wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it weren't true.

Most Apple ads aren't even true.  They talk about old issues or things that only occur in small numbers, and blow them up to be huge problems.  As far as actual security, Apple OS is far less secure.  I can take my OS X disc to almost any Apple machine I want and get access to it within a few minutes time with complete ownership rights.  It is laughable how little security these things have.

And I can do the same with the Ultimate Windows Boots Disc.... your point?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:

You can't do it with a standard Windows OS disc.  Thus it is much more secure than the Apple OS.  Also, it is very easy to change your settings in the Bios on a PC so that you cannot boot to DVD without a password.  Can't say the same for Apple machines.

And by a few minutes, I meant like litterally 5 minutes or less to have full control and lock out the original user.

StarrGazer said:
CaptainDJ said:
XP > Vista
MAC > Microsoft

All my Bro did was dual booted his MAC with XP, and now I want one for myself! :O

If you like that.....you'd love seeing what you can do on a Mac with "Target Disk" Mode!   Any machine can be easily backed up,  migrated to another machine, or recovered.......imagine never having to reload your OS even after a disk crash and you start to get the idea.  

lol....? There's hundreds of programs you can do that on a PC with, and you've been able to do it for years.  I just used a program called copywipe to do it a month or so ago.  Why are you acting excited, like this is revolutionary, or exclusive to mac?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
JamesCizuz said:
StarrGazer said:
CaptainDJ said:
XP > Vista
MAC > Microsoft

All my Bro did was dual booted his MAC with XP, and now I want one for myself! :O

If you like that.....you'd love seeing what you can do on a Mac with "Target Disk" Mode!   Any machine can be easily backed up,  migrated to another machine, or recovered.......imagine never having to reload your OS even after a disk crash and you start to get the idea.  

Target Disk also fails 6% of the way, and the standard for programs which perform that action is supposed to be BELOW 0.05%.

Also, there is no reason to buy a mac. Buy a PC, and dual boot XP and OSX. You can do that you know? It's not hard anymore, ISOs now exist which do it all for you. It runs good, except for some conflicts with some hardware, you wouldn't have to worry 95% of s-hardware is supported. Special hardware meaning things like wireless cards, and sound cards. Everything else would be supported.

You obviously don't know what Target disk mode is....     You are right,  you can make a Frankenmac and save some money (but still hassle with the software to hardware integration).....or you can save your time which has value as well....and buy a solution that is fully integrated right from the vendor.  I see this at my work all of the time.  The Mac folks will purchase machines that cost more up front,  but last longer and require little or no service or support.  The PC folks buy cheap.....and then periodically change out parts and do upgrades.....and then spend hours fixing the machines when the hardware update conflicts with the OS/ drive mix.   They end up spending more money and time then the Mac folks do........That's why we now are forcing everyone to look at total cost of ownership over the life cycle of a machine/solution.   Once you do that,  you quickly see the MS price savings vanish and it actually turns into a money losing proposition.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
CaptainDJ said:
XP > Vista
MAC > Microsoft

Windows 7 = XP > Vista

And

Linux distros > Mac > Windows

That is ridiculously false.

It's Linux > WIndows > Mac

Why?

Because as I stated earlier, the Mac has the downfalls of both Linux and Windows, and none of the benefits.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Bookmarked for when I have a PC with sound available to me.

Pixel Art can be fun.

nightsurge said:
ssj12 said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:

You can't do it with a standard Windows OS disc.  Thus it is much more secure than the Apple OS.  Also, it is very easy to change your settings in the Bios on a PC so that you cannot boot to DVD without a password.  Can't say the same for Apple machines.

And by a few minutes, I meant like litterally 5 minutes or less to have full control and lock out the original user.

You obviously aren't familiar with how this is done on a Mac.   The equivalent for a Mac is the Open Firmware Password......does the same thing as the BIOS lockout you are touting.

famousringo said:
JamesCizuz said:
StarrGazer said:
CaptainDJ said:
XP > Vista
MAC > Microsoft

Target Disk also fails 6% of the way, and the standard for programs which perform that action is supposed to be BELOW 0.05%.

Also, there is no reason to buy a mac. Buy a PC, and dual boot XP and OSX. You can do that you know? It's not hard anymore, ISOs now exist which do it all for you. It runs good, except for some conflicts with some hardware, you wouldn't have to worry 95% of s-hardware is supported. Special hardware meaning things like wireless cards, and sound cards. Everything else would be supported.

I don't think you're talking about the same Target Disk we are talking about.

Target Disk is a feature which allows you to start up a Mac as though it was an external Firewire drive. It really is amazingly useful. Hopefully Apple will figure out a way to implement this over USB since Firewire is being phased out. The new MacBooks don't have a Firewire port and don't offer Target Disk mode. It's one of the reasons I made sure to get a Mac Mini now while they're still packing a Firewire port.

I can't say I've noticed Macs failing to enter Target Disk mode 6% of the time or failing to transfer 6% of data in this mode, so I am curious, exactly what are you talking about?

Not 6% data loss, or 6% crash rate, 6% of the time it'll encounter "something" and stop. Which shouldn't happen at all. The "something" we don't know. It happens at every little problem, from sector errors and a like it can't be pinpointed. All thats known is 6% of the time, it'll just stop. Meaning if you transfer to 20 different drives, 1 out of the 20th time you'll encounter it just stopping.

StarrGazer said:
nightsurge said:
ssj12 said:
nightsurge said:
Jordahn said:

You obviously aren't familiar with how this is done on a Mac.   The equivalent for a Mac is the Open Firmware Password......does the same thing as the BIOS lockout you are touting.

So the Open Firmware Password enables me to disable booting from DVD?  Thank you.  Now I can further protect my incredibly vulnerable Macs within the staff.  Also, I'm not sure about your previous argument as far as the costs of the lifecycle being higher on PC's.  In fact, over the last 2 IT jobs I've worked at, the PC's lasted 3-5 years before needing replacements, if not longer, and only a few would see simple RAM upgrades.  Sure some parts failed like hard drives and RAM and the occasional motherboard, but that is hardware, which fails at the same rate given pretty much any technological device regardless if it is used for Macs or PCs.

The fact remains that a PC with better hardware and a full service 3 year warranty with accidental damage coverage is still hundreds cheaper than a Mac, and on a school/university, security is most important, which is why we will always use PCs in much higher volume than Macs.  Simplicity is also a big factor, and as of the last month, I have had to work on 4 Macs and only 3 PCs as far as hardware (upgrades/replacements).  The Mac hardware (especially older eMacs and iMacs) is incredibly stupid, proprietary, and makes simple things like RAM upgrades a huge PITA.