By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well Im to afraid to do anything atm,

And I have red lights blinking. But its been over 2 H now.. dont have the manual.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

@Pristine

Well I backed up my 40gig hdd to an external drive and then put it all back onto my 320gig HDD once installed...so whats the difference?

well, when you back up with the ps3, you see a bunch of encrypted files that no windows program, I know of, can decipher. you see, the ps3 may require that kind of encryption in order to recognize your back up when you want to transfer to a new hdd. If you do this with a PC, the encryption won't be there and your back up probably won't be recognized by your ps3.

the only solution is if you can actually locate the save files( most important) in a PC back up because you certainly can't tell jack from looking at the encrypted files backed up by the xmb.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Bad deal. But it happens. The only optical-disk system that didn't break on me was the Gamecube. And the PS3. But it's only been about 18 months for the PS3. Still man, I feel for you. I live in a city of only 200,000 and there are a half-dozen places to get consoles fixed. Look in your phone-book to see if you have any. That way you can hold onto your 60gig. BTW. Would Sony send back a different model? I would hope not, but I honestly don't know.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

You do know that its just overheated right? If you read the PS3 manual it says when the red light flashes, leave it off for 2 hours or so in a cool area. I'd try that

I left it in the balcony it turned SOO cold for like 30 mins though...

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@pristine

in which case..... he's fucked!

pretty much...but if I knew this, I'd have tried bcause he's fucked eitherway.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

And thats another KZ2 Clan member gone

I rekon though that my 60GB is invincible

AaronSOLDIER said:
You do know that its just overheated right? If you read the PS3 manual it says when the red light flashes, leave it off for 2 hours or so in a cool area. I'd try that

wait a sec, you could be right since he never actually got the YLOD.

Aldro said:
Pristine20 said:
kowenicki said:
the sata dock supplies power to the drive and connects by usb to the PC/LAPTOP... then i presume it will appear as an available drive and you can just copy its contents to your laptop or pc

seriously? I wish I knew about this when my ps3 broke. The question though is: will the ps3 be able to recover from a back up created by a PC as opposed to encrypted by the xmb or at the very least, will save files be easily distinguishable from the rest of the clutter?

So all I do is take the PS3 HD out just like it is put it in the toaster XD XD , connect it with usb to the PC and start copying mai files? My dad has one and he is kinda smart and i belive we did try something like this although it didnt find the drive because PS3 has some weird format or something...

Are you just guessing or do you really think this will work? Because if i take it out and it wont work then i cant put it back (Since it will ask to reformat lol).

Your PC wont be able to read it,  I also have a 320GB hdd, just sitting around, waiting for someone to crack the encryption on the HDD and the files themselves. Even Linux wont read it and that is the file structure on a PS3. As far as I know, nobody has been able to crack that encryption yet, so you are stuck with a paper weight that looks like a 2.5"SATA HDD like me.   Unless you want to format it and lose everything. 

So, I'm sorry dude.   There are websites that talk about it,  and some people think they are close to cracking it.  But i dont have my hopes up. 

Pristine20 said:
AaronSOLDIER said:

wait a sec, you could be right since he never actually got the YLOD.

I didnt get the YLOD ether and I wanted a 3 days sooooo