By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4-6 years before good games on PS3? so why buy now?

The world might now even be here in 4 years!!! (Just came from the, "Dear US of A thread")

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
sieanr said:
That "PS3 is future proof, it will last 10 years" mantra is one of the biggest loads of shit sony throws around.

Sinear do you have an idea about anything, a playstation system lasting 10 years is possible.  The PS1 was being sold for 10 years, the PS2 has been out for over 7 years.  The PS3 will have the same lifespan.  The PS4 will be out before 10 years they are just saying that the PS3 will still be available in 10 years time.  

@ The original post, Sony is saying to master the system will take time like any system, the PS2 keeps getting better graphics with each game that comes out look at God of war comapred to the first year titles. 

I know the system will be available in 10 years, but its the bullshit people throw out that its "future proof" and will still be state of the art a decade later. The thing is, Sony only encourages this delusional viewpoint.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

GranTurismo said:
sieanr said:
That "PS3 is future proof, it will last 10 years" mantra is one of the biggest loads of shit sony throws around.

Sinear do you have an idea about anything, a playstation system lasting 10 years is possible. The PS1 was being sold for 10 years, the PS2 has been out for over 7 years. The PS3 will have the same lifespan. The PS4 will be out before 10 years they are just saying that the PS3 will still be available in 10 years time.

@ The original post, Sony is saying to master the system will take time like any system, the PS2 keeps getting better graphics with each game that comes out look at God of war comapred to the first year titles.

So you think the PS3 will have a shelf life equal to or longer than the PS1 and the PS2?  I think you are right in suggesting that this is what Sony had intended, but I'm not sure it will play out that way.  Sony has walked into a very different market this time around.  They've never been at the bottom.  Their PR track record of late shows that they don't know how to behave when they are there.  The PS3 and Sony hate is palpable when you go into an EBGames or Gamestop.  It is the console that everyone likes to laugh at.  Industry pundits love talking about the giant falling from his castle. 

If Wii has amazing forward momentum, Sony has the backward momentum.  I am not saying the console will fail, but I am saying that while what Sieanr has said might not be the most tactful, he still might know something.  Besides, its not like he's the only one saying such things.  Many are predicting doom and gloom for the shiny black box.  But continue with your mantra.

I do think the PS3 will be available in atleast 7 years, once the price comes down the system will move the same thing happens with everything.

Look at the price of top of the line TV's 3 years ago they were 15k, now you can buy the best Tv for about 5k. Look at the price of DVD players when they first came out they were $500 now you can go into wal-mart and get one for $20.

The PS3 will be the same way, $600 now but by the end of the system life it will be under $200. Look at everything the PS3 can do and it gets added support all the time for new features. A $200 PS3 with games like GTA, Gt, MGS, FF and all the other great franchises it will be hard not to pick it up.

windbane said:
twesterm said:
Psh, you don't buy the PS3 for games, you buy for the promise of great games. You know, like Lair.

Psh, you don't buy the Wii for games, you buy for the promise of great games. You know, like Farcry.

Do shutup. Please?

Man that made me laugh so freakin loud

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Gran Turismo...welcome to my world. Welcome to the world where all the Gamecube needed to do was make a kick-ass Metroid, Zelda and Mario and the Gamecube would bury the XBOX. Afterall, those games are some heavy hitters. Won't the average person realize that the Gamecube is an amazing system with some great games? And it's the most powerful? The answer, plainly, was no. It takes more than good games to sell a system. Everyone loved to hate the purple lunch pail. Even now the kiddie stigma persists. You don't bounce back from bad public image with a couple games. Don't forget, the Gamecube started lower than everyone else's price, and was always lower. Not even price can save some. And comparing a console to a TV is ridiculous. Sony doesn't have that kind of time.

I am a Sony fan. I've been ever since the N64 days. I left Nintendo because I thought they were heading in the wrong direction and I really got into FFVII. Ratchet/Jak/Sly....ICO...ATV Offroad Fury...man there were some great games. But Sony did something. They abandoned the casual market. They abandoned the customer that doesn't have a thousand dollars laying around to drop on his/her video game addiction. Evidently I'm not the only one. There is a silent protest going on right now...a referendum against high priced consoles. And if the trend continues neither the 360 nor the PS3 will drop in price. They will simply add "value" and release uber-skus that make the lower tiered skus useless and clearance stock.

It is time to wake up to the catastrophe. It is time to pull back a bit of your confidence and start practicing humility. These are strange times for Sony just as they were for Nintendo during the 64 era. Even Mario and Zelda couldn't save them then. Ratchet, FF, and MGS may be coming and may be amazing, but will they be enough?

But the GC never made a kickass Zelda game they made a cell sheded game, they never made a kickass Mario game, they made sunshine. Nintendo never even made more then one Zelda game until the wii was out. Sony on the other hand will have more then one great FF game and GTA game and MGS game and GT game. Along with great FPS games, something the GC never had, they had two MP games. More then one Jak game and more then one ratchet game. These games will sell a system.

twesterm said:
Psh, you don't buy the PS3 for games, you buy for the promise of great games. You know, like Lair.

Ha, hilarious!

Seriously, though -- he's trying to suggest that games will get better, as we all know, and they'll get better on the 360 and they'll get better on the Wii.  There is nothing special about the PS3 hardware that suggests games will magically be a ton better 4-6 years down the line.  In terms of relative standards, they'll be disappointing.  The PS4 will be out by then, after all, as will Microsoft's next offering. 

GranTurismo said:
But the GC never made a kickass Zelda game they made a cell sheded game, they never made a kickass Mario game, they made sunshine. Nintendo never even made more then one Zelda game until the wii was out. Sony on the other hand will have more then one great FF game and GTA game and MGS game and GT game. Along with great FPS games, something the GC never had, they had two MP games. More then one Jak game and more then one ratchet game. These games will sell a system.

My point is that it is all about momentum and perception.  I will not debate with you the quality of Nintendo's Gamecube lineup.  That point is moot, especially considering the overall high criticism of each of those games.  Rather, this story is always about what is cool and what is not.  Right now the 360 is cool.  The 360 is the cool guy that smokes cigarettes and wears a jean jacket in those bad eighties movies.  The PS3...that's the jock.  That's the high school hunk that everyone loves to see fall flat on his face when his friends laugh at him and his girlfriend leaves.  Then he wrecks the car and you see him cry as his Dad gets out the can of whoopass.  As a consumer culture we love to watch the fall.  Why do you think we spend so much ink on Britney Spears these days.  Surely she isn't worthy of our attention, except as a pinata.  So too it is with Sony right now.  Do you really think Sony's PR can save them from this?  Games don't sell systems.  Hype sells systems.  Ask XBOX 1.  They had an amazing library.  But it was the doldrums for them, too.  Sony is not immune to market backlash.  Is that so difficult to understand or entertain?

I have been wanting to complete my NextGen purchases and buy a PS3 for some time now (Already have 360 and Wii)... But, I look over the fence and don't see anything that makes me want to buck up the dough enough to get one... Resistance and Gears are similar... Lair looks to be a failure, Warhawk has potential but one game doesn't make the console.

I will continue to be patient and wait for something truely exceptional to come out... That looks like it might not happen until Killzone 2 and MGS4... But, by that time, my 360 and Wii libraries will be massive and those games may be just a drop in the bucket compared to the extensive libraries for Wii and 360.

Sony is in a tight spot, and they need something to move systems so they can get the install base required to build those 4-6 year project games. 4-6 years is a long time for consoles. That probably puts us in the next NextGen where even the Wii 2 will have more then the PS3 for processing and graphics. And for a much better price.

There is no tomorrow in the console market. You need to deliver today... Sony to date, has not delivered.