By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo Wars ALREADY Showing Better LEGS than Killzone 2? ~ Why & Is it good?

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
Max King of the Wild said:
one fact (and only one ill rehash since im not going to get sucked into this all again since itll all get ignored anyway) is the game couldnt of been in development much longer than 3.5 years since GG had two full ps2 games and a psp games being worked on at the time not to mention devkits werent made availble till 2006 which i know some devs got sooner but i wouldnt say gg was one. mostly launch and sooner than later titles. not to mention sony bought gg basically in 2006.(which supports gg not getting devkits because most likely 1st party got em first)

that pretty much puts a damper on the 'kz2 in development for at least 5 years' arguement that people like to use to inflat cost

Sony had Killzone 2 costs way earlier than that.  You think paying for that CGI trailer was cheap?  You think that bringing in two (at least) external Sony 1st party studios to help Guerrilla Games (themselves with over 120 employees for some time) was cheap?

But I agree with your last point.  I do not think that Killzone 2 was in active and large-scale development for nearly five years.

"bringing in two (at least) external Sony 1st party studios"

What on earth are you talking about?  The fact that Guerilla had help from other Sony studios?  You do know that's just how Sony's studios work, right?  They converse and share tips and tricks on how to do different stuff with their engines.  People aren't flown around or anything like that, outside of the producers who are generaly producing 3-4 games at a time.  They just give each other a call, send e-mails, chat at trade shows where they might meet up, or have lunch together, if they're in the same city (Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica are literally right down the street from each other, and they're always getting together to chat about stuff).  If you watch the credits of Uncharted, Naughty Dog thanks 7-8 other studios for their help with game, ranging from Insomniac, to Polyphony Digital, to even Guerrilla.   They actually went to Guerrilla to find a solution to a problem they had with flickering shadows before the game was released.

Ultimately, Killzone 2 was made by Guerrilla Games.  Sony didn't fly in dozens of game designers to make sure Guerrilla got things right.  In fact, all the same team leaders from Killzone held their same positions on the Killzone 2 project.  The original 40 man team was still there, and they made it a requirement that you had to live in the Netherlands to get a job on the team while they were expanding.  It was all home grown.  It was Guerrilla's game.

It gets really annoying when you just make shit up about the game to attack it.  "The game is probably the most expensive game ever.  Half of Sony's first party worked on it because Guerrilla can't do anything themselves.  Microsoft could've made at least 4 more Gears games for the same price."  Just shut up already.

And obviously Killzone 2 wasn't in development for five years, considering the fact that Killzone and Shellshocked weren't even released five years ago. 

Edit:

Sorry for flipping out, but it just gets old.  You've been saying the same crap for months now, and you ignore anyone that tries to tell you otherwise.

Are those supposed to be quotes from me?  Because I have no recollection of saying anything of the sort...

To my knowledge, Shenmue or GTAIV is the most expensive game ever.  See the problem with your argument is that you take some of the more outlandish comments fanboys make and use it as justification to ignore the reasonable ones.  Guerilla DID have 120 employees working on Killzone 2 for some time.  Guerilla DID receive substantial support from other Sony first party studios.  The argument that this always happens doesn't change the fact that it costs money.

And AGAIN.  I do not believe that Killzone 2 was in active development for five years...

And how would this be expensive?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
starcraft said:

Are those supposed to be quotes from me?  Because I have no recollection of saying anything of the sort...

To my knowledge, Shenmue or GTAIV is the most expensive game ever.  See the problem with your argument is that you take some of the more outlandish comments fanboys make and use it as justification to ignore the reasonable ones.  Guerilla DID have 120 employees working on Killzone 2 for some time.  Guerilla DID receive substantial support from other Sony first party studios.  The argument that this always happens doesn't change the fact that it costs money.

And AGAIN.  I do not believe that Killzone 2 was in active development for five years...

And how would this be expensive?

Technically I didn't say it was.  I asked someone if they thought it was cheap .

But jokes aside, we dont know what they did.  Certainly it was noted in a way that was above and beyond the other titles that were mentioned by Makingmusic, so it is quite possible that there was a substantial cost involved.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
Max King of the Wild said:
one fact (and only one ill rehash since im not going to get sucked into this all again since itll all get ignored anyway) is the game couldnt of been in development much longer than 3.5 years since GG had two full ps2 games and a psp games being worked on at the time not to mention devkits werent made availble till 2006 which i know some devs got sooner but i wouldnt say gg was one. mostly launch and sooner than later titles. not to mention sony bought gg basically in 2006.(which supports gg not getting devkits because most likely 1st party got em first)

that pretty much puts a damper on the 'kz2 in development for at least 5 years' arguement that people like to use to inflat cost

Sony had Killzone 2 costs way earlier than that.  You think paying for that CGI trailer was cheap?  You think that bringing in two (at least) external Sony 1st party studios to help Guerrilla Games (themselves with over 120 employees for some time) was cheap?

But I agree with your last point.  I do not think that Killzone 2 was in active and large-scale development for nearly five years.

"bringing in two (at least) external Sony 1st party studios"

What on earth are you talking about?  The fact that Guerilla had help from other Sony studios?  You do know that's just how Sony's studios work, right?  They converse and share tips and tricks on how to do different stuff with their engines.  People aren't flown around or anything like that, outside of the producers who are generaly producing 3-4 games at a time.  They just give each other a call, send e-mails, chat at trade shows where they might meet up, or have lunch together, if they're in the same city (Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica are literally right down the street from each other, and they're always getting together to chat about stuff).  If you watch the credits of Uncharted, Naughty Dog thanks 7-8 other studios for their help with game, ranging from Insomniac, to Polyphony Digital, to even Guerrilla.   They actually went to Guerrilla to find a solution to a problem they had with flickering shadows before the game was released.

Ultimately, Killzone 2 was made by Guerrilla Games.  Sony didn't fly in dozens of game designers to make sure Guerrilla got things right.  In fact, all the same team leaders from Killzone held their same positions on the Killzone 2 project.  The original 40 man team was still there, and they made it a requirement that you had to live in the Netherlands to get a job on the team while they were expanding.  It was all home grown.  It was Guerrilla's game.

It gets really annoying when you just make shit up about the game to attack it.  "The game is probably the most expensive game ever.  Half of Sony's first party worked on it because Guerrilla can't do anything themselves.  Microsoft could've made at least 4 more Gears games for the same price."  Just shut up already.

And obviously Killzone 2 wasn't in development for five years, considering the fact that Killzone and Shellshocked weren't even released five years ago. 

Edit:

Sorry for flipping out, but it just gets old.  You've been saying the same crap for months now, and you ignore anyone that tries to tell you otherwise.

They're obviously exaggerated to some degree, but they are similar to what you say time and time again.  Guerrilla did not recieve substantial support from other Sony studios, outside of the normal assistance that is provided via the SCEWWS relationship. Fellow studios were not shipped out in any way to Guerrilla Games to help them out, and I can provide direct quotes from Guerrilla Games employees to prove this.

And yes, Killzone 2 was expensive, but you always try to make it out to be far more expensive than it was by comparing your own made up figures to the slimmed down budget of Gears of War, when everybody knows that Gears of War's budget does not include the creation of its engine, unlike games like MGS4 and GTAIV.

And yes, Geurrilla is now over 120 employees.  In fact, they're closer to 150.  But when you take into account other devs  with similar team sizes and games with similar dev cycles, you'll see that that doesn't mean the game cost as high as $80 million (or 8x Gears of War's budget, as you put it, though it did probably cost more than your low end figure of $40 million).  Look at MGS4.  It had a 3.5 year dev cycle (if not longer, given the fact that they had in-game footage at TGS05, and the fact that Kojima mentioned in his talk today that he had originally planned to make the MGS after MGS2 on next-gen consoles, but then realized they were still a few years away, so he went on with Snake Eater), it had a team of over 150 guys for that entire dev cycle, carrying over from MGS3 (while Guerrilla Games were still building their team throughout Killzone 2's development, given that they were only recently bought by Sony), and developers in Japan (and NA) are paid significantly more than those in Amsterdam.  All this, and MGS4 reportedly only cost around $50 million to develop.  Do you really think Killzone 2 somehow managed to top that?

But my main issue with your posts is that you act as if it was Sony that made this game, and not Guerrilla.  You act like without Sony shipping in other studios to help them out, or whatever, Geurrilla wouldn't have been able to create this game.  In your attempt to downplay this game, you're belittling all effort that the guys at Geurrilla put into this.  They managed to make a great game, and you're acting as if they only did it because Sony gave them magic gloves or something.

To Say that GG didn't receive substantial support from other Sony studios would be ludicrous... these guys' best game before KZ2 was KZ1... and if you want to be a dick you can alway put in the price of purchasing the studio to make sure that this game didn't go Multi-platform. You just don't go from a substandard studio to making one of the best games released this gen by hiring some locals... it wouldn't surprise me at all if the collaboration was with all major Sony studios in Europe and some in the US.

Cueil said:
To Say that GG didn't receive substantial support from other Sony studios would be ludicrous... these guys' best game before KZ2 was KZ1... and if you want to be a dick you can alway put in the price of purchasing the studio to make sure that this game didn't go Multi-platform. You just don't go from a substandard studio to making one of the best games released this gen by hiring some locals... it wouldn't surprise me at all if the collaboration was with all major Sony studios in Europe and some in the US.

No it wasn't! Killzone: Liberation was awesome!

@ starcraft

And what proof of that do you have?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Halo Wars is selling well closing in on 1 million sales ltd. RTS genre though. What can I say a boring genre for a game. Shame there is no mouse and keyboard and more PC fans would of bought the game. br />
Killzone 2 (FPS) is expected to outsell Halo Wars (RTS).

outlawauron said:
Cueil said:

No it wasn't! Killzone: Liberation was awesome!

@ starcraft

And what proof of that do you have?

Oh snap!  I totally forgot about that one... but I will... not count it because it was on the PSP :p and it has a much lower standard than a full PS3 game... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

it's because Halo Wars is in it's 3rd week in US and not in it's 4th

All I know is that Halo Wars is one of the best RTS games on consoles, and it has been well received, and it is performing well in sales...HW had some pretty high hurdles to hop over, and LOTS of baggage, and it did it with style and grace. I've played my share of RTS on the PC, and imho, the multiplayer in HW is fun fun fun...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

@MM
Seriously calm down before you give yourself an ulcer.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000