By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Banning of (violent) video games

Brown will study new rules on violent videogames

Mark Androvich 18:58 (BST) 04/09/2007

Citizens' Jury allows public input

On the heels of a recently announced Conservative Party mini-manifesto on violent videogames, UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has outlined plans for a public review of violent and sexual imagery in games.

According to the Daily Mirror, Brown promised to look again at banning violent videogames.

"I know... that parents are concerned about whether children are too exposed to harmful violence and sexual imagery in video computer games and on the internet," said Brown, "so as we launch the court consultation on our children's plan we will be looking at all the evidence on the effects of this material, whether we need new rules for the advertising and sale of these products to children and young people."

Mr. Brown intends to put the plans to a "Citizens' Jury" this week, in which members of the public will have a direct influence on policymaking, airing their views and offering suggestions.

Another "Citizens' Jury" on crime and gang warfare will follow next week.

Mr. Brown said that "It will look at how we can empower people to work with police to tackle crime and antisocial behaviour."

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28328

And then there is such a thing called parenting. 

Around the Network

That's really pathetic that someone as important as the prime minister of the uk is even bothering to address this issue. Study after study has proven violent video games do not incite real life violence.

Another "Citizens' Jury" on crime and gang warfare will follow next week.

Classic! I love how they tackle those really important issues like crime, gang warfare, and of course the root of all evil gaming. /sarcasm

Do these guys take themselves seriously? Considering the severe lack of evidence for video games being the cause of anything shy of sore thumbs and eyestrain it is ludicrous for government officials to be dealing with this issue when other issues like gang warfare would provide far more benefit to be dealt with sooner. I just cannot understand how video games comes on the list before gang warfare in public policy issues.../boggle...

To Each Man, Responsibility
damkira said:
That's really pathetic that someone as important as the prime minister of the uk is even bothering to address this issue. Study after study has proven violent video games do not incite real life violence.

what studies?  references please.  i'm interested in learning more about this whole issue.

the Wii is an epidemic.

my country needs an enema too... these assholes need a job.

Around the Network

Jesus... There's never been a single speck of research that even suggests that GAMES are cause of violence in any way, shape or form! I hate this subject!! 500 years ago, kids watched public behadings and hangings and frequently witnessed jousting or even battle, I think they were a bit more receptive to violent impulses than we who play games... Agreed? I've played games all my life end never so much as got into a fight.

Britain has really taken a turn towards the police state in the last decade. I'm not sure if I could live comfortably in that country with all the CCTVs and identity cards. :(

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

When I saw the story I expected the link to come from the Daily Mail.

I don't really understand the problem, violent games are given a 15 or 18 rating so children cannot buy them. It's the same safeguard we use for films, and pretty much the same for alcohol and knives so as far as I'm concerned children aren't exposed to them, unless parents buy it for them.

I used to work in a primary school, most kids weren't effected by games or films but I think that some are. It's mostly the ones that have violent tendencies anyway, so games aren't the root cause of the problem. Thing is, when the kids are running around punching and kicking each other and a teacher stops them and asks what they are doing, they say they are playing GTA3.

The kids are aggresive anyway, but I think they do take some ideas and influence from games. But as I said earlier, that's the parents fault for getting the kids games for adults.

I'm all in for making sure the age restrictions are enforced, but these things tend to end up making life harder for us responsible adults. Hopefully some people who know what they're talking about voice their opinions on that "Citizens' Jury" he's planning on having.

oh how my country has fallen =(

the problem is, the media will just hype this up, and get parents across the country to say video games are evil. "I can't belive my 10 year old kid is playing GTA, its dreadful." Of course no one will realize that all games carry age rating, and the parent has to actually make an effort *gasp* to pay attention to them.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk