By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Netflix! No longer X360 exclusive service?! Coming to PS3! O.o

I cancelled my Netflix early this month, but it was an awesome service. I recommend it to everyone.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
axumblade said:
Legend11 said:
It would be interesting to see the biggest backer of Blu-Ray supporting the format's biggest threat, digital movie downloads.

You're about 9 months late with this statement....

There's a big difference when it comes to what Netflix represents. How many people with a subscription to Netflix would go out and purchase a Blu-Ray copy of a movie when it's available on NetFlix and they have already basically paid for that copy of it? It's also far cheaper when you consider what you're getting for your money.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about... Also with the rapidly rising amount of competition to Blu-Ray (much more than DVD ever faced) I can't help but wonder if Sony's falling fortunes in this tough economy will spread to the format as well.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33413/Blu-ray-losing-out-to-downloads#after_ad

You were still caught with your foot in you mouth when you clearly didn't know what you were saying...

"It would be interesting to see the biggest backer of Blu-Ray supporting the format's biggest threat, digital movie downloads."

...because the PS3 offers digital downloads to rent and own which also allow for playback on the PSP.  Besides, now many people go out to watch a movie and then later decide to buy that same movie to watch again and to own it on some optical format?  This is very common.  We all know that.  So they are paying to see it at the theaters and then later purchasing a physical copy.  Nothing wrong with that while that same principle can be applied to Netflix as well.  And you also have your growing HD A/V enthusiasts who are enjoying 1080p and HD audio ONLY from Blu-ray, not Netflix, not anywhere else for now.  And you posting a link from just one region doesn't back your false claim...

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20090306/166839/

See.  Positive Blu-ray news that's newer than yours.  You need to see the big picture and not just narrow your view to fuel your anti-productive agenda.  Enlighten yourself by going to www.blu-ray.com, and there will be no denying that Blu-ray is becoming more and more a supported and viable format from hardware makers, content providers, and users.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Honestly I'm very happy with the PSN video store because I don't rent movies that often but I guess this would be great for anyone who watches a lot of movies.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

MattAAron said:
@NanakiXI no problem :D I was simply making a joke of it all... as thats how I really take this whole thing since it all came from a survey...

and I was kind of bored too :D

Your right though, with the internet/technology these days, not even a video is proof enough, you can easily fake anything :/

Guess we'll find out the truth down the road

Yeah sorry I tend to type angry for some reason sometimes. 

A little too much emotion comes out when I'm typing.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

There is already a service like this on PS3. I don't see how Wii could do it. Even a couple min. clips cannot stream without messing up on my Wii.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network

Makes sense, why wouldn't they rent to all consoles? Heck, there are more Wii's than anything else out there this gen and they have Wifi and no movie playback - ideal fit really.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

axumblade said:
Legend11 said:
axumblade said:
Legend11 said:
It would be interesting to see the biggest backer of Blu-Ray supporting the format's biggest threat, digital movie downloads.

You're about 9 months late with this statement....

There's a big difference when it comes to what Netflix represents.  How many people with a subscription to Netflix would go out and purchase a Blu-Ray copy of a movie when it's available on NetFlix and they have already basically paid for that copy of it?  It's also far cheaper when you consider what you're getting for your money.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about...  Also with the rapidly rising amount of competition to Blu-Ray (much more than DVD ever faced) I can't help but wonder if Sony's falling fortunes in this tough economy will spread to the format as well.

That's pretty interesting how your initial statement was about digital movie downloads yet your followup was about Netflix, which on the 360 at least, is a streaming service, not so much of a download. I mean, if you feel the need to change what you're saying then feel free.

It is quite hard for me to get my finger around the idea of something so obscure as downloading movies could ever compensate for the ever dominant blu-ray player that every household seems to have. I mean everyone has a blu-ray player but I don't think I know anybody that has a computer.

Also, what's so wrong with Sony having Netflix on the PS3? Then I can stream the same old movies that my 360 does. ;)

Sony has a major problem on its hands and it's the same one they faced with betamax.  It's losing HD TV marketshare to Vizio.  It's losing console marketshare to Nintendo and Microsoft.  It's been mauled by Apple with its portable music players. It's losing because at the end of the day it's the mass market and not a few elite that will decide what the standard will be.  The bad news for Sony is that the bad economy is only going to make things worse for them.

People are free to live in denial, but the truth is that everywhere you look digital downloading services are starting up or growing.  Hell Sony even sees it with it's failed UMD format but will never admit it with Blu-Ray because they gambled away so much on it.  I guess we can revisit this in a year or two but I'm willing to bet when we do the future of the format will be much more obvious, even to those that refuse to see it.

Legend11 said:
axumblade said:

People are free to live in denial, but the truth is that everywhere you look digital downloading services are starting up or growing.  Hell Sony even sees it with it's failed UMD format but will never admit it with Blu-Ray because they gambled away so much on it.  I guess we can revisit this in a year or two but I'm willing to bet when we do the future of the format will be much more obvious, even to those that refuse to see it.

Only when broadband penetration,speed as well as hardware reliability and finally consumer mindset changes will digital distribution take the spotlight.  Not until.  Blu-Ray is rapidly expanding and everyone in the movie industry (From Producers, Studios, Retailers, etc have a stake in seeing that market continue to expand.).  This is why it will continue onwards. 

I'm sorry but when it takes me 2 hours to download a movie,  I have almost no interest in waiting for that.  I would rather drive 10 minutes to Blockbuster or a Red Box and watch a movie.

Rpruett said:
Legend11 said:
axumblade said:

Only when broadband penetration,speed as well as hardware reliability and finally consumer mindset changes will digital distribution take the spotlight.  Not until.  Blu-Ray is rapidly expanding and everyone in the movie industry (From Producers, Studios, Retailers, etc have a stake in seeing that market continue to expand.).  This is why it will continue onwards. 

I'm sorry but when it takes me 2 hours to download a movie,  I have almost no interest in waiting for that.  I would rather drive 10 minutes to Blockbuster or a Red Box and watch a movie.

A think is very reasonable that digital download will be another viable option to the consumer when it fit that particular need.  But that doesn't mean that Blu-ray cannot be another viable option as well which so far it is.  People are free to live in denial, but Blu-ray is the only consumer choice that allows for full 1080p and HD audio even to those who refuse to believe it.  And are downloads and/or streaming such a threat to Blu-ray?  In fact, some standalone Blu-ray players are designed with Netflix streaming options such as the newer Samsung and Panasonic players.

axumblade said:
Legend11 said:
axumblade said:
Legend11 said:

There's a big difference when it comes to what Netflix represents.  How many people with a subscription to Netflix would go out and purchase a Blu-Ray copy of a movie when it's available on NetFlix and they have already basically paid for that copy of it?  It's also far cheaper when you consider what you're getting for your money.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about...  Also with the rapidly rising amount of competition to Blu-Ray (much more than DVD ever faced) I can't help but wonder if Sony's falling fortunes in this tough economy will spread to the format as well.

That's pretty interesting how your initial statement was about digital movie downloads yet your followup was about Netflix, which on the 360 at least, is a streaming service, not so much of a download. I mean, if you feel the need to change what you're saying then feel free.

It is quite hard for me to get my finger around the idea of something so obscure as downloading movies could ever compensate for the ever dominant blu-ray player that every household seems to have. I mean everyone has a blu-ray player but I don't think I know anybody that has a computer.

Also, what's so wrong with Sony having Netflix on the PS3? Then I can stream the same old movies that my 360 does. ;)

Sony has a major problem on its hands and it's the same one they faced with betamax.  It's losing HD TV marketshare to Vizio.  It's losing console marketshare to Nintendo and Microsoft.  It's been mauled by Apple with its portable music players. It's losing because at the end of the day it's the mass market and not a few elite that will decide what the standard will be.  The bad news for Sony is that the bad economy is only going to make things worse for them.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't clear enough when I said "if you feel the need  to change what you're saying then feel free."

Sony are doing digital downloading services....Jeez you are thick headed.

I understand that Sony is in financial trouble, but what we are talking about has nothing to do with their televisions or the console wars. I'm not going to argue with you about a company that is having financial problems. I am going to simply point out that you either don't know how to stay on topic or you're too busy trying to back yourself out of a corner by changing the subject of our conversation.

Yep.