By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Thread

RolStoppable said:
naznatips said:
Well, okay then here are my main problems (again, not huge, but enough to bother me a bit):

1) Although the story was very good, the delivery was not. Text could go on for 5 minutes plus of straight reading without any break. The places where voice acting was used were delivered excellently, and I wish that the voice acting had been used more.

2) The characters were not all balanced. Ike, Jill, Kieran, Soren, Oscar, Reyson, and Boyd were significantly better than other characters. Mia, Ulki, Rofl, Janaff, Elincia, Bastian, Lucia, and Shinon (among others) are practically worthless. There are also tons of mid-range characters, but if you played through the game a couple times, by the 3rd you knew exactly who was worthwhile and who wasn't.

3) Although the gameplay is good, and I enjoyed it, I think it's to the point that they could make it a little deeper. I don't want them to throw out the formula or anything of the sort, but I would like them to expand on it and make it a little deeper. I don't know how much has been changed in Radiant Dawn though. I'll have to look into it.

4) My biggest Pet Peeve: Fights that are won or lost on nothing but luck. The Black Knight is one such fight. Basically, if Aether procs enough, you win. If not, you lose. That annoys the heck out of me, especially in a strategy game.

Anyway, it's good, just not perfect. I'll be certain to pick up Radiant Dawn when it comes out.

1) Agreed, although it was necessary to tell the story.

2) Mia and Rolf are actually good characters in their higher class. Anyway, not everyone should be a good character, otherwise it wouldn't make much of a difference which ones you choose and if you are up to a challenge use the worthless ones.

3) PoR added a few things the GBA games didn't have. Units with horses could move after attacks for example.

4) That's what really sucked the most. Absolutely agreed.

EDIT: So you didn't play hard mode? Well, that's where you get deeper gameplay. You have to plan the combats better, because your enemies are stronger (plus there are more in a few chapters) and you gain less experience.

No I didn't play Hard Mode.  Are you recommending that I do so? 

Anyway, overall we seem to agree.  Fire Emblem is a great series, and I think it has a bright future.  Whether I like it as well as other games is really irrelevant.  The point is that I like it, despite it's flaws, and I am looking forward to RD and future titles on the Wii after it.  

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
naznatips said:
Well, okay then here are my main problems (again, not huge, but enough to bother me a bit):

1) Although the story was very good, the delivery was not. Text could go on for 5 minutes plus of straight reading without any break. The places where voice acting was used were delivered excellently, and I wish that the voice acting had been used more.

2) The characters were not all balanced. Ike, Jill, Kieran, Soren, Oscar, Reyson, and Boyd were significantly better than other characters. Mia, Ulki, Rofl, Janaff, Elincia, Bastian, Lucia, and Shinon (among others) are practically worthless. There are also tons of mid-range characters, but if you played through the game a couple times, by the 3rd you knew exactly who was worthwhile and who wasn't.

3) Although the gameplay is good, and I enjoyed it, I think it's to the point that they could make it a little deeper. I don't want them to throw out the formula or anything of the sort, but I would like them to expand on it and make it a little deeper. I don't know how much has been changed in Radiant Dawn though. I'll have to look into it.

4) My biggest Pet Peeve: Fights that are won or lost on nothing but luck. The Black Knight is one such fight. Basically, if Aether procs enough, you win. If not, you lose. That annoys the heck out of me, especially in a strategy game.

Anyway, it's good, just not perfect. I'll be certain to pick up Radiant Dawn when it comes out.

1) Agreed, although it was necessary to tell the story.

2) Mia and Rolf are actually good characters in their higher class. Anyway, not everyone should be a good character, otherwise it wouldn't make much of a difference which ones you choose and if you are up to a challenge use the worthless ones.

3) PoR added a few things the GBA games didn't have. Units with horses could move after attacks for example.

4) That's what really sucked the most. Absolutely agreed.

EDIT: So you didn't play hard mode? Well, that's where you get deeper gameplay. You have to plan the combats better, because your enemies are stronger (plus there are more in a few chapters) and you gain less experience.

All mounted units can move after attacking in the GBA games if they had any leftover movement, I think. But I could be wrong, the GBA version might only be restricted to actions such as visiting a house.

RolStoppable said:
naznatips said:

No I didn't play Hard Mode. Are you recommending that I do so?

Anyway, overall we seem to agree. Fire Emblem is a great series, and I think it has a bright future. Whether I like it as well as other games is really irrelevant. The point is that I like it, despite it's flaws, and I am looking forward to RD and future titles on the Wii after it.

Yes, I would recommend it because you said that you wanted deeper gameplay. On hard you have to take advantage of the weapon triangle whenever you can, don't use Titania at all if possible because she only gets like 1 or 2 exp per kill and like 20 exp from a boss in the first few chapters. You get overall less experience, there is actually fog in certain chapters and more enemies, which are stronger and have better accuracy.

Sounds like a good challenge. As soon as I break my Metroid Prime 3 and Rune Factory addictions (I can't put these damn games down), I'll be sure to try it out.

Edit: and very off-topic.  Anyone who likes Harvest Moon and RPGs needs to get Rune Factory.  It's amazing.  

Oh, and Rol, if you want a heads-up for the difficulty in RD, I'll let you know that it's about the same as PoR, at times it can be harder (final chapters can be quite annoying), but it's overall the same difficulty. Pray that Maniac mode is in the NA/PAL version if you want a better challenge.

I wish they would re-implement the map mode that they had for FE8, I always enjoyed wandering around and going into battles on my own in SRPG games. :-/

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

I've really gotta beat the last Fire Emblem. Dang my tendencies for leveling everyone up equally that makes the fire emblem games tougher. Well that and never using the bonus EXP they give you in this one. I really should use that.

A direct sequel is surpring. Honesly i perfer the route they took in previous fire emblems. Where they had Roy, and his father. Fire emblem is one of the reasons i got a GBA... despite hating handhelds.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game, and I really feel like I've missed out on something. I've been in love with the tactical RPG genre since the first time I saw Shining Force. This is definately a game which I have my eye on.

I have yet to see a single copy of FE: PoR for sale in any of my local game stores. T_T

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

When all else fails, try eBay. It could be my community, but there's quite a few copies of the game at my local GameStop.

im also picking this up in day 1..

once it eventually get released in europe that is.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

So this is going to be a good game, huh? Somehow I didn't even know this franchise existed until this generation. Wonder what rock I've been living under. Is this a niche game or will it have mass appeal?