By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here knows it is illegal to..

I actually use Napster now, because Brightspot.tv, the service where you watch ads for money, added Napster to the list of sponsers.

So I watch an additional half hour of advertisements each month for a month of unlimited mp3 downloads. Not bad...and I can quit whenever I want.

I'll just be honest, I can find all the music I want and it's not costing me anything - music I can't even find on torrents or other programs like Limewire.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Neos said:
that's why i use other ways *evil laughter*

mIRC&torrent&usenet ftw

yes torrents, mother natures most evil file type. I love them =]

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

BenKenobi88 said:
I suppose. You still are in possession of music you did not pay for...that has to be illegal somehow...even if you'll never get caught.

And also...not allowing others to download from you is just leeching...and if everyone did that the system wouldn't work...

Well people often compare the legality of downloading to stealing.....which isn't really accurate because the person that you are downloading from isn't charging.     As for your second point, I wholeheartedly agree, but that is the irony of the situation that you introduce when you try to protect yourself.  Either way, I've downloaded in the past but I don't think that the feds will be banging on my door anytime soon for having done something that most of america basically does. 

That said kenobi, I'm in the middle about this whole music downloading stuff.  Sure, its bringing a lot of music companies down - sony included- but the music companies are just going to have to learn to deal with the new technology and adapt with it.  Thats been the story of business since the first caveman sold the first stone wheel.  Btw, I don't download music anymore, b/c doing that has put way too many bugs on my computer in the past and I hate having to reinstall XP and deal with reinstalling everything that I want to use.  Have you ever downloaded a song and once you've played it, you heard a few seconds of good music and then static?  I think that the music companies are putting these "fake" mp3s out there to shake up the music download system...I wouldn't be surprised if they just let a bunch of mp3s with viruses attached either.  

ssj12 said:
I downloaded limewire pro through limewire to download music =] lmfao

I also did that :)

Once again pro makes it profitable and legal for them, NOT for you.

Around the Network

Right now i'm downloading two Hd movies over torrents, plus i just downlaoded 3 other HD movies the other day, and about 15 cd's worth of music, i'm not hurting anyone. This is stuff i would not buy in stores so infact it hurts nobody, plus i always upload more then i take so all-in-all i feel like i'm helping :)

Plus my very big collection of DivX movies, it's almost time to buy another HDD :)

got 50s new album, kind mehh.

Just so you know...the stance that "I wouldn't buy this, so I'm not hurting anyone" argument is complete crap.

I don't really care if you download movies or music...I won't claim innocent myself.

But trying to justify it with stuff like that is ridiculous. "Music companies don't get with the times...we're teaching them a lesson about increasing security"...stuff like that. You want music companies to adapt? By "adapt," you mean either "free music" or more DRM and restrictions on downloading and keeping music files. So don't complain about DRM when you're forcing them to do it by torrenting and using Limewire.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ben, watch the south park episode where kenny downloads some song and then the whole government is on them

more proof the stars have enough money already through playing at concerts.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

By adapt, I mean that music companies will have to offer pay-for downloadable content or at the very least embrace the internet to a greater degree. I really don't even care about the ethics of the situation, but I do see the need for them to adapt from a business perspective....I mean whether you hate big companies or feel that downloading is wrong, I think that there are bigger issues out there - Dafur, terrorism, etc.