By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PlayStation brand name is the strongest brand name in video games

Ok.  Here goes....*deep breath*

A lot of the time, people say, "I'm going to play my Playstation," because they are ACTUALLY going to play their Playstation. With over 120 million units sold with the PS2 alone and so many games to pick from, there is a good chance that they are being literal. Same with the Nintendo. At the time, pretty much if someone was going to play a game, it would be on a Nintendo system. So just the probability of what system they have will influence what statement they would make. Not to mention what particular friends you hang out with. What I find more interesting is what the "media" and "parents" would psychologically deem as a gaming device. This I believe is what you are actually referring to, because when a person actually owns a console, usually they know what it is called. It is the general and subconscious adoption of the word by parents and other people who are not familiar and the mass consensus that drives the media that seems to generate the more interesting scenarios.

I believe that people say "Playstation" when they are talking about games in general for two reasons. First, the name Playstation just sounds like a generic term for a place to play video games. So regardless if you know the history behind the name, to the uninformed, it still sounds like an accurate word to use. Second of all, Playstation is still fresh on people's minds from ruling the last 2 generations. The general mass public does not subconsciously latch onto ideas unless surrounded by them for years, as has been the Playstation=Games idea and the Nintendo=Games idea before it. so there is bound to be some Playstation=Games crossover while the Wii establishes its place.

Back in the mid 80s, people would say "I'm going to play Nintendo." But in that time it was much more severe since Nintendo brought to the plate something that hadn't been seen of its kind. It literally "became" video games as there was nothing much to compare it to. That's why many people insist that Nintendo created the video game industry even though there was Atari, PCs, and Pong before it. They were huge and being such were able to establish many of the core trends and expectations that we see today. If we look at the current situation, if Wii continues as it has been for another generation, we can expect people will be saying, "I'm going to play Wii." I'd be interested to see if that ever becomes the case, though this could be an exceptional case because of the massive divide between Wii and the HD consoles.

It is possible, with the divide, that Wii is considered so different from the old way of playing, because of the PR psychology of the implemented Blue Ocean strategy, that people will make a new separation and call the old way of playing "Playstation" and the new way of playing "Wii." Where the parents won't play "Playstation" (old style games) they always are up for some "Wii" (new style games). It would also be interesting if in some deep subconscious they even start to make a distinction between a casual game being a "Wii" game and what we term "hardcore" as Playstation games regardless of the system it is on. And with an even further stretch, from the media point of view, games that are violent and should be banned and affect our children are "Playstation" games (The games they don't play and don't understand thus being taboo) while games that get you off your couch and you play with your family and on holidays/at partires are Wii games (The games that even the casuals and nongamers can understand).

Around the Network

^ :=/

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

where is the original post btw I don't see anything !!!!

TheThunder said:
where is the original post btw I don't see anything !!!!

Permabanned user loses all posts

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

arent the ps1 and ps2 the only console that sold 100m+ while the snes and nes only sold like 50m?

Around the Network
bRoKeN said:
arent the ps1 and ps2 the only console that sold 100m+ while the snes and nes only sold like 50m?

Only HOME consoles.... and NES sold like 60 or so million I thought...

(DS, GB broke 100m)

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

bRoKeN said:

That doesn't matter.  It is relative to the time period in which they were released.  While the NES and SNES only sold 62 and 50 million respectively, they still sold more than any other system during those times.  Of course each generation is going to see a certain amount of total growth and with each leap in userbase exposure, i.e. from Nintendo to Playstation and from Playstation to Wii, one can expect to see a shift toward a new massively accepted product and representative term.

mmnin said:
bRoKeN said:

That doesn't matter.  It is relative to the time period in which they were released.  While the NES and SNES only sold 62 and 50 million respectively, they still sold more than any other system during those times.  Of course each generation is going to see a certain amount of total growth and with each leap in userbase exposure, i.e. from Nintendo to Playstation and from Playstation to Wii, one can expect to see a shift toward a new massively accepted product and representative term.

OF COURSE IT MATTERS!!!

Not really NES sold 60 million, SNES sold 50 million. N64 sold 32 million, GameCube sold 21 million.

Sales does not equal how strong a brand name is. There is too many other variables at play that effect sales.

@RVDondaPC: That's partially correct, but i'd like to hear what the reasons are that break the relation between brand and sales?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.