By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are PS2 owners migrating to Xbox 360 instead of PS3?

Greenberg loves to ignore the Wii. It makes his world a little sunnier

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I think a good portion of PS2 owners are moving over to 360 and Wii, yes that's probably true. But remember that report thing with how much time people spend on which system and the PS2 was surprisingly one of the biggest? Well this shows me that there still are alot of PS2 owners who are waiting to grab the PS3 when it hits a lower price. Just like if they looked at the numbers I bet the majority of 360 owners owned an Xbox and the majority of Gamecube owners have or will switch over to the wii. That doesn't mean that there are still 100 million PS2 owners waiting to get a PS3, and I know this is just a guess with no real data to back it up, but I bet the majority (somewhere around 60%) of PS2 owners either own a PS3 or plan on buying one in the future. There is quite a strong brand loyalty in the videogame industry and I think we will start to see that when big PS2 franchises like God of War and Gran Turismo migrate to the PS3, especially if a price cut happens around that time as well.

i had a PS2 and ive gone 360/PS3/Wii

PS2 had a 140m Userbase, this gen they will breakdown like this imo:

PS3: 35m
360: 45m
Wii: 60m

I didn't quite straight up migrate to the 360, but it's my number one console now, and I was and am a big PS2 fan and owner.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

It all depends, I was a xbox fanboy last gen and now I only own a ps3. so maybe, just maybe it goes like this: xbox dudes went with sony because of wanting the more powerful hardware. Sony fanboys last gen got divided between the three consoles pretty evenly this gen. Or maybe everyone has two consoles like my cousin he was xbox fanboy and a sony fanboy last gen and now he is a two console dude that has a ps3 and a wii.

Around the Network

If i were Greenberg, I'd also like to spin things in a positive way to ensure a happy community and igore the bagage of net loss for my gaming division.

But since im not Greenberg, I just find it stupid.

ive detailed how i think people will migrate and how i think it will affect this gen in my thread, please let me know what you think

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=64976&page=1

It always seems unprofessional to me when executives at any company's take shots and go on rants at each other.

The generation before this one (PS2, XB, GCN) was basically PS2 and the "other" systems. Well, its changed. I think the PS2 owners are migrating to different systems. Xbox 360 has more content than Xbox. The first Xbox was an American console, with shooters and racers mostly. American gamers like American games, so the PS2 owners here aren't afraid to check the Xbox brand anymore. With Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and GTA now franchises in Xbox, its obvious that a $199-$299 Xbox 360 will be picked up over a $399-$499 PS3.

BUT... Many of my friends were PS2 junkies, they picked up the Xbox 360, but now that PS3 might drop its price to $299 by the end of the year, they are thinking of picking it up. Sony screwed up cuz of price and now its losing user base, but it hasn't totally lost them. The casual gamers of PS2 are going to Wii, especially cuz casual gamers are more likely to see $399-$499 for a game console as ridiculous.

The PlayStation brand name is stronger than you think. Only Sony can launch a $499-$599 system and still be in the race. Only Sony can sell a $499-$599 system in its first year and in two years sell 20 million units. Its like Apple and Nike. Its a brand name that is sure to keep fans and be seen as the defacto standard.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I didn't quite straight up migrate to the 360, but it's my number one console now, and I was and am a big PS2 fan and owner.

Same for me, even if I own a PS3 now, I switched from PS2 to 360.

Since then, 360 remains my preferred choice.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.