By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 1 Era is the Greatest, Period (GAMES WISE ~ Article)!!

PlayStation Era is the Greatest, Period

Amidst the excellent new games on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 today, gamers are still powering up their PlayStations playing classics they loved or missed. To put in in simple terms, nothing beats the time when the PlayStation hit our living room SDTVs. It all started on September 9, 1995 (approximately a year after Japan received the console).

Of course, the Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast came around during PlayStation's reign, trying to knock it off the throne. And while each system did pack some awesome game's such as the N64's Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. and the Dreamcast's Jet Grind Radio and Sonic Adventure, developers continually chose the PlayStation as their console of choice.

PlayStation was domicile of some of the greatest RPGs of all time. In 1997, Square Enix released the critically-acclaimed Final Fantasy VII on the console, getting almost perfect to perfect scores in nearly every review. This followed the release of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX, another of my personal favorites. Grandia was another RPG of choice released by Sony Computer Entertainment.

The console also featured many loved franchises that have went bad today. This includes the first three Crash Bandicoot titles, which were amazing back in the day and the first three Tony Hawk's Pro Skater titles. If only Crash wasn't sold to the now-gone Vivendi (transferred to Activision) where he was milked like a cow producing terrible games like Crash of the Titans. Poor guy.

And of course, who could forget Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Tekken 3, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Persona 2, Mega Man Legends, Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider, Fear Effect and Driver.Among all of these great titles, there were even more in greater abundance. Even a game like Digimon World 3 was pretty awesome, especially if you're an RPG fan.

Then there was Metal Gear Solid, considered by many to be the greatest game at all on the console. Metal Gear Solid was Hideo Kojima's pride and glory, containing the best stealth and action combination seen at the time, as well as including some of the best graphics of the time as well. Metal Gear Solid ended up with a 94 average review rating, shipping over six million copies worldwide.

Nowadays, many of us, including myself, sit back and put aside our PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 games for a couple of hours, and pop in the classics we have stowed away. Some part of us may be doing it for the memories of playing them in our youth, other parts may just be playing because the game is pure awesome. I know I'm doing it for both.

I just want to mention an add-on released for the console only in Japan, called the PocketStation. While it was only released in Japan, I owned one myself just because I'm a huge PlayStation fan. It was easily usable on North American PSones using the switch method when playing Japanese games to access features available to the PocketStation.

What the PocketStation's main function did was allow gamers to continue playing their PSone games on the go. Now of course, that doesn't mean the CD-ROM, but what it did was add a little feature to your PocketStation that you could later place back into your game save. The PockeStation's other main function was just adding some little side-games from that PlayStation game that you can play on the go. It also featured a clock, infrared communication capability, and doubled as a PlayStation memory card.

In the Japanese (and North American) release of Final Fantasy VIII, a PockeStation mini-game was added called Chocobo World. This allowed gamers to play as a Chocobo and grow your very own by advancing him through 100 different maps and experience many different events. Players could level up their Chocobos and fight each other through the infared communication on the PocketStation. Other games released in Japan, such as Pocket Digimon World, allowed you to bring along your creature, raise it on the go, then upload it back into the game.

Sony did extremely well in the PlayStation era. Starting from the release of the PlayStation in 1995 to the release of the newly designed PSone in 2000 (pictured above). The same goes for the traditional PlayStation controller to the DualShock controller and the Memory Card to the PocketStation. They were all an evolution for the first PlayStation, and they were damn good ones. It's an era that went down in history as a transformation in the world of gaming.

Sometimes I just want to go back to the times where we played games without worrying about the amount of trophies or achievements we had and that we played a game solely for the fun of the game. That's the PlayStation for you.

It's okay to live in the past, at least in this case.

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/03/playstation-era-is-the-greatest-period

WELL.......to each his own

for me PS days = FF, tomb Raider, GT (HE didn't even MENTION THIS)

But PS360 generation = BEST for me......its the generation that turned me into a hardcore gamer!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

The PS1 was a seed for this Generation with FF,MGS4 and GT and other games.

@garnett

no dude

SNES generation was the seed for FF, MGS

There were some damm good games, but this gen has been better, there have been just so many incredible games

(my 9,000th post... wooo)

darthdevidem01 said:
@garnett

no dude

SNES generation was the seed for FF, MGS

Oh Yea :p Your right,Snes was the seed for this Gen,PS1 was water to help it grow bigger!

Around the Network

@munkeh111

you are a true PS Fan

you made your 9,000th post in a THREAD ACCLAIMING the PS1 (the see for PS2, PS3 & the often overlooked PSP)

@garnett

PS1 Was the water full of special growth drugs....

PS2 was the sun....

Wii is the Pesticide saving it from insects as it gets bigger

____

BTW I was wrong

FF is fromt he NES gen....so NES is like the seed in its germination stage

darthdevidem01 said:
@garnett

PS1 Was the water full of special growth drugs....

PS2 was the sun....

Wii is the Pesticide saving it from insects as it gets bigger

____

BTW I was wrong

FF is fromt he NES gen....so NES is like the seed in its germination stage

Wait! Wasnt MGS First on PS1?

But I now have an Xbox... I do feel a little like a traitor, but I make up for it because between me and my brother, we have had 11 PS consoles.

1 PS1
3 PS2s (only 1 working 1 at a time)
4 PS3s (now have 2 working ones)
3 PSPs (2 launch PSPs, then I traded mine in for a slim & lite)

@garnett

but METAL GEAR was on SNES

n METAL GEAR showed Solid Snake "killing" Big Boss....so without METAL GEAR we wouldn't have MGS

@kowenicki

ditto....

people say grfx < Fun

but what if Grfx ENHANCE the fun.....thts what Ps3 (& 360 for you) have done