By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - An opinion - I want to want a Wii

Ok, don't worry, as you say, the Wii is the leader system and here is a list of coming games that you should be interested in:

Fatal Frame 4
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest X
The Conduit
Fragile
Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers
Cursed Mountain
Red Steel 2
Little King Story
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
No More Heroes 2

And all of them are from 3rd parties.

Around the Network

3rd parties are never going to come around to the point where stuff like MadWorld becomes a regularity. They're still going to be pussyfooting around the console, being cautious without betting on the least common denominator. There will be many more worthwhile 3rd party Wii games, but not some great profusion of them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

bardicverse said:

RE4 is a good entry point, because it doesnt rely on backstory much at all, and you wont have to deal with the cumbersome controls that the earlier RE games were known for. It WILL make your heart race, a lot. =)

While I know you said you're not much into the Nintendo franchises, I can vouch for Zelda: Twilight Princess. Definitely a good adventure game that tends to be more serious than most of its previous versions. Also, if you hadn't played it on the PS2, might be a good time to check out Okami, another adventure game with an interesting concept.

The Wii makes a good compliment to a HD console, since you can get the best of both worlds that way. I myself have a PC and a Wii, and minus for the rare game or 2, most HD console games make their way to the PC too. Plus there are a lot of PC only games. I have no desire for any other gaming systems in my house at this time, and I think once you get a Wii, you'll be truly content with your purchases too. When your Wii library lacks, you'll fall back onto your PS3. When a new, solid game comes to the Wii, you can switch over to that. Locking yourself away like some virgin princess, married to only one gaming platform is not healthy for a gamer. Diversify =)

Oh right! I forgot about Okami, I wanted to try that one too! And I think you are right about the falling back on my PS3, I hadn't thought about that. And you last sentence is just pure awesome

Bobbuffalo said:
Well what you just did was give an extremely personal point of view. I don't see where are you going with it or tell you besides an "ok, whatever" answer.

A very personal point of view indeed, but is it wrong to assume that other people out there feel like me? You can call it "Constructive critisicm on the Wii lineup IMO", and at least it's a different point of view than the typical "Wii doesn't have any games!" or "casuals on the Wii, bla bla bla"

Bobbuffalo said:
About the lazyness from the 3d parties...well it has been discussed here and everywhere ad nauseaum. The 3d parties became lazy, spoiled and elitist and they forgot what videogames are really made about (hint: NOT GRAPHICS).

Yes it has, but I'm not here to rip a new hole in this discussion, I am just pointing it out. And if I was a 3rd party developer watching Deadly Creatures from the sideline, while Wii Fit dominates the sales charts, I sure as hell would be in doubt about what to do with that platform and all the people wanting "hardcore" games on it.

Bobbuffalo said:
There are very good 3d party games but it seems that you want M rated hardcore stuff. There are mature games on the wii but seeing your post I don't think you'll like it.

Yes and no. M-rated games are by no means something I am going for specifically, but Killzone 2, Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3 and Dead Space are all good games. But games like LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise and Valkyria Chronicles are all great games that I probably like more than the four M-rated games I mentioned before. So, hardcore, I'd say so, but M-rated is not a criteria by a long shot.

Bobbuffalo said:
Bottomline: don't suffer and keep your PS3.

And I am a wii lover yeah, but each people should buy the console it fits better.

I will keep my PS3, and I will love it, but I want to love the Wii as well, and like with my PS3, it wont happen without more 3rd party games I have interest in.

DavidValbu said:
Ok, don't worry, as you say, the Wii is the leader system and here is a list of coming games that you should be interested in:

Fatal Frame 4
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest X
The Conduit
Fragile
Cursed Mountain
Red Steel 2
Little King Story
No More Heroes 2

These, but just take a look at this list:  http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=34940

If there aren't many games on that list that you like then I would refrain from getting wii this year. Maybe next year.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

griffinA said:
DavidValbu said:

Fatal Frame 4
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest X
The Conduit
Fragile
Cursed Mountain
Red Steel 2
Little King Story
No More Heroes 2

These, but just take a look at this list:  http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=34940

If there aren't many games on that list that you like then I would refrain from getting wii this year. Maybe next year.

Well, looking at that list, the problem becomes more obvious! Lack of western support!

Of the japanese games, I need to investigate Fatal Frame 4, Monster Hunter(s), Little King Story and No More Heroes 2. Those are the only japanese games I might have an interest in.

Red Steel was pretty mediocre as far as I can understand, so I'm cautios about the second one.

The Conduit is going to make or break with its control scheme for me I think (and I am confident it will hold up), but I would still like it to be nice in other areas, which I am not so sure about yet.

And I watched some of those new gameplay movies from Cursed Mountain on IGN earlier, and I really need some reviews/more gameplay before I can decide on it.

Around the Network

I can understand you concern. In fact, I think I have a similar issue with the 360 and PS3 at the moment - both systems seem pretty solid and I'd probably buy at least one of them, but they don't exactly cater to someone like myself, and thus lack enough "interesting enough" exclusive games to justify a purchase.

You've been given enough titles already, so I won't bother you with more. But if you have the money and can find enough interesting stuff to cover the consoles cost, then go for it. You can still sell the Wii online and probably make a profit if it doesn't work out for some reason.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Well, Wii is worth owning solely for Nintendo's first party support; Zelda, Mario , Brawl, Fire Emblem , Mario Kart etc. etc. are great games which will never be available on the PS3.

Then there are different ways of playing games like shooters, action games (NMH or The Conduit are good examples) and with motion plus coming soon the possibilities are endless.

If you own a Wii, you need to go run out and buy Madworld right now, IMO. Western Wii "hardcore" titles flop over and over again -- its beginning to be less of a coincidence, and much more of a trend. You can call me out for saying Madworld is a flop after only 1 week, if you like... but a game as hardcore as Madworld isn't going to appeal to the "legs" shopper, in my opinion -- if you were ever going to buy it, you already knew about it.

Before long, there won't be any motivation for non-casual gamers to own a Wii, outside of JRPGs and Nintendo 1st party titles.

Buy Madworld now! (it may be worth a fortune as a collector's item someday, for all you know)

Rainbird said:
griffinA said:
DavidValbu said:

Fatal Frame 4
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest X
The Conduit
Fragile
Cursed Mountain
Red Steel 2
Little King Story
No More Heroes 2

Well, looking at that list, the problem becomes more obvious! Lack of western support!

Of the japanese games, I need to investigate Fatal Frame 4, Monster Hunter(s), Little King Story and No More Heroes 2. Those are the only japanese games I might have an interest in.

Red Steel was pretty mediocre as far as I can understand, so I'm cautios about the second one.

The Conduit is going to make or break with its control scheme for me I think (and I am confident it will hold up), but I would still like it to be nice in other areas, which I am not so sure about yet.

And I watched some of those new gameplay movies from Cursed Mountain on IGN earlier, and I really need some reviews/more gameplay before I can decide on it.

Yes from your library of games I'd say you lean toward western tastes. Western Developers are more concerned with the art of games rather than the business side. So they will never fully embrace the wii. But there will be some western devs that do.

EA seems to have some interesting stuff coming, like Dead Space: Extraction, Spore Heroes and Boom Blox. They at least show some effort. Activision will keep cranking out Guitar Heroes and Call of Dutys. Hopefully the wii versions will be even better than the last ones. Retro Studios (yes they are western) will probably announce the game(s) they're working on at E3 this year. Ubisoft has Red Steel 2.......and that's it. Hopefully they get their crap together and release something worth while eventually. It's rumored that THQ might have another wii game or two in the works. High Voltage is releasing Animales de la muerte along with The Conduit. If The Conduit does well they will also do a sequel or two. Rockstar has said that they "can't ignore the wii" so i'd see them developing something original at this point.

I think that pretty much sums up where the wii is in western developer's eyes.

EDIT: The conduit has adjustable controls in every sense of the term so i'm sure you'll like the controls.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Procrastinato said:

If you own a Wii, you need to go run out and buy Madworld right now, IMO. Western Wii "hardcore" titles flop over and over again -- its beginning to be less of a coincidence, and much more of a trend. You can call me out for saying Madworld is a flop after only 1 week, if you like... but a game as hardcore as Madworld isn't going to appeal to the "legs" shopper, in my opinion -- if you were ever going to buy it, you already knew about it.

Before long, there won't be any motivation for non-casual gamers to own a Wii, outside of JRPGs and Nintendo 1st party titles.

Buy Madworld now! (it may be worth a fortune as a collector's item someday, for all you know)

Im sorry but which Western Wii hardcore title have bombed on the Wi?

Because i dont know any Western game that have a big budget and long development time, that have bombed on that console.

And no Deadly Creatures wont be an answer.