By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The true NEXT generation of multiplayer gameplay.

Battlefield 1942 holds a special place in my heart but it had it's hay-day in 2002. Battlefield 2 is still quite populair and should be picked up quite cheap. It had max 64 player servers in huge open environments with vehicles like tanks, planes, subs, ships etc. all scattered around.

Another interesting game in the franchise would be the upcoming battlefield heroes. Look up some trailers of that one on GT or youtube.
Here lies perhaps a whole different future of multiplayer: It's downloadable for free and can run on almost any computer.

My dream on a huge open battle scenario would be to stop using guns althogether. I want an online multiplayer game, either FPS or TPS in the roman and medieval era. I want Rome: Total War and Medieval 2 total war linked together. I want to be longbowmen #50 firing down with my unit from the castle walls on the besieging knights. I want to be a hoplite bracing myself for an incomming cavalry charge. But, this calls for maybe 500 people or more on one server to be pulled off effectively.
What I would want implemented though:

Commander option as in battlefield 2
RPG system. If you play with a class more often you can pull of different sword-techniques and you upgrade your weaponry. Kinda like CoD4.
Gradual shift in time. You start of in 300 BC, work your way through battles and when you log off it's 275BC or something. when you log back on it's 200BC for instance. When the timer hits the end of the 1600's or so, you warp back to 300BC.

I'll take at least 25 years, is my guess, before this will be made

**Edit: Awesome idea while taking a piss: Perhaps you only need 200 human soldiers...the rest can be filled with bots.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Around the Network

You guys really should look into MAG. its 250 player online battles. Im reallly wanting it :D

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

soulsamurai said:
You guys really should look into MAG. its 250 player online battles. Im reallly wanting it :D

It's too shooty ;)

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Peterisyum said:

today, me and knightstriker and 1337 gamer were playing halo wars. it was a pretty intense match in which a certain yellow captain cutter play used a whole mass unit load of odst against us. ultimately winning the other team the game. Which gots us talking about how awesome halo ODST would be if it worked a little something like this. image  a first person shooter. its 200 player online on a absolutely monstorously big map. 100 people on each team. suddenly 200 odsts are smashed into the ground and the battle begins. You see people rushing to nearby vechiles and sniper positions, to immediate cover and to bunker. when you die, you are immediately dropped again, first to 1000 kills wins. THe scarabs comein and you and 20 other guys just rush at it, climb up and take it over. all the while shotguns and battlerifles are going off everywhere. ok, so the game may have it's flaws, but thats the sort of thing that I would like to see in the next generation of consoles multiplayer. I hope we get ODST: 100 vs 100 one day in the future.

So what do you think the multiplayer experiance will be like in the future. also. How great is that game design honestly :)

Here's the mission briefing of that fight btw. Just incase you were interested.

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=12590566-0128-6359-6861-000000000000

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

soulsamurai said:

256 player battles i think

Cant wait also

Around the Network

MAG will have 256-player battles online. it's a ps3 exclusive

Initiating social expirement #928719281

more gamers doesn't automatically mean more fun. it's all about the gamedesigne. But your intention sounds not bad.

Halo Wars is so much fun online:)))))))

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

It would have to be carefully tailored, i think. Often these FPSes which push large numbers of players merely for the sake of having them just wind up being giant clusterfucks.

To grasp something of that scale would be awesome, but undertaking it would be a monumental feat. That's why i'll follow MAG out of curiosity. No PS3, but i'm interested in seeing if a game developed around that concept can really take off.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

MAG is coming out.... it has 250 ppl multiplayer.... that as close as you can get for now

MAG MAG MAG MAG MAG MAG MAG MAG