By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iPhone/iTouch sells 30 million in 19 months

Apple announced today a preview of the upcoming iPhone OS 3.0 update, a transcript of the event can be read for example here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/139401/2009/03/appleevent.html?lsrc=top_1

Some very interesting new features are coming, especially from the game developer point of view, for example easy Bluetooth connectivity between devices for wireless multiplayer. Also, developers can now sell content in-game view the AppStore mechanisms, so we could see episodic games coming to the platform soon, as well as "demo versions" of certain games.

Personally, I'm really exceited of the new possibilities the 3.0 update opens for me as a developer, but even so one of the most interesting tidbits got from the event was this:

"Sales from June 2007 from December 2008, 17 million iPhones sold, and the sales definitely accelerated with the iPhone 3G. iPhone not the only product running iPhone OS; there's the touch. Over same time period, 30 million iPhone OS devices sold through end of 2008."

I've not come across ANY iTouch sales figures before, Apple reports all iPod sales as a whole. Now, however, I finally have a figure. 17 million iPhones and 13 million iTouches. I'm slightly surprised that the iTouch is only about 43% of the total, I would have guessed it to be more than half, but it's not the first time I'm wrong about something. Anyway, an installed base of 30 million in 19 months is not too bad. Actually, I think it's an outstanding result given that it's mostly new market for Apple.

Another interesting note from the event was the total number of downloads from the AppStore in 8 months: 800 million. IMO there is no doubt that digital distribution is the way to go for handhelds, and sooner or later for all other platforms. I've been planning on doing a comparative analysis of the different publishing and distribution channels/methods, maybe now I'll find the time and energy to actually do it. For that purpose, I'd like as much information as possible about the licencing fees etc. of the different channels and HW manufacturers. I have come across a great deal of information here in VG Chartz but it's all scattered around and really hard to find again (yeah, I should have bookmarked everything) so if you know anything about the subject, I'd really appreciate any info.

Around the Network

It is not the iTouch, it is the iPod Touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it the most annoying thing ever

Munkeh111 said:
It is not the iTouch, it is the iPod Touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it the most annoying thing ever

I actually like the term iTouch because it refers to the platform (iPhone + iPod Touch). Much easier than writing out the models involved.

As a side note I think Apple is slowly becoming a darkhorse in the mobile race. They certainly have a long way to go, but they are establishing a nice install base, and online distribution is the future plain and simple.

The most interesting thing to me was hearing that Gameloft had sold 2+ million games. Considering they have only a handfull of games on the App Store that is quite amazing and certainly a solid revenue stream. A few months back Sega also made the point that that dollar for dollar this is the platform to develop on. I'm assuming a lot of that has to do with minimzing production costs due to the online distribution.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

When will it outsell the Wii?

30 million? Impressive.

Around the Network

thats amazing but most of these people are not going to buy more than 1 or 2 games that you need to pay for. This isnt a fact but everyone i know that has one has only bought a few if any games. The free games are the ones that most people seem to get and thats why 30M units will not translate into huge $.

But i could be wrong has anyone noticed anything different? I dont hate /love the iphone im just posting what ive noticed

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

averyblund said:
Munkeh111 said:

I actually like the term iTouch because it refers to the platform (iPhone + iPod Touch). Much easier than writing out the models involved.

No, the iTouch is used to refer to the iPod touch which is wrong

DS has sold 30m+ in each of the last two years for comparison (30.5m and ~31.5m)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

there sure are alot of I-fanboys in the world :p

1337 Gamer said:
thats amazing but most of these people are not going to buy more than 1 or 2 games that you need to pay for. This isnt a fact but everyone i know that has one has only bought a few if any games. The free games are the ones that most people seem to get and thats why 30M units will not translate into huge $.

But i could be wrong has anyone noticed anything different? I dont hate /love the iphone im just posting what ive noticed

I think you are right, but that is not as important as price. A system doesn't need a high attach-rate to be a success if it has unit volume BUT, right now the platform seems to be stuck with a stigma against paying more than $10 for a game. This puts devs on a tight budget and means that very few "epic" games have been released.

The good thing is that this perception can change. However if Apple wants to make that change they will need to do a few things. Right now the way the App Store  is set up is by popularity. With 25,000 applications/programs most people just check the top 100 so they know they are gettign a quality product. Sadly it seems the vast majority of the things bought are in the $1-$2 range. So many higher end products end up lost in the shuffle and nearly impossible to find unless you have already heard of them. Developers are finding work arounds, one of which is to do a lot of external advertising with a link that points to their app. This is great but Apple needs to do something also.

One proposal that has been rumored for a few months is a "premium" section, where only $20+ apps are allowed, complete with its own top 100, ect. To me this is a winner and will provide confidence to developers that it is OK to make longer, more expensive games without the worry of them falling into obscurity.

Lastly Apple seems to have been advertising the Touch as game oriented which should help keep gaming in a spotlight.

On thing is for certain looking at the top 100 payed and free. 80%+ are games, so keep your eyes on this one.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256