By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gameinformer:Killzone 2 impression

Hus said:
All that new experimental stuff sure as hell don't make a game great. Gimmi some of that good old stuff that works not new stuff that does not. First it was oh it can't be done money wont equal the trailer, sony came through silenced the while industry so i guess the new thing to whine about "it lacks innovation" tell me wheres the innovation in Mario Galaxy or Halo3 ?

killzone2 is NOT about reinventing the fps, its about making the best shooter on the PS3. Try to remember this.

Mario Galaxy - Built around platforming puzzles based on spherical planets where gravity matters, and you have to solve puzzles or use gravity to help you...along with shooting stars using the wiimote pointer, various new costumes that give Mario different abilities never seen before, etc.

Halo 3 - the Forge is pretty cool...allows you to edit maps in real-time by placing weapons, vehicles, spawn points, etc. anywhere you want while other people can play.  Each side gets a certain allowance of editing capabilities, though it's shared, so it's best to spawn stuff quickly before the other team "edits" them away.  You can spawn a box, jump on top, and then grab the box and fly around the map, sniping people from a "flying carpet box."

Both seem innovative enough to me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Hus said:
All that new experimental stuff sure as hell don't make a game great. Gimmi some of that good old stuff that works not new stuff that does not. First it was oh it can't be done money wont equal the trailer, sony came through silenced the while industry so i guess the new thing to whine about "it lacks innovation" tell me wheres the innovation in Mario Galaxy or Halo3 ?

killzone2 is NOT about reinventing the fps, its about making the best shooter on the PS3. Try to remember this.

You're absolutely right that experimental stuff doesn't always make a great game. You're also right that Killzone 2 is shooting (no pun intended) for becoming the best FPS on the PS3.  However, because of the hype that is surrounding this game, it is unlikely that "some of that good old stuff that works" will be enough. It maybe fine for you, but it won't be for a lot of people, especially when trying to justify a hugely expensive console to boot. Because of all the hype around it, for a game to be the same old thing + eye candy would be a huge disappointment.

Submit to the deliciousness of the MAD COW BEEF!

BenKenobi88 said:
Hus said:

Mario Galaxy - Built around platforming puzzles based on spherical planets where gravity matters, and you have to solve puzzles or use gravity to help you...along with shooting stars using the wiimote pointer, various new costumes that give Mario different abilities never seen before, etc.

Halo 3 - the Forge is pretty cool...allows you to edit maps in real-time by placing weapons, vehicles, spawn points, etc. anywhere you want while other people can play. Each side gets a certain allowance of editing capabilities, though it's shared, so it's best to spawn stuff quickly before the other team "edits" them away. You can spawn a box, jump on top, and then grab the box and fly around the map, sniping people from a "flying carpet box."

Both seem innovative enough to me.

Man thats gonna be so hard, BUT SO AWESOME!!!!! HALO 3 FTW.

I never really played the first two, so im gonna hit wiki and read up on the storyline.

Even though ive not played the first two, i can tell three is gonna be HUGE 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

It's hard to innovate the FPS genre, so most dev's go for displaying the good 'ol gameplay elements in a flashy manner. I own Killzone on PS2, and it was a decent game. I do believe this will be a good game, especially on a huge LCD with 1080P and surround sound cranked up to shake your eardrums!!

Hold up Mummelmann, wasn't it confirmed awhile back that Killzone 2 will be running at 720P @ 30FPS? If that's the case, would 1080P happen?

Oh and Hus, no one has even mentioned the Wii in this thread, keep your irrelevant bashing to yourself, people are actually talking about the game here.

Around the Network
stof said:
bugmenot said:
Obviously being an innovative success on a gameplay level isn't required to be certain a game is AAA anymore.

All our worries are over, because innovation (which is a precious and limited resource) is no longer needed to make great games, thanks to the advent of detail and grit.

Never again will our gameplaying be bounded by the hungry demands of our imaginations: Physics will take care of that. Soon all games will achieve this technical zenith, and there will be no need for anything new ever again. We will all have reached a state of computational Nirvana, where the demon that is creativity has finally been slain.

Sorry dude, but this is one of the worst posts I've read this week. Why does everyone suddenly have to break everything into a graphics/gameplay dichotomy, assuming that if a game has one it forfeits the other?

And why must so many people now assume that every single game has to completely change the way we play. Everything I hear about Killzone 2 makes it sound like it's a great game to play. It doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be a great game. Plenty of awesome games just tighten the spokes a bit. And Killzone 2 seems to have some mighty tight spokes!

Also, instead of Halo, I'm comparing it to Gears.

"It's hard to declare killzone 2 an innovative success on a gameplay level, even though all the elements of a solid FPS are firmly in place. ...... PS3 owners have atleast one new AAA title to call their own next year."

that is what he was talking about. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Is this game going to be running at 60 FPS?

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/815/815430p3.html

"Killzone 2 will run at a steady 30 fps in 720p."

It looks like it will be a great game. Yet i wonder if it will hit the 'AAA' rating.

The game does indeed look fantastic by it's artistic approach. Yet this game depends on the artistic aproach by having a dark atmosphere and almost have to shoot to have light. Yet for the rest it's just a 'light in the dark' theme.
I just wonder what they will do to not make the game look repetetive all time and what the game will look like if the 'dark' fades away.

Like in halo you have vast colorfull enviroments and then you move on to some darker caves etc. (many games do that) In mario you always have a 'halloween' level, etc. That keeps the game kinda interesting and suggestive for puzzle solving, yet i just hope this game will offer more art then just this 'day in night' effect. Because once in the light it could look like any other basic game out there.

But they did nice, i never tought they could come up with such graphics if you keep the limited amount of memory in mind. Well you can see it a bit of level entry they don't show the entire map and there are no enemies running around but it's very impressive.

I refuse to believe anything about KZ2 until it's actually released. Seriously the first Killzone was constantly hyped as a halo killer and that it would be fantastically amazingly awesome. And it wasn't. It was graphically good but that was all. Am I the only one who remembers all the hype around the original Killzone? This is one game I am firmly going to wait for reviews for.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.