By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Take Two vs. Jack Thompson

An e-mail exchange between the anti-game activist, you know who, and Gena Feist, T2’s VP and Associate General Counsel.

Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 4:55 PM

Subject: Letter to Take-Two’s Strauss Zelnick, Ben Feder Re Manhunt 2

Dear Mr. Zelnick and Mr. Feder:

Congratulations on receiving a “Mature” rating for Manhunt 2. You’ll live to regret it (trust me), so enjoy it while you can.

I want to bring to your attention the fact that at www.rockstargames.com anyone of any age can order Manhunt 2 and receive it, with no age verification whatsoever. Asking a 14-year-old if he’s 17 is not age verification, now is it?

You also know that the use of a bank card as an age verifier is a violation of all bank card agreements, right?

Govern yourselves accordingly, if you can.

Regards, Jack Thompson

To: Jack Thompson

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:47 PM

Subject: FW: Letter to Take-Two’s Strauss Zelnick, Ben Feder Re Manhunt 2

Mr. Thompson,Your statements regarding our practices are false, as you know or should have known.

The Take Two website verifies age in two ways. First, consumers who purchase M or RP rated games certify that they are at least 17 years of age. Numerous websites use the same method for verifying age in connection with sales of movies and games. Second, we verify age through the use of a credit card number in connection with a transaction. Such transaction based verification is acceptable to both credit card companies and the FTC (see, e.g. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.shtm).

We demand that you cease making these false statements about our online sales practices. Your dissemination of knowingly false statements for the purpose of adversely affecting Take-Two’s business is actionable and we reserve all of our rights under the settlement agreement and state and federal law.

Not only are your statements clearly false, but they were made in an email publicly disseminated to both the FTC and the press. Please be assured that I am happy to answer any questions you have concerning our practices in a private communications. It is for this very reason that our settlement agreement designates a legal contact for you at Take Two.

If you continue to make false statements to an audience of press and public officials, however, we will have no choice but to take action against you.

Sincerely,
Gena

To: Gena Feist (T2 NY)

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:39 PM

Subject: Re: Letter to Take-Two’s Strauss Zelnick, Ben Feder Re Manhunt 2

As you should be aware, credit cards cannot be used to verify the age of buyers. Kids have credit cards, and they use parents’ credit cards. You have then got to be kidding me.

Take-Two is welcome to use age verification software that is available for on-line alcohol, firearm and other purchases of adult material. Stop lying.

Thanks

Jack Thompson, Attorney

To: “Jack Thompson”

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:30 PM

Subject: RE: Letter to Take-Two’s Strauss Zelnick, Ben Feder Re Manhunt 2

Jack, give it a break. I am happy to answer your questions and correct any misapprehensions that you have but I will not engage in this type of discussion with you. I am not a liar, I didn’t threaten you, and I wont get roped into this type of dialogue. Don’t bother writing back because I will not answer any further communications along these lines.

To: Gena Feist

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:28 PM

Surely you are not taking the position that I am not allowed to communicate with the government about Take-Two’s actions, are you? If you are, then please know that that position renders the agreement unenforceable as a matter of public policy, since the law is settled that no agreement that restricts a citizen’s petition rights to the government is enforceable.

Are you seriously suggesting that an agreement that does not restrict me in that fashion does restrict me? Becasue [sic] if you are, then I have a new civil rights claim agains [sic] Take-Two.

Jack Thompson

To: “Jack Thompson”

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:20 PM

Jack,

I appreciate that you directed this message to me alone. In regards to your comments below, I understand that you disagree with the use of a credit card transaction as age verification but it is accepted by the FTC and the retail industry as verification of age.

You are on notice that we use two industry and government accepted forms of age verification. Please do not repeat your false claims publicly or make claims that I/the company are lying about this matter.

We entered into the settlement agreement because we did not want to engage in unnecessary litigation with you, but I assure you that we will enforce the terms of the agreement if necessary and that any suit will include a claim for our legal fees under paragraph 11.

Sincerely,
Gena

To: “Gena Feist (T2 NY)”

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:17 PM

What is wrong with you? You threaten me with enforcement of the agreement, and I ask you how I have violated it. Are you nuts?

Jack Thompson, Attorney
source: http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/31/take-two-warns-jack-thompson-over-manhunt-2/ 

Around the Network

Can we just shoot him?

I could probably blow him up with an IED and blame it on news coverage of the war altering my mind frame for what is cause and just.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The guys heart is probably in the right place, but he has gone wayyyyyyyyyy overboard.
I honestly believe the guy is insane.

lol, I love that he goes on the offensive and then when the advantage is against him, he's all like "but I didn't do anything!!!...... bastards!!!"

Jack's entertaining, thats for sure. In an annoying Jar Jar Binks sorta way.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

300 mln americans, 1 moron. that's not that bad a ratio, if you ask me.

the Wii is an epidemic.

This is off topic: 2K8 demo graphics were so bad that It looked worst than madden 08 on the ps2.

mM

Oh look, left field.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I am so sick and tired of this guy. His stupidity used to be entertaining but it is really starting to get old. Because of him and people like him video game industry gets a bad name and on top of that, when intelligent people try to protect minors from adult games in a reasonable way they get thrown into the same category as Jack Thompson.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

Lingyis said:
300 mln americans, 1 moron. that's not that bad a ratio, if you ask me.

Bush, Bill O Reilly, Michael Moore, The Gay Senator guy, everyone from Utah besides Maddox, everyone from Mississippi, and half the people in Texas.

It's actually not a nice proportion (or ratio).