By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS is playing dirty, I commend them (360 sku rumors).

The-Prophet said:

Im going to deconstruct these rumors and bring out what they actually mean.

1. The Elite is cancelled out as standard and is strictly made to be limited edition bundles.

- The price gap now between the highest 360 and lowest PS3 is $0. With the standard Elite gone, the gap will officially be $100. That is huge.

- Like the NA and Euro **Exclusive** RE bundle, I have a hunch that MS will use the Elite for AAA multiplats in the future. This is to sway the people on the fence that will buy a console just to play this AAA game.

Whats more enticing, a $399 custom 360 with RE5 ($60 value) + SFTHD Remix ($15 value) or a $399 PS3 with RE5 sold seprately? These future Elite bundles are used to bring in the new adopters instead of going to the PS3. All this depends on is how much $$$ MS is prepared to fork over to keep this trend up.

2. Arcade getting upgraded internal memory or a 20 gig harddrive.

- This will increase the value of the console and actually make it an easier buy for both casuals and even hardcore gamers, especially if the 20 gig rumor proves true.

3. Pro will get a HDMI cable, new games bundled, an 80 gig harddrive, $20 price cut.

- This I feel is the most effective way to battle PS3 price wise. Allready $100 cheaper, the HDMI cable, bundled games (most likely more new) will provide more value since the $399 PS3 has neither. And the hard drive being 80 is meant to say to customers: we have the same amount as them at $100-$120 less. Its very psychological.

Conclusion:

- The Elite being only limited not only makes the price gap between the standard 360 and PS3 $100, and it will more likely convert the fence sitters onto 360's side with the limited edition bundles.

- The Arcade will have enough value to match its price point, making it a much easier buy.

- The Pro will be so competitive that the $399 PS3 will be hard pressed to compare. The PS3 has bluray and wifi, but the pro will have $100 worth of bundled games, HDMI cable, Headset, component cables, and $100-$120 less sku-wise. From a gaming perspective, the Pro can hold its own with value as it will have many thigns the PS3 wont have.

Offcourse this will get more intense if PS3 gets a price cut, but well cross that bridge when it comes. Thoughts?

So let me get this strait

Arcade with 516mb internal or maybe a 20g HDD for 180-200$

Pro with 515mb internal and HDMI cable some and maybe a 80g-100g HDD for 280-300$

wen should we expect to See this?  is this all MS will do this year?

if we see this b4 june then yes it well do damage to sony

if it happens in the fall and thats all MS does price wise then there in trouble nobody cares about the ingredients wen they buy stuff just look how fat everyone is these days and all these health problems people have. A 20$ price cut and some little add ons won't affect sales to much it is highly likely the ps3 will go to 300$ this year.

That would make the most expensive 360 the pro be only 20$ cheaper than the cheapest ps3 and the cheapest 360 the arcade be 120$ cheaper than the cheapest ps3 last time this happen was at the end of 07 400$ ps3 against 350$ pro and 280 arcade and we all know wat happened then the ps3 was out selling the 360 WW every week till that next price cut 360 got back in the fall of 08

So i aint Scared

if the MS does this soon and follows with more price cutting in the fall then ill be scared

looks like MS is taking a page out of sonys book with the Limited Edition big HDD bundles sony did it 1st with the 80g motorstorm than the 160g uncharted

Play Me

Around the Network

^word.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Magnific0 said:
^I'm gonna stay at last place? I'm not SCEA or anything, I'm just a consumer lol. Or do YOU work for MS?

MS didn't destroy shit as they couldn't outsell the PS3 2:1 not even in their turf, USA. That's a pretty pathetic victory having HALF the price and a BIG franchise sequel like Gow2 for the holidays. It didn't last long anyway.

Whatever. I find it laughable Microsoft's gaming division is so DESPERATE that even with their current lead and price-tag, they are shaking, I've never seen that before in my life!! A console priced half the competition, winning in sales, and less than 6 month after a global price-cut peeing in their pants already??? The truth is, they'd better stay put when the PS3 cut happens, 'cause if they do something rash as to get themselves into the red again (by doing premature cuts, as little as they'd seem, and incrementing hardware costs adding stuff for new SKUs) that will bury them for sure!

Dude. Do you realize not only the 360 outsells the ps3 but also that Microsoft gaming division posts profits while Sony's gaming division posts losses?

yes, true. And they will continue to do so as long as they stay away from doing anything like the OP fanboy wishes.

If the Elite were selling more, it wound not be getting the axe. Not sure of how much impact this will have, but we'll see...

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Bitmap Frogs said:
Magnific0 said:
^I'm gonna stay at last place? I'm not SCEA or anything, I'm just a consumer lol. Or do YOU work for MS?

MS didn't destroy shit as they couldn't outsell the PS3 2:1 not even in their turf, USA. That's a pretty pathetic victory having HALF the price and a BIG franchise sequel like Gow2 for the holidays. It didn't last long anyway.

Whatever. I find it laughable Microsoft's gaming division is so DESPERATE that even with their current lead and price-tag, they are shaking, I've never seen that before in my life!! A console priced half the competition, winning in sales, and less than 6 month after a global price-cut peeing in their pants already??? The truth is, they'd better stay put when the PS3 cut happens, 'cause if they do something rash as to get themselves into the red again (by doing premature cuts, as little as they'd seem, and incrementing hardware costs adding stuff for new SKUs) that will bury them for sure!

Dude. Do you realize not only the 360 outsells the ps3 but also that Microsoft gaming division posts profits while Sony's gaming division posts losses?

This is SUCH a false comparison.  Microsoft HAS no gaming division, they have a DEVICE division that rolls all kinds of things into their numbers.  They have Office and Windows retail sales in there, they have mice and keyboards in there, theres windows mobile in there...all kinds of things of which the 360 is only one.  They don't break out the 360 numbers alone anymore while Sony does put the PS3 alone (though they may be stopping that after restructuring).

There is no proof the gaming devision makes money without adding in mouse sales, keyboard sales, retail office sales ect ect ect.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

If only the 360 had wifi built in like the ps3 without a hiked price. If they had that I honestly think the ps3 would be out of business. :/

this will be great nwes, cheaper pro with more values and bigger harddrive
arcade will get HD fro free

also about wifi for xbox, just get wifi bridge, it is a lot cheaper nowadays

Impulsivity said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Magnific0 said:

This is SUCH a false comparison.  Microsoft HAS no gaming division, they have a DEVICE division that rolls all kinds of things into their numbers.  They have Office and Windows retail sales in there, they have mice and keyboards in there, theres windows mobile in there...all kinds of things of which the 360 is only one.  They don't break out the 360 numbers alone anymore while Sony does put the PS3 alone (though they may be stopping that after restructuring).

There is no proof the gaming devision makes money without adding in mouse sales, keyboard sales, retail office sales ect ect ect.

They have the sinking ship that is the Zune, the budgets for Surface, Sphere and whatnot crackpot projects, the division also hosts the blackhole that is windows mobile...

I find funny people like you with an agenda to grind use the "devices division argument" in opposite directions, depending on what's going on... big losses for the division? the 360 is sinking it. Big profits for the division? it's the other products bringing the bacon home!

You know they can't lie in their financials? Well they often comment how the 360 is the main driver of the division. Financials aren't PR, they go to jail if they lie there.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Impulsivity said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Magnific0 said:

They have the sinking ship that is the Zune, the budgets for Surface, Sphere and whatnot crackpot projects, the division also hosts the blackhole that is windows mobile...

I find funny people like you with an agenda to grind use the "devices division argument" in opposite directions, depending on what's going on... big losses for the division? the 360 is sinking it. Big profits for the division? it's the other products bringing the bacon home!

You know they can't lie in their financials? Well they often comment how the 360 is the main driver of the division. Financials aren't PR, they go to jail if they lie there.

We do not know anything about the Xbox360 financials because MS won't release the data. Given the profits made on Office and Windows retail software, I can assure you the numbers wouldn't be crash hot.

They are not lying on their financials, they are just not releasing all the information. You'd think, if the Xbox div was truly the profit cash cow you all make it to be, it would be shouted from the rooftops by all and sundry. As it stands, they haven't because it isn't...

Grooski said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

We do not know anything about the Xbox360 financials because MS won't release the data. Given the profits made on Office and Windows retail software, I can assure you the numbers wouldn't be crash hot.

They are not lying on their financials, they are just not releasing all the information. You'd think, if the Xbox div was truly the profit cash cow you all make it to be, it would be shouted from the rooftops by all and sundry. As it stands, they haven't because it isn't...

You should read their financials more carefully. The E&D division handles the sales, but the money gets accounted under the office and windows divisions. They did that to simplify overhead and streamline their relationship with retailers.

And yeah, with each quarter information they comment on each division and in relation to the E&D division the 360 gets mentioned, often, as a driver. That's shouting it from the rooftops, enterprise style. 

Believe what you will, but it isn't Microsoft the corporation undergoing a massive internal reorganization effort in order to become profitable again. Hint: starts with an S, ends with an Y.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).