By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN GIVES LAIR A 4.9

kber81 said:
FishyJoe said:
Retailers aren't going to hype Warhawk as much as some other games, since it won't receive nearly as many in-store sales.

Warhawk will sell descently on it's own. Seriously I'm really pleased with this game. I was sceptical about graphics, controls etc. but everything is solid. Shame I can't use it on my main profile.

Edit:

I love Warhawk design... it remainds me about Kyushu J7W Shinden

First cool plane...

Second isn't warhawk significant cheaper as a download? Wouldn't many PS3 owners rather buy it online? 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network
robjoh said:

Second isn't warhawk significant cheaper as a download? Wouldn't many PS3 owners rather buy it online?

Yes it is. Especially outside US. In US retailer version costs $20 more but in Poland retailer version costs 219 ($80) so it's twice as much as download. Most people want retailer version though:

http://poll.pollcode.com/F6S5_result

@kber81

ok thanks for the info...

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

kber81 said:
FishyJoe said:
Retailers aren't going to hype Warhawk as much as some other games, since it won't receive nearly as many in-store sales.

Warhawk will sell descently on it's own. Seriously I'm really pleased with this game. I was sceptical about graphics, controls etc. but everything is solid. Shame I can't use it on my main profile.

Edit:

I love Warhawk design... it remainds me about Kyushu J7W Shinden

I think warhawk will do well for the simple fact that the graphics are solid and it provides what seems a great multiplayer experience.  The problem is that it is online only and won't appeal to the "masses" and probably won't really be a big system mover like Lair had the potential to be.  If they had put a a solo campaign in the game (and it was good) I suspect it would have been a very solid seller and system mover.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I don't think Warhawk and HS will do horrible, but sales wise I think they will have the same impact as Resistance and Motorstorm.

Around the Network
Caey said:
On topic: I don't think Lair deserves a 4.9. The sound should've scored in the 9 to 10 range, cause I hear it's fantastic. And the presentation should've been marked a bit higher, me thinks. I think it deserves nothing less than a 6. It certainly can't be that bad of a game. At least, I would hope not ...
Come on, have you even read what you just wrote?! Besides nothing keeps you from buying the game.

Nothing except the fact that I don't own a PS3

Forgive me for thinking differently than IGN, sheesh.

Well considering that the game is a Hardcore game dedicated to that segment of the market. And considering sometimes the Hardcore segment listen to reviews. That game isn't going to sell well either. But I like Lair though but when IGN reviewed it I was like WTF!!!

Zim said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Wow ,IGN sure hates the PS3 .

Oh really? Let us take a look.

Ign Ps3 reviews. 0.6% above average

Ign wii reviews. 0.5% above average

Ign 360 reviews. 0.3% above average

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/sitedetails.asp?siteid=1188

Conclusion: What you actually mean is ''Im a PS3 fanboy and they are rating the games I hope will sell the system lowly.''

The only claim you can possibly make about ign being biased towards the ps3. Is that they prefer it to the wii and 360.

I have given enough examples in my prior post .Read and learn ,dont play with statistics everyone can do that thats the magic thing about numbers  .I dont care if they have given Blast Factor ,Lemmings and Calling All Cars a whole point higher and that makes the statistic look like that .The fact is that games that are indentical in the PS3 and the 360 as GRAW2 after their own words somehow receive nearly a whole point higher on the 360 .And in the big games they tend to bash the PS3 more than suitable .

I am not saying Lair is a superb game and IGN are full of shit .Probably it has some issues with its control .Thing is that those issues cant be so bad ,reveiwers from other mags are liking the controls so it can be down to the personal preferences of some individual guy doing the review .In any case and accepting that he is right and the controls are painful this still doesnt put this game with superb production values in the same league as SuperSprint ,Super Rub a Dub and Joust as the score imply .This game may not be perfect or even great but it deserves at least a 6 or 7 .

I will play the demo if it is released and if I like it I will buy it .

Diomedes1976 said:

I have given enough examples in my prior post .Read and learn ,dont play with statistics everyone can do that thats the magic thing about numbers .I dont care if they have given Blast Factor ,Lemmings and Calling All Cars a whole point higher and that makes the statistic look like that .The fact is that games that are indentical in the PS3 and the 360 as GRAW2 after their own words somehow receive nearly a whole point higher on the 360 .And in the big games they tend to bash the PS3 more than suitable .

I will play the demo if it is released and if I like it I will buy it .

Goodness, Diomedes -- do you take your blinders off much?  You couldn't possibly be any more clueless as to how statistics work.  "Statistically" individual examples are anecdotal at best and are generally worthless.  Quoting/using single reviews, such as this one, is the only way "magic things" happen with numbers.  Fanboys can say the game is awful because of this review.  Other Fanboys can say No, It's great based on another review.  The whole raison d'etre of statistical measure is to prove/disprove observed single events as random or within the realm of expectated results.  The gamerankings deviation from the norm is a large sample and has less error.  I don't know the sample size but I suspect it is big enough at this point to be very statistically significant.  It's like saying IGN flipped a quarter and got heads and Gamespot did the same and got tails.  One event each and at polar opposites.  You certainly wouldn't assume by either event that ALL Gamespot flips are heads or ALL IGN flips are tails.  You would be foolish to believe so use either as a measure.  Instead, you take a whole bunch of single events and look at the trend over time.  Amazing enough, if you have both sites flip that coin 1000 times, they are going to both come pretty darn close to 500/500 heads/tails.

Therein lies the reason WHY gamerankings deviation measures are so valuable in the first place.  It is a TRUE and ACCURATE measure of how individual sites rate their games in relation to the "norm" or "average".  Yep, it's possible they make mistakes on a single review basis but again, over time, IGN looks pretty good as a yardstick based on their history vs. the averages.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Lets see Diomedes1976 the examples you give
Madden 08. The fact other sites gave them the same score is a failing on their part not Igns. The framerate is massively different. Between 60fps and an unstable 30fps. Slowdown in a madden game is definetly deserving of a dropped score. Especially when it runs silky smooth on another system

The darkness - Framerate issues aren't imagined. Again framerate is very important.

Graw2 - Game released 5months later on the ps3. Again with some framerate issues. Their review also makes mention of bare bones online. So 5 months later for an inferior version? I would say that is reason enough to mark it down. Even if we go with you who says they are identical, 5months later for an identical version? Does that seem right?

Tiger woods - Gamespot think it controls better. That doesn't mean Ign have to think it controls better. Their reviewer may have felt the controls didn't make a bit of difference. In fact gamerankings has Tiger woods for the 360 at 82% and the ps3 version at 81%. So perhaps ign should actually have had the ps3 at a lower score? 8.4 maybe? Perhaps the online experience is different or something. I don't know, I don't play golf games.

Heavenly sword - So you are comparing 6-7 hours for a single player only game, to 6-7 hours for a game that has an extremely comprehensive online mode? Oh boy that's a good comparison. If HS had a fantastic online mode I would be willing to bet they would forgive the short story. Or hey maybe if it even had co-op for sinlge player.

You think lair is at least a 7? Well PSM, Gamebrink, Ign, Egm would disagree. So would the average score on gamerankings. You can point to play magazines 90% but red steel also got a review of 90%. Let's wait and see how Lair ends up.

Again I say what you actually mean is ''Im a ps3 fanboy and they didn't rate the games I want to sell well as highly as I would like.''

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.