By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Installed Linux on my laptop - impressions

Jo21 said:
the moment we get steam on linux i am dupping windows.
but getting steam would mean wine would have be able to run all the windows games with no hacks.

Cedega service on Linux allows you to use steam.  It costs a bit for a subscription, but less than many Windows users spend on an antivirus.

Around the Network

If only Photoshop and some more games would work... then I would delete my XP partition.

Jaaau! said:
If only Photoshop and some more games would work... then I would delete my XP partition.

I hear you there.  The way I have my home systems set up is I have Linux on my performance PC and movie playing PC.  I also have Windows on my performance PC to play games on even though it has Linux and Cedega.  I just boot Windows for playing games and use linux for everything else.

Maybe you should get a Mac for Photoshop and install Linux over your Windows partition then.

dgrzalja said:

I just installed Windows XP on Ubuntu using Vmware, just to check out how would my web sites work...

I installed MSIE 4,5,6,7 on it, using a software that installed all of those versions on one Windows
and it's working the same as it is in my real Windows machine....

So, i guess this could be used for testing, i checked some forums and there
people are saying that this is ideal for web developers or programmers to test stuff..

Please correct me if i'm wrong (i am a linux newbie)...

Mulitple IEs does not perfectly replicate the environment.  It's good 95% of the time but every so often a bizarre bug will appear in a native IE6 (run through VM) that you won't see in MIE.  Developing using MIE is fine but do the final test against a native one.

Senlis said:
Jo21 said:
the moment we get steam on linux i am dupping windows.
but getting steam would mean wine would have be able to run all the windows games with no hacks.

Cedega service on Linux allows you to use steam.  It costs a bit for a subscription, but less than many Windows users spend on an antivirus.

Wine works with Steam. And Photoshop up to CS3 works mostly.

Around the Network

anyone here knw hw i cn install an os onto my ps3? :s

I would be using Ubuntu right now except that someone told me my graphics card (an X1300) doesn't work well with it.

Khuutra said:
I would be using Ubuntu right now except that someone told me my graphics card (an X1300) doesn't work well with it.

That is a barrier many people face with Linux is hardware compatability.  I was lucky enough to have my hardware be compatible with Ubuntu.

Khuutra said:

Someone once told me I could revive Aeris in FF7.  I checked into it before believing it.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Khuutra said:

Someone once told me I could revive Aeris in FF7.  I checked into it before believing it.

In my defense the proprietary drivers were quite buggy.