By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Installed Linux on my laptop - impressions

Oh, I'm quite aware of what systems XP came on when it was released. Despite that, XP didn't really run well unless you had a gig of ram and maybe a 2+ghz processor.

Microsoft always does this, you should see some of the systems trying to run Vista nowadays, it's plain silly. Linux on the other hand runs a lot better on lesser hardware.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Around the Network

That's my point! I mean how can u release an OS and say it runs on such low sys
req, it doesn't!!!

And Microsoft is totaly retarded, i mean they have so much resources to make a great
system, and what do we get? OS Upgrades with minor GUI tweaks!

Linux is developed by a lot of people in the online community and they don't have as
near as resources as Microsoft has, and yet they are not telling you that linux runs on any
PC for nothing...

Well, I suspect Microsoft lowballs the requirements so as to maximize their sales potential against people with older machines.

Personally I find it pretty stupid that each of their OS's is more of a resource beast than the last, but I guess it seems to be working for them thus far.

Trust me, if Linux could support all of the games that Windows could (Cedega and Wine don't cut it imo) I'd be the first to uninstall Windows and never look back.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

I agree with you!

But with cloud computing on the rise i wouldn't be suprised if
Google overthroned them all and take the market!

I used Ubuntu for a couple of months on my desktop last year, now I'm back to it.
Since I'm not gaming on the PC, it works out perfectly.

Or actually, almost perfectly, the "almost" in my case were some horrible overscan issues when connected through DVI->HDMI to my TV. Couldn't get it to work with that and went back to Windows, but now I've set up the Java media server to my PS3 and happily back to Ubuntu again.

Around the Network

Well, I have dual boot. Debian/windows xp, every time xp gets sluggish I just run image over it and it will be like fresh install with all drivers & stuff installed. :P

For me windows is only for gaming and linux is for everything else.

(
Its quite easy to make image and restore it in linux,

Backupping:
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=xpbackup.img

Restoring:
dd if=xpbackup.img of=/dev/hda1
)

Great. Good luck with it.

Do you like Compiz? That's the best part.

I find ubuntu to be a bit slow on 512 of ram. Not the system itself, but the firefox code for linux is not as good as the windows version.

SuperDave said:
Well, I suspect Microsoft lowballs the requirements so as to maximize their sales potential against people with older machines.

Personally I find it pretty stupid that each of their OS's is more of a resource beast than the last, but I guess it seems to be working for them thus far.

Trust me, if Linux could support all of the games that Windows could (Cedega and Wine don't cut it imo) I'd be the first to uninstall Windows and never look back.

The reason is netbooks and ulv chipped laptops.

Deneidez said:
Well, I have dual boot. Debian/windows xp, every time xp gets sluggish I just run image over it and it will be like fresh install with all drivers & stuff installed. :P

For me windows is only for gaming and linux is for everything else.

(
Its quite easy to make image and restore it in linux,

Backupping:
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=xpbackup.img

Restoring:
dd if=xpbackup.img of=/dev/hda1
)

Ah, a Debian man. I knew there was a reason I liked you :P