By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NCSoft: "Pc gamers will transition to the ps3"

Dolla Dolla said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:
What does the PS3 that a PC can't do?

Freakin' cure cancer!

Because Folding@home started on the PS3, amirite?

no, but the fewer ps3s that fold vastly outpower the greater number of pcs that do. just compare the folding stats. @joora and skaa and lingling and anyone i missed,*EDIT*, i'm using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my ps3 right now. i look forward to stomping the shit out of pc gamers on UT! on topic, this is stupid. pc gamers are gonna keep on being pc gamers.

Around the Network
vizunary said:
Dolla Dolla said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:

Freakin' cure cancer!

no, but the fewer ps3s that fold vastly outpower the greater number of pcs that do. just compare the folding stats. @joora and skaa and lingling and anyone i missed, you fudging idjots, i'm using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my ps3 right now. i look forward to stomping the shit out of pc gamers on UT! on topic, this is stupid. pc gamers are gonna keep on being pc gamers.

Hey no need to insult people!

tell me if i'm wrong, but there are not many games on the ps3 that you can use your mouse , are there?

vizunary said:
Dolla Dolla said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:

Freakin' cure cancer!

no, but the fewer ps3s that fold vastly outpower the greater number of pcs that do. just compare the folding stats. @joora and skaa and lingling and anyone i missed, you fudging idjots, i'm using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my ps3 right now. i look forward to stomping the shit out of pc gamers on UT! on topic, this is stupid. pc gamers are gonna keep on being pc gamers.

The 'Typical' PC on Folding@home network is probably a 4 or 5 year old lab computer at an underfunded University or College that was easily outperformed in games by both the XBox and Gamecube (and likely the PS2); not exactly a great victory for the PS3. In UT you will get destroyed by PC gamers because of lag ... All else being equal, PC gamers will have a far better Ping because they will likely be on a wired network (as compared to WiFi) and many will have far better hardware which prevents them from running into chunking.

If you doubt the hardware: http://www.hothardware.com/articles/NVIDIA_GeForce_8800_Ultra/?page=5

Bleeding edge hardware currently allows people to play games like FEAR at a higher resolution,higher quality texture effects, with better AA and AF, at 2 to 4 times the framerate of the PS3

LingLing said:
vizunary said:
Dolla Dolla said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:

Freakin' cure cancer!

Hey no need to insult people!

tell me if i'm wrong, but there are not many games on the ps3 that you can use your mouse , are there?

sorry, having a bad month... there really haven't been any games yet that would benefit from it, but it's definitely gonna be in UT. @happysquirel, i meant total processing in relation to folding. plus anyone playing online through a wifi connection isn't serious about it. i'm pretty sure i'll hold my own.

I think we have some PC gaming extremists on this site. You do not need to spend massive sums to game on the PC. No more money in fact then you need to game on a console. You can also stay on par with graphics rather easily. New graphics cards drop in price rather dramatically, and even a old motherboard can last a consumer for well over five years before you need to start looking to upgrade.

Yes there are some people that feel the need to push their hardware, but it is hardly required. The same goes for software you can get by with old drivers for years. Hell sometimes older drivers are better drivers. That is one of those fallacies about installing the newest driver. That is what technical support always says but if you look into things a older driver might be better for what you are playing.

That being said I find the logic that NCsoft spouted to be absurd. You can play their games on the PC and for considerably less then if you bought a PS3. A controller is no substitute for a Keyboard and a Mouse. I doubt I would play a MMORPG that supports a controller. Deep down I know that the controls and the mechanics are going to be dumbed down. Which is the opposite of what a MMORPG player wants in the first place. I want the developer to focus on making the game work on a keyboard.

Further more the PC provides better functionality. I can hold on a conversation through team speak with multiple friends playing multiple games. I can tab out of the game to surf the internet with the touch of a button. I can even run two instances of the same game. From my experience MMORPG players love to power game and run multiple accounts off of the same machine.

There is just no justification to believe that this would happen. Not only can PC gaming be cheaper for the player, but it provides more features. You find better control, and you do not have to play on a television. Which lets be honest is most homes is family use. People will tolerate a hour of play on a television a lot easier then someone playing a six hour session of a MMORPG.

Around the Network

Double Post.