By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Branching Quick Time Events in Zelda Wii

Some of you should try Shenmue IIx,now those truly are QUICK TIME events.
ESP the rooftop fight do not miss that one or else your screwed haha
QTE's don't bother me really but maybe it's because Shenmue is my fave game ever and so used to them.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Some stuff in Zelda too which I didn't like a whole lot (really in TP though).

You mean like the fight with Morpheel? I think that would qualify as a context sensitive action, since it's not in reaction to a cutscene and there's no particular timing involved.

I don't think it's a "reaction to a cutscene" thing, as QTEs are usually started with a button press. The difference is more simple than that. A CSA is a single action that can only be done at a certain time by pressing a certain button (like a last minute counter or dodge). A QTE is a series of timed button press (or motion control) actions in a row. Or, to be even more simple: A CSA is an action, a QTE is an event.

naznatips said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Some stuff in Zelda too which I didn't like a whole lot (really in TP though).

You mean like the fight with Morpheel? I think that would qualify as a context sensitive action, since it's not in reaction to a cutscene and there's no particular timing involved.

I don't think it's a "reaction to a cutscene" thing, as QTEs are usually started with a button press. The difference is more simple than that. A CSA is a single action that can only be done at a certain time by pressing a certain button (like a last minute counter or dodge). A QTE is a series of timed button press (or motion control) actions in a row. Or, to be even more simple: A CSA is an action, a QTE is an event.

Ahhh. An interesting point - but I see the emphasis in CSA and QTE. A context sensitive action is defined by an action that occurs in a specific context - you initiate it yourself, and there is no limit on how you might perform this acion. I can stand in front of a door in Wind Waker for days and it will only open when I press A, for example.

Quick Time Events, as I understand them, have more to do with the fact that you do not necessarily initiate them, and it often involves a sequence above what you initiated - so the knife fight with Krauser in RE4 is a QTE, but the kick to the face of Ganados would be a CSA.

But I don't think we can necessarily draw a distinction between the two that paints them as being mutually exclusive, either. Grabs in God of War are CSAs - when you grab at a Harpy Kratos stomps on it and rips off its wings, and he will do that every time you grab at one. When you grab onto one of the bosses, however, it begins a QTE, during which you must react to on-screen prompts or otherwise fail the QTE and suffer damage.

CSAs leading into QTEs is only really common in God of War that I've seen, but I've never played Shenmue.

in zelda? hell no

Talk about strange. The last few years I've been pondering writing a dynamic/context/skill sensitive Dragon Lair esque combat system(QTE). It wasn't until last week when I was looking into Shenmue that the command system recieved a name QTE.

Then I hear about the idea of a branching QTE. I'm thinking huh.

Ok heres my opinion. I know i'm late.

QTE as they are sorta suck. I understand them, but they serve little purpose than to force a restart of a scene or slow you down if you don't succeed. blarg. What a waste of time.

What I want to see is context sensitivity.
If my acrobatic character is backed against the wall a QTE can come up showing me a Motion Up(run up the wall and flip over the bad guy) or a Button Forward(strike at the enemy) or ....

As they are, ho hum

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
WereKitten said:
I can't see all the difference... QTE look like chains of CSAs to me, with fancy camera panning and zooming.

And the complete removal of any way to interact with the game other then waiting for a button prompt. I can't beleive people are trying to compare the parry move from Wind Waker to quick time events. In Wind Waker the entire game doesn't stop and the only thing I can is wait for that A prompt. I can still control my character and his items. In a quick time event, all you can do is wait for your button prompt.

But that's because QTEs are usually chained. You control Kratos normally in GOW before you start the QTE chain to rip a cyclop's eye off, and you can choose not to start it if you want and keep hitting him normally. Once you start the chain yes, you don't control him normally anymore, but one could say that each QTE is just a CSA where the context is the result of the previous QTE :)

So basically a CSA is just a QTE chain made only of one event?

Or another question: are special attacks in RE4/5 QTEs or CSAs? :)

In a QTE,you can't be hit ar affected by external forces until the sequence is over.In Twilight Princess,many times I got knocked out of the air mid-move(helm-splitter or ending blow,anyone?).In most of the WWE games on the PS2,once you start a grapple,your character can't be hit until he's done.Some special moves even automatically altered the positions of you & ur opponent in the ring!In WWE Day of Reckoning on the gamecube,you could be hit at anytime,no matter what you were doing.I've even seen someone power bomb an opponent through a trash can that was in the opponent's tag partner's hand!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs