By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A personal investigation into the varying models of the PS3

Thank you KylieDog. If I didn't notice it and see it on my very own system while playing the campaign, I wouldn't have thought much of it. But since I can notice it, I thought I'd try to get some group input. I agree, though, that the delay is not taking away my enjoyment of the game. It is still noticeable to me, probably because I am a twitchy CoD shooter player and notice things when it doesn't respond instantly. I am not gonna argue about the turning. I know that is just their design decision and is not a delay in any way.

@Procrastinato
Very understandable.  I just don't think any shooter has gotten the online tactical gameplay right.  Sure they have squads, but who ever uses them?  I've seen some people use them on Killzone 2 which is an improvement, but for joining with strangers, there just usually isn't any coherent strategy.  Unfortunately that is the fault of the gamer, not the game.  Gamers just wanna run/gun and be heroes rather than use team strategy

Around the Network

20 gig launch ps3, 2 year old phillips ambi plasma and no lag

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if it is just my faster perception? I mean, we've all seen the youtube video of the demo, and that is exactly what I see when I play the campaign. I just thought there would be some more people on here with newer models that could also vouch for this affect.

nightsurge said:
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if it is just my faster perception? I mean, we've all seen the youtube video of the demo, and that is exactly what I see when I play the campaign. I just thought there would be some more people on here with newer models that could also vouch for this affect.

Yes, of course it's this, nothing to do with a placebo effect of any kind... ;)

I'm on a 40 GB system, and I don't notice anything. I don't know if it's me not noticing though, but looking at that youtube video makes me go "What's the big deal?"

Around the Network

I think that some folks percieve "lag" as "animation lag", and others percieve it as "crosshair lag". I don't see any "crosshair lag", and I know that the animation lag on my gun/character is just visual fluff to make the game look cooler (which I appreciate).

The crosshairs aren't laggy, and that's what matters for gameplay. Any visual lag just makes the game look cooler, which I am totally fine with, but I know some folks have trouble separating the animated weapon model from their virtual gun in games. Hence my stance -- user perception.

The gameplay lag (crosshair) just doesn't seem like an issue at all, and any animation/visual lag of my gun/avatar just doesn't throw me off (it does for some though) -- I hardly notice them, really, except that the more organic animation enhances the "you're there" feeling for me in SP, which is cool. If there was any real lag in aiming, I think I would probably notice. I play a lot of MP shooters, on both the 360 and PS3 (and the PC), and I'm a pretty darn good shot with a dual analog (if I do say so myself ;).

I have some minor lag in Fallout 3 in my 60 gig launch system upgraded to a 400 gig drive, but that's probably just the game.

And btw, it's 'piqued.'

fadetoone said:
I have some minor lag in Fallout 3 in my 60 gig launch system upgraded to a 400 gig drive, but that's probably just the game.

And btw, it's 'piqued.'

Lol, thank you for the grammar correction.  It seems like people see it, but just assume it is supposed to be that way?  So basically the animation lag (which is what I was meaning, by the way) of the gun firing, the person meleeing, the person jumping, etc. is all set up to be just that?  I guess I hadn't looked at Call of Duty recently to see if I saw any animation lag, but I don't believe I saw any.  I did notice that in Killzone 2, they made simple actions more in depth like pushing a putton actually showed an animation rather than just turning on magically, so I guess it is very plausible that this isn't really "lag" and it is just a design aspect of their adding more detail to the animations.

nightsurge said:Lol, thank you for the grammar correction.  It seems like people see it, but just assume it is supposed to be that way?  So basically the animation lag (which is what I was meaning, by the way) of the gun firing, the person meleeing, the person jumping, etc. is all set up to be just that?  I guess I hadn't looked at Call of Duty recently to see if I saw any animation lag, but I don't believe I saw any.  I did notice that in Killzone 2, they made simple actions more in depth like pushing a putton actually showed an animation rather than just turning on magically, so I guess it is very plausible that this isn't really "lag" and it is just a design aspect of their adding more detail to the animations.

Well, for Fallout I say it's probably the game because it's buggy as hell.  The lag I experience is generally "I just hit the hot key to switch my weapon, why isn't it switching yet, oh there it goes" and not so much latency issues.

I have yet to play Killzone 2, so I can't speak to that game.

20gb launch model, 1080i Mitsubushi 51", component cables, no lag.