By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Even with Killzone 2, PS3 just barely outsold the 360.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Around the Network
narfwack said:

Hardware:

ConsoleThis WeekLast Year
 197,823 286,900
 150,742 119,945
 97,819 91,269
 63,472 84,710
 30,114 80,363
 97,669 49,920
Total 637,639 713,107

Looking at the Year over Year chart, the Killzone2 boost is rather small.
Good thing it surpasses last year sales.

Impressive increase for Nintendo Wii.
Impressive increase for Microsoft Xbox 360.

My Gaming Setup

Whoa. First week this year outside of Japan that the PS3 has beaten the 360. Not by much, but It's a much needed boost which will be really big combined with Japans hardware sales for Yakuza. Maybe the PS3 will win WW this week over the 360?

It's just that simple.

KZ2 budget and revenue:

Dev cost:
100 team average x 4 years x $100,000 = $40 million.

Add some outsourcing costs (some AI, perhaps some texture work, some of the sound & music/orchestratingm voice actors etc) ~ $10 million.
--------------
= ~$50 million

Marketing (hard to estimate):
~$30-40 million?
-----------
total expenses: $80-90 milion

Each game copy sold generates $30.

So it would need to sell 2.67-3 million to break even.

Early numbers indicate a 900,000-1 million copies opening week, which means lifetime sales of 4 million.

4 million generates $120 million. So, pretty much guaranteed to make at least a lil profit.

TowlieFTW said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ Towlie

Did I say you said that, no. I'm saying even comparing the sales of a game like MGS (anything) to KZ2 is a testament to how well it sold.

If you weren't so busy downplaying KZ2's sales, you would've seen what I'm saying.

I wasnt talking about sales I was talking about how hyped up this game got by ps3 fanboys and the only ps3 game with more hype was MGS4...

If only PS3 fanboys hyped/enjoy this game, there is something wrong with everyone else, probably related to sour grapes and damage control.

The quality has been apparent for a long time; it's apparent now.  This is not the greatest game ever but it is very very good and its another example of Sony first/second party studios delivering, again and again.

Around the Network

Disappointing KZ2 sales...I expected a lot more.

Slimebeast said:

KZ2 budget and revenue:

Dev cost:
100 team average x 4 years x $100,000 = $40 million.

Add some outsourcing costs (some AI, perhaps some texture work, some of the sound & music/orchestratingm voice actors etc) ~ $10 million.
--------------
= ~$50 million

Marketing (hard to estimate):
~$30-40 million?
-----------
total expenses: $80-90 milion

Each game copy sold generates $30.

So it would need to sell 2.67-3 million to break even.

Early numbers indicate a 900,000-1 million copies opening week, which means lifetime sales of 4 million.

4 million generates $120 million. So, pretty much guaranteed to make at least a lil profit.

It's hard to say, but Killzone: Liberation wasn't released until october 2006, and the dev tools for PS3 weren't out until early 2006, so dev costs are probably a little lower.

Rainbird - that doesn't prevent them from doing pre-development work on KZ2. Maybe not 100 people @ 100k/yr, but you might see a decent number of them working for a year before that.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Rainbird - that doesn't prevent them from doing pre-development work on KZ2. Maybe not 100 people @ 100k/yr, but you might see a decent number of them working for a year before that.

That's what I was getting at

The only reason Killzone 2 was hyped so much was because PS3 fans were saying this game was going to be just as good as Halo 3 and the two Gears games, and it lived up to the hype by being just as good and probably better than those games. As far as exclusives that will sell on PS3 go, those are FFXIII in Japan, FF VS. XIII, outside of Japan, Uncharted II, and God of War III. All of those will sell better than any game coming to the 360 for the rest of the gen as the only reasons most people have a 360 are Halo and Gears while almost all of the rest of the games on that system have sold to far fewer people and turned out to be huge critical disappointments eg. Ninja Gaiden ll, Too Human, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean IV, the Rare games, Halo Wars, and on and on.

Heavens to Murgatoids.