By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It BEGINS........SEGA Patents NEW Controller!

Sega patents controller?

This is a bit of a curious post.  We have been directed to look at this patent filed by Sega Japan, which shows off plenty of images of a Sega controller.

The curious thing is that the controller looks just like the Saturn’s NiGHTS into Dreams 3D controller, but the patent shows off lots of unique functions and attachments for the controller, such as; infra-red, arcade stick add-ons and even motion control!

At first look, it seems that the patent is just Sega’s original concept/design for the NiGHTS controller, but the patent was, apparently, filed “June 14th 2005″ and issued “February 10th 2009.”

One possible idea that springs to mind could be a new title for the PS3 or Wii (hence the motion control) and Sega wants to make a unique controller to go with it.  But I really doubt that is the case.

The chances are that these are just the original concepts for the 3D Saturn controller, not a brand new controller, and that Sega is just re-registering the patents.  But even if that is the case, then it is very interesting to see some of the ideas Sega had, especially the concept for motion control in games.

http://www.seganerds.com/2009/03/02/sega-patents-controller/

I still think SEGA is hatching an EVIL plan to make all their franchises successe's this gen then STORM the next generation with all those franchises exclusive to their system....hence stealing fans of SONY, MS, Nintendo

muwhahahahaha

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

WAT!

I dare not get my hopes up, though...

It looks like there's an Xbox guide button on it...

That looks... horrible. I'm sorry but that thing looks so difficult to handle.

didnt they just pantent a new machine as well."that they said was a new arcade machine" wink wink

Around the Network

that controller looks horrid

Of the three connectors, the leftmost one has a Wii end (#73), the middle piece (#62/#65) looks like it has a camera and a cable (for Xbox 360 motion?), and the rightmost piece (#52) has what looks part of an infra-red units.

What Sega was doing with this, I am not sure.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I hate Sega controllers as much as I hate the original xbox controller. They aren't meant for sane humans much less our hands.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

sega rave controller confirmed?

it looks like it would feel like an N64 controller, thus i dont like it