By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Market watch: Dow Jones drops approx. 300 points, 4% today. Drops below 7000 points.

Kasz216 said:

Without the US military spending the computer you use right now would not be anwyhere near as advanced.

That's a weak reply. 

Was the military statement as efficient with their R+D budget as a private corporation or privately held institute of research would be? Or to put it in a different way: would a privately managed entity have yielded more scientific and technologic breakthroughs with that budget?

Military projects are often veiled in secrecy, covered in red tape, managed by peers with a common military background and overseed over closed-door sessions of a very small number of democrately elected civilians. Traditionally those are the breeding grounds of inefficiency and corruption.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
Kasz216 said:

Without the US military spending the computer you use right now would not be anwyhere near as advanced.

That's a weak reply. 

Was the military statement as efficient with their R+D budget as a private corporation or privately held institute of research would be? Or to put it in a different way: would a privately managed entity have yielded more scientific and technologic breakthroughs with that budget?

Military projects are often veiled in secrecy, covered in red tape, managed by peers with a common military background and overseed over closed-door sessions of a very small number of democrately elected civilians. Traditionally those are the breeding grounds of inefficiency and corruption.

Said groups would never get said budget since such ventures are both

A) Too expensive except for government.

B) The final product is too expensive except for the government... until it goes down in price after the initial sticker prices are paid back via government contracts.

It's just like Nasa.  Could a public corporation do better?  Dunno.  They'll never get the funding since there isn't enough motivation outside of the government doing it.

Kasz216 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

That's a weak reply. 

B) The final product is too expensive except for the government... until it goes down in price after the initial sticker prices are paid back via government contracts.

It's just like Nasa.  Could a public corporation do better?  Dunno.  They'll never get the funding since there isn't enough motivation outside of the government doing it.

But that's the point I'm talking about. If the government were to take 5 billion from military spending and distributed it amongst privately managed investigation institutes -where the money would be under public scrutiny- as a society the US could get a better return on their tax money. We want less taxes and more efficiently managed, don't we?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Kasz216 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

That's a weak reply. 

But that's the point I'm talking about. If the government were to take 5 billion from military spending and distributed it amongst privately managed investigation institutes -where the money would be under public scrutiny- as a society the US could get a better return on their tax money. We want less taxes and more efficiently managed, don't we?

To what gain?  There would be no one to buy said products... unless you suggest the government also buy a bunch of stuff it won't even use.

Or unless you are talking about weapons... which these deals already go to private companies, but putting them under public scruitney would be dangerous when it comes to keeping the things ours.

Kasz216 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Military spending is a huge problem: these guys can wrap their blunders in tight layers of "national security secrecy" and red tape.

And if you attempt to cut there, the opposition will just use it as an electoral weapon. It's disgusting.

And technological advancements, job creation, exporting... as weapons are a fairly big US export... and the more advanced we get, the more we can sell off other weapons.

We've got something like dang near half of the arms market cornered... and this is despite the fact that we don't sell our newest stuff.

Also this is just the legal recorded numbers.

This is disgusting, in my opinion.  The US should not be in the business of exporting war machines.  We even claim to be trying to keep world peace.

If we didn't sell our weapons, we would slow the need for new and better weapons.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

To what gain?  There would be no one to buy said products... unless you suggest the government also buy a bunch of stuff it won't even use.

Or unless you are talking about weapons... which these deals already go to private companies, but putting them under public scruitney would be dangerous when it comes to keeping the things ours.

Well, for starters they might actually a better return on their investment. Less $$ for more science. Besides, while no one would be buying F22's, the science and technology would trickle down faster to society.

theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Military spending is a huge problem: these guys can wrap their blunders in tight layers of "national security secrecy" and red tape.

And if you attempt to cut there, the opposition will just use it as an electoral weapon. It's disgusting.

And technological advancements, job creation, exporting... as weapons are a fairly big US export... and the more advanced we get, the more we can sell off other weapons.

We've got something like dang near half of the arms market cornered... and this is despite the fact that we don't sell our newest stuff.

Also this is just the legal recorded numbers.

This is disgusting, in my opinion.  The US should not be in the business of exporting war machines.  We even claim to be trying to keep world peace.

If we didn't sell our weapons, we would slow the need for new and better weapons.

I don't disagree.  Just stating the simple facts of the situation.

As it's said.

"God give me serenity to accept the things I can't change, the courage to change the things i can, and wisdom to know the difference."

It's no different a statement then saying that abortions are a good thing for society because they reduce the number of poor and unwanted children.

Nobody is pro abortion. (well few)  Most people would perfer a world where people were actually responsible with sex.  However given that it can't be changed...

You go where the data points.

Look, I'm not lobbying for the all out cut off of all military funding immediately, but i believe an reduction in spending is due. I said a number like 20% would be sufficient. Hey, instead of keeping 250,000 troops active, why not reduce that to 200,000 instead?

Instead of getting the F22 out this year, lets reduce some spending on the R+D on that; it will delay the project a little so it might come out next year instead.

That Guy said:
Look, I'm not lobbying for the all out cut off of all military funding immediately, but i believe an reduction in spending is due. I said a number like 20% would be sufficient. Hey, instead of keeping 250,000 troops active, why not reduce that to 200,000 instead?

Instead of getting the F22 out this year, lets reduce some spending on the R+D on that; it will delay the project a little so it might come out next year instead.

That seems like the complete backwords thing to do when trying to stimulate the economy.  If anything it should be argued that we should increase production when it comes to replacing our outdated planes and ships.  Do stuff we were going to do down the line now early to spur production.

The F22 is already out though... we've got some made... other countries actually want to buy them.   We had them made with the Promise we'd buy 700+ and instead have decided to purchase only like... 128.  which really hurts Lockheed and Boeing.

the extra money could be used to help balance the budget, or to build up infrastructure, or to lower taxes, all of which would be beneficial.

Don't make it sound like Defense spending is exactly what we need to stimulate the economy