By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Midway layoffs, while execs getting nearly $4 millions bonuses?

Seems a common practice in US to reward execs during failures. Aren't they already paid big bucks to begin with?

source

Midway Offloading Mortal Kombat (And Screwing Former Employees)

Midway, publishers of the Mortal Kombat franchise, are in trouble. And how are they looking at getting out of trouble? By giving Midway executives bonuses! Oh, and by selling off Mortal Kombat.

Court documents surrounding the company's fight for survival have shown that Midway executives have set aside $3,755,000 in bonuses, which is to be divided amongst the company's upper management tier if they're able to meet certain goals.

One of those goals was in offloading Wheelman, which Ubisoft just picked up. So that's $497,500 in the pocket. Another objective (so important it's actually listed twice) is being able to secure the "execution of an asset purchase agreement for the sale of Midway's Mortal Kombat franchise assets".

On the one hand, selling off the Mortal Kombat rights might net them enough cash to keep their heads above water. On the other, however, Mortal Kombat is the only thing Midway have left.

Oh, and if you're wondering where a company can find $3,755,000 while in the midst of filing for bankruptcy, that's easy! They can take it by holding out on paying sacked employees the remainder of their PTO (paid/personal time off), something Midway originally promised they'd do.

Below is an original letter, dated February 9, promising the payment of PTO. Below that, a letter dated February 20, outlining Midway's plan to suspend those promised payments.

Midway Games Seeks Approval of a Key Employee Incentive Plan [netDockets]
[thanks Tech Noir!]

Around the Network

Yeah, it's a common and idiotic practice.

And they're selling Mortal Kombat? What IPs will they have left? Rampage and Root Beer Tapper?

Lets just be glad their selling off their IP's before they go bankrupt. I'm no Mortal Kombat fan, but there are still plenty out there who would hate to see the series stuck in legal limbo after Midway kicks the bucket.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

and another one bites the dust...

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

It's pretty much always like this, hell even Volvo execs are getting bonuses while the company fires thousands of people.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

If this is how Midway treats their workers they can expect one less customer, assuming they survive. After hearing this I will never purchase a Midway game in the future.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Good ridance

At this point I think the owners are just wringing Midway and it's IPs for everything they're worth before closing shop forever and screwing creditors and staff. Disgusting.

That's a good sign that Midway won't be around much longer.

I think the only midway game I have owned is Hydro Thunder for the N64, a decent enough game.