By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Kansas wants to ban lighters, LOL!

source

Senator’s bill would make it illegal for anyone under 18 to have a cigarette lighter

February 10, 2009

— Firefighters and health officials Tuesday called for new restrictions aimed at keeping cigarette lighters out of the hands of children.

“Too many children have access to cigarette lighters because the lighters are displayed in stores where children can easily see them, reach them, take them or purchase them,” said state Sen. Oletha Faust-Goudeau, D-Wichita.

She told the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee that she has seen cigarette lighters displayed next to candy on low shelves at checkout counters in many stores.

Her bill, Senate Bill 106, would make it illegal for a retailer to sell cigarette lighters to anyone under 18 and also make it illegal for anyone under 18 to have a lighter. Any person violating the measure would be subject to a $25 fine and court costs.

Retailers also would be required to keep the lighters out of reach, probably behind the counter.

“In our fire prevention efforts, we feel that there is absolutely no reason for any child under the age of 18 to have free access to or possess a cigarette lighter or any open flame device,” said Lt. Mark Chairs of the Wichita Fire Department.

Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Roderick Bremby also supported the bill. He said that from 2002 to 2006, 1,285 fires were set by children, resulting in five deaths, 51 civilian injuries and 10 firefighter injuries, with more than $7.5 million in property losses.

But a representative of convenience stores said the proposed legislation added another layer of regulation and didn’t fix the problem.

Tom Palace, executive director of the Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, said the bill had several problems. He said it didn’t define cigarette lighter, and it forced clerks to ask for identification for someone purchasing “a 99 cent Bic lighter.”

He said many convenience stores didn’t have any space left behind the counter because of all the items they are required to place there, such as cigarettes and certain cold medicines.

And while firefighters and KDHE voiced support for the bill, the Kansas Fire Marshal’s Office opposed it, saying it didn’t have the $248,000 start-up costs to conduct the proposed required inspections.

State Sen. Tim Owens, R-Overland Park, also voiced concerns, saying that the way the bill was written, if a youngster started a fire with a cigarette lighter then he or she couldn’t be charged with arson, but the lesser crime of possessing a lighter.

The committee took no action on the measure.

I wonder if it's illegal to own a flame thrower. How else do them kids light their stuff up?

Around the Network

Thats just ridiculous!

Aparently at Grocery stores, here in Virginia anyway, they aren't allowed to sell pipe cleaners to minors. /rolls eyes. Free country my ass.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Oh Kansas, what crazy antics will you be up to next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

So the day before your 18th birthday you're banned from buying a lighter, but the next day you can buy a gun because you're suddenly that much maturer! :0P

Around the Network

Many states have laws about lighters already. This isn't really anything new.

SW-5120-1900-6153

The fact that the government has enough power to even be able to consider such legislation is a very sad thing indeed.

At least they are concerned about the children...

Of course, it don't work if the children are either (a) not concerned with their own lives, (b) too ignorant to know what they are doing or ( c ) all of the above.

*sigh* When will this country understand that this is all part of the evolutionary part of life; if the idiots want to do stuff that ends up killing them, let them do it...it will weed out the useless. Now, about those guns and alcohol...

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

It is stupid. Parents will just buy the lighters for kids, and they'll use them anyways. If they don't use lighters, they will use matches. If they can't get matches, they'll use something else. Besides, I had lighters, matches, and all sorts of things to set things on fire and I never smoked, cause any major damage, or kill anyone

Now, if you wanted to ban kids from having lighters/matches/whatever from school then I'd be totally fine with that, as they don't need one there.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

a lot of stores require their cashiers to card for lighters anyways.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan