By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Report: World of Warcraft is as addictive as cocaine

Chicago (IL) - A soon-to-be published Swedish report by the Swedish Youth Organization and The Youth Care Foundation has determined that World of Warcraft plays a serious role in gaming addiction, being as addictive as cocaine. They even cite that there is not a single case of gaming addiction where World of Warcraft is not involved.

Sven Rollenhagen of the Youth Care Foundation said, "There is not a single case of game addiction that we have worked with in which World of Warcraft has not played a part."

In November, 2008, it was reported by The Local online site that a boy from Laholm (northern Sweden) was admitted into the hospital after playing World of Warcraft for 20 hours continuously.

Although there is currently no medical diagnosis of the condition, 170 of the 2000 calls received by the Youth Care Foundation related to video games, and it is believed this new report will shed light on the growing trend as World of Warcraft has grown significantly in popularity since that time.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41567/98/

----------------

Around the Network

lol am not even surprised they should do a research about halo 3 too

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

i dont think people are as obsessed as halo 3 than wow, not even close.

wow actually has depth, while halo is playing online and doing the same thing over and over (not saying its bad, saying its very different.)

people actually waste their life over their wow, while many people play halo 3 much more casually

Wouldn't know, never tried any of the 2.
Killzone 2 online is ruining me atm though, it can get quite addictive.....but from what I hear, no nearly as addictive as WoW.

Yea.. i suffered a lot from the game =(. It should just not be allowed for people like me who can get addicted fast to stuff..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

my cousin suffers from WoW syndrome

I wonder how long before WoW becomes a banned substance in some countries.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I managed to give it up, I was addicted without even finding it fun...

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
I managed to give it up, I was addicted without even finding it fun...

Cocaine of WoW?

The_vagabond7 said:
I wonder how long before WoW becomes a banned substance in some countries.

lol.  Australia would be the 1st one.