By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much did Killzone 2 development cost?

Id say a nice $50 million

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

I dont comment on rumors and speculation, that veing said development about 3 years. 40 people to make it until the finishing stages where it increased to 200. Uncharted was like 20mil, so kz2 is around 40-50 mil. they had to create the engine aswell

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Well, it must've been over 9,000!!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

DMeisterJ said:

First off, it was not in production for five years. Even if we take the E3 2005 target render for a start time, it'd still only be 3.75 years, so you're off by at least a year, but GG was working on Killzone: Liberation until 2006, and this is when their team was < 40 people, so it's not unlikely that Killzone 2 was not being worked on until completion, or near completion of KZ: Liberation. And that would explain why it was not seen at all at E3 2006, because there was nothing to show. And then it was shown at E3 07, because they had actually worked on something that year, so it's wholly likely that the game didn't begin work until mid-late 2006, and was complete by mid-late 2008 when it went into Open Beta, and many outlets had already received review code. So I will go with the idea that it was in development for 2 - 2.5 years.

Anyhoo, No one aside from SCE and GG knows how much the game costs, so this whole thread is covered in rumor and speculation. And like Sony, I do not comment on rumor and speculation.

That target render still required a lot of the design work to have been completed. Clearly they had a lot they could use from previous games, but they still needed to make the high res models for each character, Helghan landscape from scratch.

So if we say 4 years and GG have only worked on KZ games recently, then the entire cost of running that company is what it cost to make that game. With up to 200 staff, that's a LOT of money, even at 60 staff it's a lot. Then take into account the worldwide marketing budget for the game and you will get a very large number. I expect KZ2 to need sell AT LEAST 2 million to break even, it will do that, but it won't be a massive cash cow for Sony, not unless it sells COD type numbers.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

All I do know is that compared to GTA IV Sony will get back much more $$$ for each copy sold. This simply means less copies need to be sold in order to break even so even if the game cost $60 million 2 million copies would be break even point.

Around the Network

Infamy79:

GG didn't make the CGI teaser. It was outsourced to a different company.

The costume/weapons/vehicles seen in the trailer are very similiar to the ones found in Killzone 1 and Killzone: Liberation, and don't bare much resemble to the Killzone 2 designs. Also, it's location could be anywhere and is certainly very different to the Helghan setting found in Killzone 2.

I'm thinking very little new art design had to be made for the Killzone 2 CGI trailer. It looks like they just reused concepts from the first two games.

damndl0ser said:
NinjaKido said:
damndl0ser said:
DMeisterJ said:

First off, it was not in production for five years. Even if we take the E3 2005 target render for a start time, it'd still only be 3.75 years, so you're off by at least a year, but GG was working on Killzone: Liberation until 2006, and this is when their team was < 40 people, so it's not unlikely that Killzone 2 was not being worked on until completion, or near completion of KZ: Liberation. And that would explain why it was not seen at all at E3 2006, because there was nothing to show. And then it was shown at E3 07, because they had actually worked on something that year, so it's wholly likely that the game didn't begin work until mid-late 2006, and was complete by mid-late 2008 when it went into Open Beta, and many outlets had already received review code. So I will go with the idea that it was in development for 2 - 2.5 years.

Anyhoo, No one aside from SCE and GG knows how much the game costs, so this whole thread is covered in rumor and speculation. And like Sony, I do not comment on rumor and speculation.

Everything you covered under the first paragraph is rumor and speculation, so why did you say anything if you don't comment on it?

I seriously doubt anyone will ever know what it cost outside of Sony and GG.  Unless of course it sells 10 million copies and then Sony would be more than happy to let everyone know how much they made on it.   Without a doubt they were working on it for way more than 2.5 years.  I would guess anywhere between 4 to 4.5 at the very least.  So they will have a pretty large chunk of change envested in it.  

I hope it makes a decent enough profit because from what I have played of it, it is a good game.

**********EDIT**********

Ok, the KZ2 threads are way out of preportion, yes it is a good game but do we need 45 new threads a day?  Come on guys.

It's funny how DmeisterJ heavily supports his 2.5 year development time estimate with strong evidence and your simply assert in response that it couldn't have been less than 4 years in development.

Not saying that your wrong , but if you were right it would be by luck.

If you look closely at what I said you would read where I said "I would guess".  No where did I make up some mumbo jumbo to make what I said look better.   The simple fact is, unless DMeisterj works at GG, there is no way he could possibly know what is going on inside the company.

That and the fact that the 2005 trailer was "in game" which unless they were working on it in some form it they couldn't have maid said trailer.  It could be highly likely that it was their PC engine build that looked really nice and was their target for the real game, much like what happened with Brothers in Arms Hells Highway, the PC build for the trailer looked amazing then the full game comes out and it's no where near that.

OT: If I had to guess the development cost, with a typical budget around 20 million and having at least 2 and a half years development like DMJ, I'd give it 40 million easy, but those costs may go for the greater good since lots of first party teams will start using a lot of the same tech to produce good looking games at lower costs.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

A lot... besides the development of Killzone 2 you will have to add the buy of Guerilla Games from Media Republic in 2005... which by then already had 100+ employees and a 2 million+ seller of a game.. + inventory.. So it wasn't a small start-up developer Sony bought... No financial details were released but knowing Michiel Mol it wasn't cheap.. Media Republic stated that they could finance new projects for.. YEARS... hell I would even say Sony financed a bit of the Spyker F1 team... :)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Hyams said:
Infamy79:

GG didn't make the CGI teaser. It was outsourced to a different company.

Link? Source? Evidence? Rumors? Proof? Anything other than this one line in a forum message board?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I see a lot of people think Guerilla Games was small when Sony bought them.. but it wasn't:
http://www.molblog.nl/bericht/Media-Republic-verkoopt-Guerrilla-Games-aan-Sony/

It's in Dutch.. from 2005

Media Republic which had then 45 employees sold Guerrilla Games to Sony.. All 100 employees from Guerrilla Games are going to work for Sony...

So Guerilla games had 100 employees when it was bought by Sony in 2005.. Which grew to 140.. confirmed in a Dutch TV show last week..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)