By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Valve's Gabe Newell, Wii more interesting and valuable than Graphics/CPU

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070828074059.html Valve Software Praises Nintendo Wii, Criticizes Own Roadmap. Counter Strike, Half Life Creator Eyes Nintendo Wii Category: Multimedia by Anton Shilov [ 08/28/2007 | 07:43 AM ] Nintendo Wii has taken the hearts of gamers by storm, but it still needs to capture the attitude of game developers to really remain the best selling game console of the latest generation. Gabe Newell of Valve Software said that Wii does represent a lot of potential and the lack of games for Wii in the company’s plans was claimed to be a drawback of the software developer. “You can’t think of it as graphics, CPU, texture bandwidth scaling, you have to think of it as more fundamentally, and I think it’s more valuable. I think it’s more interesting than just graphics chip – CPU combination. […] The fact that we don’t have anything in development on it even though it represents big opportunities as a whole, it’s an obvious hole in our strategy,” said Gabe Newell, the founder and managing director of Valve Software, in an interview with Game Informer web-site. Nintendo Wii is the least technically advanced new-generation game console. Its success is a direct result of its relatively low price of $249 as well as unique motion-sensitive control devices. The main target markets for Wii are casual gamers, children and those new to video gaming. According to market observers, Nintendo Wii was acquired by over 10.5 million of gamers worldwide in less than a year, which means that it does make sense for game developers to put more effort into creating new titles for Nintendo Wii or Microsoft Xbox 360, but not put much effort into Sony PlayStation 3, which was sold through in 4.3 million quantities in nine months. But it is not that easy to develop games for Wii, claims the head of Valve Software. Wii does not have a powerful graphics processing unit or central processing unit. The main advantage of Nintendo Wii is motion-sensitive controller, which may change game experience fundamentally compared to a similar game on other game consoles. “I think the Wii represents more of a challenge because of its input. You can think of the Xbox 360 as pretty much a PC and a PlayStation as kind of a PC. The Wii gives you a bunch of problems that don’t fit into that model,” Mr. Newell said, but did not announce whether Valve’s games, such as Half Life, will be eventually available for Nintendo Wii, just like they are going to be available for Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3. Nintendo Wii console features IBM’s custom PowerPC architecture-based microprocessor named Broadway clocked at 729MHz and code-named Hollywood chip with built-in graphics core, DSP and I/O features from ATI that operates at 243MHz, earlier reports suggested. Nintendo Wii uses 91MB of memory in total: 23MB of “main” 1T-SRAM, 64MB of “external” 1T-SRAM and 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. Nintendo’s Wii does not feature a hard disk drive, instead, it boasts with 512MB of flash memory, but the console will also have a card reader, which will allow installing more memory. Nintendo set the recommended retail price of ¥25 000 (about $204) in Japan, $249 in the U.S. and €249 ($342) in Europe.

Around the Network

Awesome article, thanks joe! I think it would be insane (good) if Valve developed a game for the wii. Even if they just ported something like maybe Team Fortress 2 that would be super cool, I would def be buying that. Or even Portal =D.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Interesting to see one of the big graphic PC guys take this angle and what they may plan in the future.

I just read an interview with Tyson Green from Bungie who was saying working on a smaller budget game can offer more creativity and breathing room since you're not locked in from day 1 for 3 years on everything. You can have flexibility so that if you get a nutty idea, you can run with it.

I think Newell feels the same to a degree.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

FishyJoe said:
... According to market observers, Nintendo Wii was acquired by over 10.5 million of gamers worldwide in less than a year .....
I wonder where they got those infos. :o)

FishyJoe said:
... According to market observers, Nintendo Wii was acquired by over 10.5 million of gamers worldwide in less than a year .....
I wonder where they got those infos. :o)

seems like they took that number and the 4.3 for the PS3 right from here! but there is the odd chance that they did collect all the other information and sum it up like NeoGaf did (if your not familiar, they guessed on the Europe numbers but summed the Japanese and American numbers)

Also, did anyone notice this -> Wii does not feature a hard disk drive, instead, it boasts with 512MB of flash memory, but the console will also have a card reader, which will allow installing more memory.

now this could just be referring to the SD slot, but it could mean something else.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

And who really cares what they think ? Seriously , just because they had luck , and made a carrier in gaming , doesnt really means that we should bealive them on everything . I would rather make my own opinion thank you , and choose the console that suits me the best .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

It'd be nice to see Valve make at least one game on the Wii. It's great to hear though that he finds that it the graphics and cpu isn't the only thing that matters.

I'm more surprised that this is comming from Valve than anything else ...

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are two of the games I would put on the list of games which took technology to the next level with massive benefits to gameplay; at the time the swarm AI in Half-Life was unique and revolutionary, and Half-Life 2 was the most fun physics demo ever created.

All I can say is LOL!!!

hunter_alien said:
And who really cares what they think ? Seriously , just because they had luck , and made a carrier in gaming , doesnt really means that we should bealive them on everything . I would rather make my own opinion thank you , and choose the console that suits me the best .

It's great that you can choose your own console...but developer's opinions are important...it gives us hints on what direction they're going.  For instance, this implies that perhaps Valve will make or port a game or two to the Wii, very good for Wii owners. 

And they didn't just "have luck" in the business...they made and continue to make "AAA" games, earning their place among the best developers.  Half Life and Half Life 2 have made it onto many top lists of games of all time...and rightfully so.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )