By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why sites should WANT TO review MP3 highly...

grandmaster192 said:
I'm ready for this debate, shams. Nintendo doesn't hold as much power as you guys think.

Agreed! Too much fuel being dumped on the fire will make it burn out quicker. Nintendo need their hardcore. Basically you could say, that the GC had most Hardcore to keep em afloat. They shouldn't neglect their fans for the sake of maxium financial return. 

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network

The game is godly, gametrailers made the best review(like always) possible for that game. Why wouldnt anyone give it a 9.2 or above?

mM
DarkNight_DS said:

Nintendo is still the heart of the game market, it beat a little slower last gen but this gen it's got almost complete control over the market.  Both with it's games and 3rd party games.  Look at all the third parties jumping on the Wii bandwagon and also look how they are all changing their styles to have a better mix of game types.  

Ok.. So why is it when I go to Gamespot there are no Wii 3rd party games on their main page.  When I go to IGN and look at the 10 most popular games 1 is for Wii (a 1st party game), 3 are for the PS3 (all 1st party), 5 for the 360 (3 of those being 3rd party), and one 3rd party PC game?  Or when I go to 1UP there's mention of 1 Wii 3rd party game and the rest being 360, PS3, and PC third party games?  Where is this complete control?  Is that the reason why there's a thread here pointing to an online petition to try to get a Wii version of Resident Evil 5?

As for looking at all the third parties jumping onto the Wii bandwagon, I've seen very few quality games being shown mixed in with a lot of budget titles and other quick cash-in games.  From what I've seen so far the Wii bandwagon is basically to make shallow party or other gimmicky games that will appeal to those that will use the system occasionally at parties or in groups but holds very little value to anyone who wants depth in their games or ones that can hold their interest for any real length of time.  Without Nintendo's 1st party games propping up the Wii it would be a virtual wasteland of crap.

That's the reason why some hardcore gamers are worried about or angry with the Wii, it might lead to game developers and publishers basically producing dumbed down and watered down games in an attempt to try to appeal to the masses.  It's like taking a complex book and making a dumbed down movie out of it because they feel it would be too hard for some audience members to understand.  Sure some people can thump their chest and boast about the amount of money the movie is making but others will shake their head and wish for what the movie could have been if it had not been made for the lowest common denominator of movie goers.

finalsquall said:
grandmaster192 said:
I'm ready for this debate, shams. Nintendo doesn't hold as much power as you guys think.

Agreed! Too much fuel being dumped on the fire will make it burn out quicker. Nintendo need their hardcore. Basically you could say, that the GC had most Hardcore to keep em afloat. They shouldn't neglect their fans for the sake of maxium financial return.

LOL

Here from Reuters. (5th largest comapany in the second largest economy.) "to become Japan's fifth-biggest company by market value on Thursday, propelled higher by a stellar earnings performance on demand for its Wii and DS game gear."

That is just in video games, no operating systems or flat screen televisions. 370 billion yen or about 3.233 billion dollars of profit last year the whole world the industry was 31.6 billion of REVENUE(from business week)"$31.6 billion in 2006".

Revenue from Nintendo is 966 billion yen or 8.1 billion US ("The Kyoto-based company said on Thursday in its fourth outlook hike this year that earnings would exceed its January forecast on stronger-than-expected revenue of about 966 billion yen ($8.1 billion), but it did not give specific profit numbers.")

8.1/31.6 = .256

Nintendo is 25.6% of the whole industry, hardware, software, mobile phones, cheap little TV devices from China, Xbox boxes, Playstations, Eyetoys, Halos, etc. etc. etc.

That is one quarter of the whole industry.'

EDIT and that was in '06 with only one and a half months of the Wii being out.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:

LOL

Here from Reuters. (5th largest comapany in the second largest economy.) "to become Japan's fifth-biggest company by market value on Thursday, propelled higher by a stellar earnings performance on demand for its Wii and DS game gear."

Love the typo in that article:

"Nintendo's stock climbed 8.8 percent or by its daily limit of 5,000 yen to end at a record 618,000 yen, adding to a 3.5 percent gain made on Wednesday after its earnings announcement."

Wow, that's a serious growth - 1000% in a day ;)

@all - sorry if I haven't addressed all the comments in this thread, will try to when I get home from work tonight.  

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Dammit, shams I put together what I thought was a good post and then you had to point out that I had an unreliable source... wait Reuters said what?!?!?! :P

Still you get my point. And the article is still true, it just has a typo.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I am shocked sometimes by the gross misconceptions around the term casual player. A casual player could be visualized as the lazy gamer. Imagine yourself being really lazy about your gaming. Think of playing games for less then two hours a week. Think about being very ignorant about game mechanics. Think about having sluggish reflexes. Think about also being impatient. You want it now, and if you do not get it now your going to walk. Hey now your thinking like a casual player.

The casual player knows what they like. They like picking up a game and getting the controls in under three minutes. They want the game to be easy. They also want it in bite size form. They want a thirty minute relationship that they can drop and come back to two weeks later with no penalty. They are in no rush to play other people. They will if one is right next to them, but they are perfectly happy playing by themselves. This is just a silly little way to pass some time.

I suppose the mere thought of playing a game geared towards the casual player terrifies some people who consider themselves as gamers, core gamers, or hardcore gamers. I also think that some of these gamers are utterly oblivious to the fact that there are actually people who game this way or have to game this way. When you play for ten hours a week you judge things by that standard.

For instance people referring to the multiplayer in this very thread. Do you actually expect someone with two hours of play time a week to spend that time on multiplayer. Do you think that kind of player is going to go through the hassle of online play?

Smash Brothers is absolutely a casual game it is the very definition of a casual game. Easy controls, short play sessions, no complex rule sets. There is a reason fighters occupy so many arcade machines. Obviously you can become very good at these games, but you can also be a piss poor player and still enjoy them.

Ah ha ha, "lazy gamer". It's like a lazy TV watcher or a lazy napper.

Soriku said:
BenKenobi88 said:
ItsaMii said:
I say drop the Bullshit and let Sony Defense Force review it. They would provide a great non biased review.

I still don't get why they called themselves the "Sony Defense Force." Is it because (not trying to flame here) they're defending the losing console this generation, or what?

Yeah, and you have no idea what BS they spew. For example, 2 things they did: When last NPD #s came out they add the PSP, PS3, AND PS2 #s together, compared them to the other systems, and said "lolololol Sony = on top of t3h w0rldz!11!!1!" Stupid huh? Another: Remember that Sony dude that said PS2 is out-selling Wii? They reported that and said "lololol you heard it here! PS2>Wii wtfbbQ!"

Actually, it's a great point that Sony actually sold more than the other companies with their console sales combined, it that's true.  I'm sure it's not very far off.

Shams is trying to tell us Nintendo has dominated for 2-3 years.  The DS may have been doing well but until this year Sony has continued to lead.  This year things are different but third parties are not switching many of their main franchises to the Wii.  Even if the Wii keeps selling out due to forced lack of supply increasing demand, the gamers will continue to buy many more games than casual fans do and the PS3 and 360 will continue to do well and most likely better.

Btw, no review sites should want to do anything but review games objectively.  The idea for the thread is absurd.  This is why people get so upset about MP3 getting a "low" score of 85.  People seem to think because the Wii is so awesome and only has 3 great games planned for this year, starting with MP3, that it absolutely must score higher than every other game, when in fact Bioshock is a better game that Metroid Prime 3.

So they should rate a game high not based on merits but on some kind of support for core games on Wii?

You can pretty much throw away the reviews of any magazine if that's the way they're thinking...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!