By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else here think that Final Fantasy VI is the greatest game ever made

Not for me, i don't even think it's the best RPG or the best Final Fantasy (runs away)... Now, it's one of the must-play games that defined Square's golden era...

I can name RPGs that i've found to be better: Final Fantasy VIII, X (VII for me is equal, not better), Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Persona 2,4, Dragon Quest III, VIII...

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

Still can't wait for an FFVI remake though.

Just watch them murder the script like they did with Chrono Trigger.

As for the OP:  No.

I hope not. That would make me cry.

I have faith in thinking that they won't mruder it though, the original SNES version that released in the US didn't even follow the original script properly from what I know and much of that was fixed in the GBA re-release, but the music was butchered.

I didn't play CT on the DS though, how was it murdered?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

When I was playing it and for many years afterwards I considered it the greatest game ever.

In my mind now though I would give that title to diablo 2 followed by starcraft.

But imo FF6 is the greatest console game ever and the best jrpg without a doubt.

Had to change my sig to get some moderator to quit bitching about it......

Euphoria14 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

They took away Frog's accent.  Quite a few of Magus' lines are changed.  

The game is still fun, but it lost a bit of personality with the changes.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

But Frog in the original JP version didn't have that accent. It was simply invented for the english SNES translation. I haven't played the DS version, but I assume the new accent resembles more closely the original japanese one (which I read was rather rude) than the (quite annoying, at least for me) Shakesperean one of the SNES

Around the Network

Uh, sadly no. It is the best in the Final Fantasy series but in my book Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears are ahead of it, and that's in the RPG genre. Personally, the best game ever is Mario 64 or Mario Bros 3.

What are you looking at, nerd?
StanGable said:

Uh, sadly no. It is the best in the Final Fantasy series but in my book Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears are ahead of it, and that's in the RPG genre.

I like this guy. He knows the good Square games.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

zexen_lowe said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

But Frog in the original JP version didn't have that accent. It was simply invented for the english SNES translation. I haven't played the DS version, but I assume the new accent resembles more closely the original japanese one (which I read was rather rude) than the (quite annoying, at least for me) Shakesperean one of the SNES

So we had a more awesome version of the game than the Japanese did?  Cool.

zexen_lowe said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

As for the OP: No.

They took away Frog's accent. Quite a few of Magus' lines are changed.

God yes, that accent was ridiculous! Did you noticed that no one else in 600 actualy talked that way?

Other than that, the original SNES version had a very nice translation (especially if you consider the fact that Woolsey did it everything in just 1 month), as did FFVI.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Words Of Wisdom said:

So we had a more awesome version of the game than the Japanese did?  Cool.

Meh, I think that accent is both overused and annoying. It may have been cool back then, but when I played the game (2004 or 2005, can't remember) it felt boring and had no reason to be there

Anyway, wiki says this:

Compare original and translation for this line– Frog: "P, perish the thought, lass! By the way, whither the blue-haired one?" to Japanese– カエル「バ、バカヤロー! それより、あお白いツラした マントのヤローは、いなかったか!?" to the retranslated version– Frog: "D, dumbass! More importantly, that pale-faced caped bastard wasn't there!?