By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Wheelman Dev say "The PS3 is a huge pain in the ass"

heruamon said:
dbot said:

I think you will continue to see exclusive DLC as long as Microsoft will pay for it.  I hope you aren't suggesting that developers would spend the time to develop a full retail release but then bag the DLC because it's too hard.  That wouldn't make much sense.

No, my queation was more along the lines of, is it still harder to develop the DLC, once the game is completed.

Sorry.  I would assume that most developers will already have their toolsets in place when it comes time to develop DLC, and their team will already have experience with the platform.  So generally speaking it is probably easier, but it depends on the type of DLC.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
heruamon said:
joeorc said:

and yet you have other DEVELOPER'S from Sony that has said that the PS3 is not any harder to develop on than the xbox360

TED PRICE seem's to think so:

so yea you can find any source to fit an agenda

Please provide the source, since last time I check, Ted Price doesn't develop on the PS3, so How can he possibly know?  Gimme some multi-platform developers saying so, and there's the little fact of having Sony THEMSELVES say it...what was Sony's agenda in that?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10207

they asked ted several Q: about development on the PS3..notice his Answer's

here from Capcom:

Resident Evil 5 Producer Masachika Kawata has questioned the idea that developing a PlayStation 3 version of a multiplatform game is significantly harder than developing one for Xbox 360.

But he insisted that PS3 was far from the programming nightmare some commentators have styled it. "The PS3 is often said to be more difficult. As someone developing for it, though... I haven't found it to be too tough."

This may, however, have more to do with the flexibility of Resident Evil 5's engine than the nature of the platform. "With our proprietary engine, the MT Framework - it's an engine we specifically made for development on next-gen consoles - one of its particular strengths is ease of porting to different platforms."

pretty much what TED PRICE talked about

Notice ted refered to thing's like middleware, engines made for the hardware you are developing for

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

it's also depend's on the Developer's skill and experience .

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Wheelman is no where near my most wanted games list.

joeorc said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:

and yet you have other DEVELOPER'S from Sony that has said that the PS3 is not any harder to develop on than the xbox360

Please provide the source, since last time I check, Ted Price doesn't develop on the PS3, so How can he possibly know?  Gimme some multi-platform developers saying so, and there's the little fact of having Sony THEMSELVES say it...what was Sony's agenda in that?

here from Capcom:

Resident Evil 5 Producer Masachika Kawata has questioned the idea that developing a PlayStation 3 version of a multiplatform game is significantly harder than developing one for Xbox 360.

But he insisted that PS3 was far from the programming nightmare some commentators have styled it. "The PS3 is often said to be more difficult. As someone developing for it, though... I haven't found it to be too tough."

This may, however, have more to do with the flexibility of Resident Evil 5's engine than the nature of the platform. "With our proprietary engine, the MT Framework - it's an engine we specifically made for development on next-gen consoles - one of its particular strengths is ease of porting to different platforms."

Notice ted refered to thing's like middleware, engines made for the hardware you are developing for

It's interesting, since Capcom just announce Lost Planet 2, as a 360 exclusive...M$ must have paid ALOT of money to keep it so.  The game pushed 1.84 million on the 360, vice 410k on the PS3...and given that it's reported that it normally cost 10% more to produce multi-platform...the exclusive tag on Lost Planet 2, is a real head scratcher, and it was quite a surprise. 

I looked over the Price article, but once again, he's got NO experience in multi-platform, so he's not a realistic source.  Just like I wouldn't given much credence to Bungie saying, 360 is easiest to program for.  After Insomniac's first multiplatform or 360 exclusive, I'll give his comments more credit.  Also Kawata said it's not a nightmare, not that it is jsut as easy...not the same statements.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

this is the game with vin diesel right????

vizunary said:
this is the game with vin diesel right????

Yeah, the guys who did riddick, I think.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

heruamon said:
joeorc said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:

here from Capcom:

It's interesting, since Capcom just announce Lost Planet 2, as a 360 exclusive...M$ must have paid ALOT of money to keep it so.  The game pushed 1.84 million on the 360, vice 410k on the PS3...and given that it's reported that it normally cost 10% more to produce multi-platform...the exclusive tag on Lost Planet 2, is a real head scratcher, and it was quite a surprise. 

I looked over the Price article, but once again, he's got NO experience in multi-platform, so he's not a realistic source.  Just like I wouldn't given much credence to Bungie saying, 360 is easiest to program for.  After Insomniac's first multiplatform or 360 exclusive, I'll give his comments more credit.  Also Kawata said it's not a nightmare, not that it is jsut as easy...not the same statements.

his response was:

"I haven't found it to be too tough."

and as for Ted Price not having any experience in Multi-platform..you cannot say that at all..why because you don't know that

for sure, just because you do not see a developer put out a game for a platform does not mean, they do not have Experience with the platform.

look at Valve's

Gabe Newell has he directly DEVELOPED FOR THE PS3?

does that mean he's not looked over the Hardware and gave his OPINION on development on the PS3

see what i mean...you cannot say 100% if the developer has no Experience unless he say's he has no experience with the platform

the fact that TED price was Q : about the xbox360 and he gave some insight about both platform's mean's he must know something's. about each Game system

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:
heruamon said:
joeorc said:

here from Capcom:

his response was:

"I haven't found it to be too tough."

and as for Ted Price not having any experience in Multi-platform..you cannot say that at all..why because you don't know that

for sure, just because you do not see a developer put out a game for a platform does not mean, they do not have Experience with the platform.

look at Valve's

Gabe Newell has he directly DEVELOPED FOR THE PS3?

does that mean he's not looked over the Hardware and gave his OPINION on development on the PS3

see what i mean...you cannot say 100% if the developer has no Experience unless he say's he has no experience with the platform

the fact that TED price was Q : about the xbox360 and he gave some insight about both platform's mean's he must know something's. about each Game system

Hmmm...that's interesting, since Gabe said Valve is looking spin up for PS3 development in-house.  It's a resourcing issue, since porting from 360 to PC and vice versa is a snap...ps3 is it's own thing, and not easy.  So, if you have limited resources, you do what delivers the greatest returns...water find the path of least resistance.

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2008/09/23/newell-says-valve-needs-to-invest-in-ps3-development/4

I didn't use Gabe comments, but instead used developers who are MULTI-PLATFORM...

here from Capcom:

heruamon said:
joeorc said:
heruamon said:

Capcom has not announced Lost Planet 2 as an Xbox exclusive.  They have refused to do so.  I think the only thing exclusive about Lost Planet 2 is the announcement.  It is most likely multi-platform.  Capcom has already stated they are multi-plat this gen.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.