By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Prime 3 Reviews Thread

Maybe we should start a VGChartz users review thread for MP3. I know I'll be reviewing it once I get to play it - but that may not be for 2 months at least.

My biggest fear is that it will be a perfect 10 for me - so I'm forced to disagree with IGN & GT as well.

In the end word-of-mouth beats out reviews anyway. MP1 ended up with almost 100 reviews on gamerankings, so a few "poor" scores may not impact the outcome that much.

Here is a thought for you all: if the controls in MP3 undoubtably prove that the Wii can provide a superior control system for these sort of games (FPSs & more) - should sites mark down every FPS on the 360/PS3 because it will have an inferior control system?

I hope Retro/Nintendo "release the magic" (i.e. control source code) to other companies. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
naznatips said:
misterd said:
naznatips said:

The newness does NOT hurt reviews for all sequels. At least not on Gamespot. I already listed: Ratchet and Clank games don't seem to be affected by the fact that nothing changes between them. Nor does Halo 2, Call of Duty 2 and 3, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Subsistence, Madden 08, GTA3 and it's various nearly identical reproductions, Dead or Alive 4, Guitar Hero 2, Half-Life 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, oh and about 100 other games that are identical or nearly identical to their predecessors yet scored higher than them, and higher Metroid Prime 3. Are you seriously going to try and tell me that ANY of those games changed more than was changed in Metroid Prime 3?

As far as the difficulty, they obviously didn't play it on the advanced difficulty setting that you unlock after beating the game. Everyone who did played it says it was very challenging. IGN hasn't even been able to beat it yet.

Well, the only one of those games I played was Half Life 2, and yeah that WAS different enough (as different as a 1P FPS could be) from the original that it doesn't deserve any knocks in that regard.

I've played everything on that list, including Half-Life 2.  I can tell you that from the video reviews and everything I have seen and heard about the game much less changed between them than has changed in MP3.  I include Half-Life 2 in that statement.  I don't think any games should be counted off for familiarty (or at least not much at all) as long as they aren't repeating the same mistakes.  

Whether you think it should matter or not, or whether it is fair or not, what I said remains true. Lack of originality dogs - ie hunts, haunts, hangs over, pursues, troubles, etc - all sequels, whether they be games, movies, books or Shakespearean plays. Listen or read most interviews with people involved in making a sequel and they will say one of the hardest things to do is to do something original while remaining faithful to what came before. Probably the most common complaint about sequels after "not as good as the first" (which is actually relatively rare when it comes to games) is "seen it before." Some franchises manage to rise above this, some don't.  What I've SEEN of Metroid (not having played it because, you know, it just came out today) seems very familiar to the last 2 titles. What I've read in reviews says that's ain't so. I'll have to wait to weigh in myself.

As for Gamespot, I've never put much stock in what they say. It could be that's an honest and fair opinion, or perhaps they took the easy criticism without stopping to think it through. Regardless, if this is the worst score MP3 gets, who cares?

Teehee. Here's a funny review.

From Variety.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934519.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1

chuckd said:
Teehee. Here's a funny review.

From Variety.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934519.html?categoryid=1023&cs=

It's cute how they compared it with Halo in the first paragraph. I've stopped reading the review after that.

It's going to be hard going back to dual analog after playing corruption, it's that good. But I don't think sites should mark down scores for other shooters because of inferior controls. The same reason Wii games shouldn't get lower scores because of their lack of graphics power.

WiiU Network ID:  the_Ultros

PSN: Anthaleigh

Xbxox Live:  campblood1980

Around the Network

And another review.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33587/118/

Wow, its becoming fashionable to bag out Metroid... great :)

That variety review was hilarious...

"Too much of the time, though, "Metroid Prime 3" is more tedious than epic. This is particularly true of the boss battles, which are exhaustive affairs requiring dedication, patience, and most importantly, a familiarity with the vocabulary of videogames: double jumping, circle strafing, shooting weak points for massive damage, etc. Those who previously used the Wii only for party games will need a 13 year-old boy to explain it all."

Hahah!! :))

Yahoo games gave it 8/10!

http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=803312

• Graphics
  • Sound
  • Gameplay
  • Story
  • Interface
Cons:No multiplayer; Might be a bit too conventional for long standing fans

"It's a bit silly and contrived the way you have to twist and push and wave your Wiimote to operate Samus' spaceship, put energy cells into sockets, touch a hand sensor, or pull an enemy shield out of his hands. But it's a nice bit of Wii flavoring."

"Metroid Prime 3 opens on a battle right out of Halo, with space marines battling it out on a besieged ship being boarded by space pirates, and even some Flood-like critters swarming across the floor. But never fear. This is your father's Metroid. The Halo-ization takes a back seat (it briefly reappears at the far end of the game), leaving you to a good old-fashioned Metroid space crawl."

"If you consider the competition games like BioShock and Gears of War, Metroid is going to feel stilted and oddly paced. But if you're a fan of the long-running series, you'll probably be pleased how well this game fits into the canon, both in terms of gameplay and story. This is a classic Metroid game, made easy enough that it's also an ideal introduction for new players. Plus, you'll get a good look at Samus unmasked! In that regard, at least, Halo 3 has nothing on Metroid 3."

(is every first person game now going to be compared to Halo?? WTF?? Metroid, GoW, BioShock?? LOL... :>)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

What is wrong with people comparing this game to HALO. This is pissing me off. You do not compare Samus to Megaman just because both heroes have robot-like suits and use charged shots. The singleplayer experience is not even close and ...
Halo single player suck ...
there I said it. Flamewar will start in T minus 20 sec.
I can take comparisons to Bioshock, but Halo is not even a good FPS to be compared to all games of that genre released.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

3 hours in the game and I can say it his an amazing game !!!!

I read that the Gamepro's reviewers said he has difficulty with the controls for the first hour...Maybe he don't know how to hold the Wiimote, it takes me 10 minutes to learn the controls.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

I've played around 6 hours now... I'm starting to find some of these reviews hilarious.

Let's start:

According to some of the naysayers (gamepro) the game eliminated exploration for more combat. However, even after only 6 hours I have backtracked almost everywhere at least twice on the second planet. I have gone through periods of 30 minutes at a time without any major combat encounters... I mean this feels like a Prime game, not like a shooter. No, there isn't as much time spent backtracking, but the balance is perfect. The game is without a doubt Adventure over Shooter, not the other way around. Which leads us to our next point:

If you even play the game for a couple hours, you will be able to tell that this is purely an adventure game. This feels like Zelda in Sci-Fi more than Halo, other than the starship and first planet. I'll admit that level is much more combat focused, but it's there for tutorial purposes, and sadly even the tutorial level is a deeper and more rewarding gameplay experience than anything in either Halo game.

Anyone criticizing this game for lack of multiplayer in reviews has not played much of it at all, or is simply a complete moron and should never be allowed to use a keyboard, much less post review scores on the internet. Bioshock is much more of a shooter than this game (granted I only played it for about 20 minutes, but I'm very confident in that statement), and was not criticized for no multiplayer.

Yes, it has a fun control scheme that does blow away dual analog, but great control schemes =/= the necessity of multiplayer. The style of the game is not conducive for multiplayer. I do hope that someone else uses the controls to make a great multiplayer game sometime, but this is not it. Get over it. Some people like single player games, and there is no excuse for reviewing a single player game lower because it wasn't the type of game you wanted... that's like reviewing Super Mario Galaxy and saying "Well, it's the best platformer ever, but I wanted an RPG. 8/10"

Another funny complaint: It's unoriginal. The only thing unoriginal about it is that it still follows a similar formula to the previous games. I mean my god, that's like saying every FPS game ever is unoriginal because they are all linear. At least Prime 3 introduced a revolutionary new control scheme that blows away any previous FPS control set up. The creative uses of new visors, the unbelievably incredible, unique, and gorgeous environments, and the amazing controls not only set it apart from the other 2 Prime games: They set it on top of them, and set a standard for ALL adventure games.

My complaints: There was too much combat in the first world, which was too linear. It was really a tutorial world though so I'm being nit picky. The voice acting is a bit cheesy at times, but most of the time very good and the game has a good dramatic flare. That's it so far. My score at this point: a 9.7. It's not perfect, but it's much closer than I ever expected it to be. The feeling of desolation mixed with wonder as you battle and explore across an alien planet alone remains completely intact.