By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Street Fighter IV Ships 2 Million

February 23, 2009
Press Release
3-1-3, Uchihiranomachi, Chuo-ku
Osaka, 540-0037, Japan
Capcom Co., Ltd.
Haruhiro Tsujimoto, President and COO
(Code No. 9697 Tokyo - Osaka Stock Exchange)

Capcom’s “Street Fighter IV” Breaks the Two Million Mark!
- The game has enjoyed successful first period sales thanks to the revitalization of the series with its first title in 11 years! -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is proud to announce that it has shipped two million copies of “Street Fighter IV”, the newest title in the company’s popular series, “Street Fighter”.

The all new “Street Fighter IV” has the unmistakable feel of a 2D fighting game and is jam-packed with beloved characters from previous iterations. Beautiful graphics only capable with the newest game consoles, combined with various new additions to the combat system has created a title can be enjoyed by both fighting game and “Street Fighter” fans alike. As a bonus, the multi-platform console versions (Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION®3) boast an array of additional characters.

The original “Street Fighter” was released in 1987, and was then followed up in 1991 by the legendary hit “Street Fighter II”. The series revolutionized combat systems in games, and established the fighting game genre. Since then, “Street Fighter” has been a global hit, selling over 500,000 arcade machines and 27 million console games.

Beginning last year, Capcom has continued to move ahead with its “Street Fighter” 20th anniversary project through successive releases of new arcade machines, console games, and various events such as the “Street Fighter IV National Tournament”. In addition, under its “Single Content Multiple Usage” strategy, Capcom will release the Hollywood movie “Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li” on February 28th, 2009. The movie was developed in order to help rebuild the “Street Fighter” brand by drawing in new fans and reinvigorating fans of old. In fruition of its policies, Capcom has achieved the feat of breaking the two million copy mark despite the economic crisis with this first iteration of the “Street Fighter” series in 11 years.

At Capcom, not only do we strive to make entertaining and profitable games, but we are always endeavoring to lucratively develop our popular franchises in other media in ways that will please the fans.

【Product Details】

1. Title STREET FIGHTER IV
2. Genre Fighting
3. Platform PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC (PC release date undecided)
4. Release Date Japan: February 12, 2009
North America: February 17, 2009
Europe: February 20, 2009

* PLAYSTATION is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
* Xbox 360logo is registered trademarks of the Microsoft Corporation and/or related companies.

Inquiries regarding the above information may be directed to:

Capcom Co., Ltd.
Public Relations Office
(Email) ir@capcom.co.jp
(Address) 3-1-3, Uchihiranomachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 540-0037, Japan
(Tel)+81-6-6920-3623 (Fax) +81-6-6920-5108

Press Release

Around the Network

Capcom had previously projected sales of 1.7m this quarter, so 2m already means SFIV has been a big hit for Capcom.

And well deserved too, its a teriffic beat em up.

Great i hope it sells well.

its been a big hit for capcom, its a great game i didnt know that playing online matches nets you clothing for home.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

The xbox 360 version of Street fighter IV was sold out (and taking pre-orders for the next shipment) in my local EB games. The only other big games that have done that were GTA IV and spore. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Thats shipped, not even sold to retailers = S

Still, lets hope this puts some life back into fighters

Great news! The best fighting game is back.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Hmm, impressive, but let's not forget Soul Calibur 4 also had a massive shipment, but not so spectacular sellthrough.

It would be good if this sold well, fighters aren't very popular anymore.

It has better score than game like Killzone 2 on Metacritic,94,so this should really sell.

Take my love, take my land..