By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Most Innovative Companies in Gaming

From fastcompany.com

The Most Innovative Companies in Gaming

By: Sherri Smith

1. Nintendo: Serious gamers balk, but the mass-market embrace of Wii and DS has redefined gaming.
  2. Ubisoft: With a 37% sales increase in its most recent quarter (at press time), Ubisoft has sidestepped recession with a mix of casual and hard-core games spread across platforms, including Shaun White Snowboarding and Tom Clancy's EndWar.
  3. Blizzard: Just when you think you've conquered every dungeon, Blizzard hits you with more irresistible battles. The company's World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King shattered the record for one-day PC game sales with 8 million copies sold.
  4. Media Molecule: Its LittleBigPlanet has received acclaim for breathing life into a tired genre with simple controls, an adorable mascot -- and a function that lets players create and share their own levels.
  5. Harmonix: The makers of Rock Band one-upped Guitar Hero with a deal to produce a game based on the Beatles catalog.
  6. GarageGames: Its Web site InstantAction.com combines the best of 3-D console gaming with the best of the social Web.
  7. Take-Two Interactive: Publisher of the controversial Grand Theft Auto, Take-Two fended off EA's attempt at a hostile takeover and took home the Game of the Year award from the 2008 Video Game Awards for GTA IV.
  8. Microsoft: Xbox 360 continues to outsell Sony's PS3, thanks to exclusive big titles such as Gears of War 2 and a beefed-up Xbox Live with Netflix. And big price cuts.
  9. Greystripe: Storming the mobile world with its ad-supported games, Greystripe boasts more than 110 million downloads of iPhone and Java games.
  10. RealNetworks: By adapting its popular PC games for the iPhone and the Wii -- and creating original titles for each platform -- RealNetworks has reasserted its importance.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

"Most innovative companies" ?

Some of the companies are in the ladder for sales.

How is Blizzard, for example innovative? Because they sold 8m copies of WotLK?

Microsoft ... innovative !!!!!!

don't get me wrong I have both 360 and PS3 but Microsoft has been stealing peoples Ideas since the Early days of Windows !!!!!

This seems to be more of a list of "Top Ten companys doing well in gaming at the moment" ...

Sony should be in the Top 5.!

Around the Network

nintendo for sure with Microsoft and Sony close behind

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Why is Nintendo there for expanding gaming to the mass market, when Sony already went most of the way. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo should be there for other things, but Sony should also be there. Eye Toy, Singstar, Buzz and other non-traditional games first came to PS

Ubi number 2? I am certainly not sure, that End War certainly was innovative

Munkeh111 said:
Why is Nintendo there for expanding gaming to the mass market, when Sony already went most of the way. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo should be there for other things, but Sony should also be there. Eye Toy, Singstar, Buzz and other non-traditional games first came to PS

Ubi number 2? I am certainly not sure, that End War certainly was innovative

errr sorry, but those games you mentioned were not the first camera games, karaoke games or quiz games. They just advertised them better

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

lol i think the title of this article is off a bit.. and if not, then the content is. How can you be innovative for outselling someone else ? lol

Check out my game about moles ^

You put a sony studio but not Sony it self??
MS!!!!! Now how the hell did u come up with that

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)