By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - White Knight Chronicle eurogamer Review: 8/10

darthdevidem01 said:
@alic

what!

ofcourse Eurogamer isn't one of the "grounding influences" in western scores

n thank god it isn't

Hey Darth,

what I meant by "grounding" is that they tend to be lower than the average the game gets. Sorry, my language was a little off there. I didn't mean that they're the most down to earth, sensible reviewers.

What I mean, for those who disagree with this cleared-up point:

Valkyria Chronicles 8.7 average, 8 from Eurogamer.

Infinite Undiscovery 6.9 average, 5 from Eurogamer.

Last Remnant 6.5 average, 6 from Eurogamer.

They haven't reviewed Tales of Vesperia, or I would have included it.

These are the most important console jrpgs of 2008, aren't they? They really knock Square Enix for mediocrity, and they're even under on a success like Valkyria. I'm not someone who singles out Eurogamer as the one reviewer who matches up telepathically with my own tastes, but I do think they tend to score on more of a full 10 point scale than most sites.

Eurogamer, along with Edge and some others (Destructoid?), is just a hurdle that games hoping to score in the 8s or 9s have to get over. One 5 or 6 can drag a score down a lot, especially when not as many sites review a game (which happens with many JRPGs).

p.s. on a side note, they actually scored Last Remnant higher than Infinite Undiscovery, despite technical flaws, which is right on in my book. Personally I was impressed that the framerate problems in Last Remnant's combat never affected the gameplay for me, unlike say... Fable II.

Around the Network

cool, I hope this game turns out being good because I've been watching this game for a while and was worried with the less than stellar reviews it got.

BenVTrigger said:
cool, I hope this game turns out being good because I've been watching this game for a while and was worried with the less than stellar reviews it got.

If the game contains many things you like and feel you will enjoy, then ignore the reviews regardless of how high and/or low they review it and pick this game up or at least give it a rent.

If you have really been watching it as you have and played previous Level-5 games like DC2 then you should have nothing to worry about.

Usually they deliver in the gameplay department.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

@ Euphoria14

oh I know I already chewed out someone the other day saying they weren't gonna play Star Ocean: The Last Hope if it got crappy reviews. I would play WKC whether it got good or bad reviews I was just saying I was a little worried about the quality. Reviews don't really bother me after all I enjoyed both IU and TLR. They weren't amazing but still fun.

BenVTrigger said:

@ Euphoria14

oh I know I already chewed out someone the other day saying they weren't gonna play Star Ocean: The Last Hope if it got crappy reviews. I would play WKC whether it got good or bad reviews I was just saying I was a little worried about the quality. Reviews don't really bother me after all I enjoyed both IU and TLR. They weren't amazing but still fun.

Yeah, reviewers have been pretty harsh with JRPGs lately, but that won't stop us from enjoying them am I right?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network
Mirson said:
RPGFan >>> Eurogamer

It's still a rental.

That's a good point, Mirson...  still, this review does give some hope (read the text, it sounds pretty good).  Nothing to do but wait for more reviews, and of course try the game (which being an RPG fan myself, I've already decided to do, no matter what scores it ends up with after localization... it sounds like an interesting addition to the jrpg form).

@ Euphoria14

your dead right and like I said I've had high hopes for WKC, I really hope it can be one of the first to be reviewed well in the West and get strong sales. Both Valkyria and Vesperia were awesome RPG's which got good reviews but poor sales. I hope WKC manages to get both.

BenVTrigger said:
@ Euphoria14

your dead right and like I said I've had high hopes for WKC, I really hope it can be one of the first to be reviewed well in the West and get strong sales. Both Valkyria and Vesperia were awesome RPG's which got good reviews but poor sales. I hope WKC manages to get both.

Well in Vesperia's defense, I am not sure if any "Tales of" game sold well in the West and same with SRPG like Valkyria so those two were expected.

WKC should sell between 500-800k in my opinion which isn't bad by any stretch. Yeah they may not be hyped like some other games but there is no denying that JRPGs are always an awesome bang for your buck. This game will rock, I can't wait to check out a game like this online with some friends here at VGChartz.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
BenVTrigger said:
@ Euphoria14

Well in Vesperia's defense, I am not sure if any "Tales of" game sold well in the West and same with SRPG like Valkyria so those two were expected.

WKC should sell between 500-800k in my opinion which isn't bad by any stretch. Yeah they may not be hyped like some other games but there is no denying that JRPGs are always an awesome bang for your buck. This game will rock, I can't wait to check out a game like this online with some friends here at VGChartz.

For sure now hopefully they'll be announcing a release date for the West sometime soon.

^ Like I said before. I hope it around my birthday (April 28th), that way I can get it without spending my own money.

Currently playing: