By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This generation the worst for JRPG?

Riachu said:
StanGable said:
Maybe it is because people are just bored with JRPGs because they haven't changed a bit.
In fact, the boldest move JRPGs have done is try the Action RPG and some have done exceptionally well (Kingdom Hearts for example but of course it carries the Disney name with it) and also maybe JRPGs fans have moved to WRPGs. Just look at how they are doing sales wise, they're doing quite fantastic!

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360)
2.64m 29th Nov 08

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)
0.78m 29th Nov 08

Fable II
2.53m 23rd Dec 08

Mass Effect
2.31m 16th Feb 08

And I suppose FPSs changed a lot?  Seriously, how would they change JRPGs?  There have been attempted but they are often train wrecks(i.e. Unlimited SaGa)

Actually, I would say FPSes have changed a lot. They've come a long way from local multiplayer death match to objective-based online multiplayer games. They've made excellent use of advances in AI scripting and interface, while quite a few JRPGs are still best played with a D-pad. They've added vehicles, classes and cover systems to change the kind of gameplay decisions players make, rewarding good tactics and teamwork instead of just reflexes.

JRPGs have been much more conservative, by and large. Fortunately, JRPG devs seem to understand that they need to evolve the genre or be trapped by slowly declining sales as people like me get bored with their rehashed mechanics.

@ Chrono Trigger lovers

I love blasphemy. The tastiest filet mignon comes from a sacred cow.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Silly question coming up.
What is the difference between RPG and JRPG?

JRPG are made in Japan................

izaaz101 said:
Pristine20 said:
Soriku said:
No. This gen seems like a gen where devs try something new with RPGs. See: TWEWY, Inazuma Eleven, Sigma Harmonics, etc.

With the DS, everything is "trying something new". No gaming device had dualscreens before.

Never heard of this 'thing" before. Is this from 'the onion' or something?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

interest's might just be shifting this generation. i mean, i have never been a fan of any rpg really because i don't have the patience and find most of them a little too drawn out.  after all, it has largely been a shooter fest the past four or so years. not that i object, personally, i love the shooter genre probably more than any other genre.  jrpg's definitely aren't as popular as before, and more and more games might need to tweek the formula.  of course there still are tradtional jrpg's that are well liked but think the genre's as a whole is just declining.  people's want something else i guess.  

Around the Network

You don't know about the Game and Watch?

@famousringo:
I never played it, so I can't really say anything. But I doubt you cared that much for CT in the first place if you can say something like that. CT was JRPG perfection in my book.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

RPG said:
JRPG are made in Japan................

Right so same game type just one is developed in Japan thanks.

Pristine20 said:
izaaz101 said:
Pristine20 said:
Soriku said:
No. This gen seems like a gen where devs try something new with RPGs. See: TWEWY, Inazuma Eleven, Sigma Harmonics, etc.

With the DS, everything is "trying something new". No gaming device had dualscreens before.

Never heard of this 'thing" before. Is this from 'the onion' or something?

You never heard of the Game & Watch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_&_Watch

Johann said:
@famousringo:
I never played it, so I can't really say anything. But I doubt you cared that much for CT in the first place if you can say something like that. CT was JRPG perfection in my book.

Accept the Savior TWEWY into your heart and you will understand that your Old Gods are false.

I must have cared a fair bit for Chrono Trigger, since it took me 13 years to find a JRPG I thought was better than it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.