By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This generation the worst for JRPG?

famousringo said:
Johann said:
@famousringo:
I never played it, so I can't really say anything. But I doubt you cared that much for CT in the first place if you can say something like that. CT was JRPG perfection in my book.

Accept the Savior TWEWY into your heart and you will understand that your Old Gods are false.

I must have cared a fair bit for Chrono Trigger, since it took me 13 years to find a JRPG I thought was better than it.

Let me just ask you this: does a giant talking frog splits a mountain in half at some point in the game?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network
izaaz101 said:
Pristine20 said:
Soriku said:
No. This gen seems like a gen where devs try something new with RPGs. See: TWEWY, Inazuma Eleven, Sigma Harmonics, etc.

Charming games, let's see how they compare against RPGs from the first 3 years of the previous generation, starting with the Dreamcast in 2000, until beginning of 2003. I'll list only "traditional jRPGs, so no games like Phantasy Star Online.

Skies of Arcadia (2000)

Grandia 2 (2000)

Final Fantasy X (2001)

Dark Cloud (2001)

Shadow Hearts (2001)

Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (2001)

Suikoden 3 (2002)

Kingdom Hearts (2002) (I think someone in this thread loves this one)

Wild Arms 3 (2002)

I think I could leave out the beginning of 2003 and it wouldn't be neccessary. But on 2003 with got:

Dark Cloud 2 (feb 2003)

Xenosaga: Episode 1 (feb 2003)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (feb 2003) 

.hack Infection Part 1 (feb 2003)

And a little later if we say in November 2003 last generation was 3 years old (starting on November 2000) : 

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (August 2003)

Final Fantasy X-2 (November 2003)

NOTE: I'm only listing games ranked 75 and over on Metacritic. I'm also just listing games on home consoles. These are all JRPGs. You should notice all of them except for Grandia and Skies of Arcadia are all exclusives for PlayStation 2.

So yes, this generation, which is a little over 3 years old, has undeniably sucked for JRPGs. Unless anyone here can come up with a list that can match or even reach the knees of the list I provided above. 

Johann said:
famousringo said:
Johann said:
@famousringo:
I never played it, so I can't really say anything. But I doubt you cared that much for CT in the first place if you can say something like that. CT was JRPG perfection in my book.

Accept the Savior TWEWY into your heart and you will understand that your Old Gods are false.

I must have cared a fair bit for Chrono Trigger, since it took me 13 years to find a JRPG I thought was better than it.

Let me just ask you this: does a giant talking frog splits a mountain in half at some point in the game?

I'm not all the way through, so I can't say for sure. I can say that the main protagonist is far more interesting (he talks, and has inner monologue, and has character development!) and that both the combat system and the leveling system are extremely deep, yet flexible enough to engage you whether you want simple gameplay or complex gameplay.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Character development is overrated.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

The said:
izaaz101 said:
Pristine20 said:
Soriku said:
No. This gen seems like a gen where devs try something new with RPGs. See: TWEWY, Inazuma Eleven, Sigma Harmonics, etc.

Charming games, let's see how they compare against RPGs from the first 3 years of the previous generation, starting with the Dreamcast in 2000, until beginning of 2003. I'll list only "traditional jRPGs, so no games like Phantasy Star Online.

*surgically removed list*

NOTE: I'm only listing games ranked 75 and over on Metacritic. I'm also just listing games on home consoles. These are all JRPGs. You should notice all of them except for Grandia and Skies of Arcadia are all exclusives for PlayStation 2.

So yes, this generation, which is a little over 3 years old, has undeniably sucked for JRPGs. Unless anyone here can come up with a list that can match or even reach the knees of the list I provided above. 

Highlighted your crucial mistake. The DS alone has 20 RPGs with 75 or better on metacritic. Cutting out the remakes still leaves 13 titles. I'll spare this thread from another list barrage, you can look them up if you want to.

The Japanese gamer has moved to the handheld, especially for single-player games like RPGs. Japanese developers are moving to reflect this.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

@The, absolutely perfect comparison and simply shows the shit that is this generation of JRPG.

Riachu said:
StanGable said:
Maybe it is because people are just bored with JRPGs because they haven't changed a bit.
In fact, the boldest move JRPGs have done is try the Action RPG and some have done exceptionally well (Kingdom Hearts for example but of course it carries the Disney name with it) and also maybe JRPGs fans have moved to WRPGs. Just look at how they are doing sales wise, they're doing quite fantastic!

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360)
2.64m 29th Nov 08

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)
0.78m 29th Nov 08

Fable II
2.53m 23rd Dec 08

Mass Effect
2.31m 16th Feb 08

And I suppose FPSs changed a lot?  Seriously, how would they change JRPGs?  There have been attempted but they are often train wrecks(i.e. Unlimited SaGa)

Like the SMT guys did with Persona 3&4?

I'm shocked that almost no one has mention Tales Of Vesperia or Valkyria Chronicles, those games where excellent.

And if you really look at it the ps2 years doesn't even stand up to the ps1 years.

I would say it's been fine if you lived in Japan because a lot of good DS and PSP JRPGs along with some good ones on the 7th gen consoles and PS2. But in America and Europe a lot of them haven't come over here and probably never will.

Even further, there is just too many mainstream gamers in Europe and America compared to JRPG's meaning unless they have big brand appeal they just don't do well outside of the true core gamers. Those mainstream don't have any problems buying WRPG's because they experience the massive hype behind them and buy them preemptively per se, but doesn't work that way with JRPGs. That would be my reasoning on why JRPGs aren't coming over here as much or doing as well.

Now whether they've been mediocre or not is up in the air. I'd say Valkyria Chronicles was probably pretty good along with Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. For fans of ToS it was good. And of course DS has been quite fluent in great JRPGs but once again it's just not in this mainstream gaming culture that the West has.