By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Game Informer Scan (Review)

Munkeh111 said:
lolita said:
Munkeh111 said:
The reason Infinite Undiscovery was average was not because of the name, it was because of the gameplay, poor pacing, and general poor game design. I am still going to get this game, but I am not as excited as I would have been if tri-ace had not just made IU and it is getting average reviews (though that remains to be seen)

If you played any other Star Ocean games, you'd know it's nothing like IU. So who cares about the score it got, it shouldn't affect what you think of the Star Ocean series. If they were to release an IU2 then your concern would be valid. It's like if you've let a score on a Mario Party affect what you think of Mario Galaxy... It would make no sence. Two different games.

I have played another SO game, though I never finished it, but it has a very similar battle system, and IU looked poor, and it was poor written and designed, and given that both games are made by the same developer, I am slightly concerned.

According to wiki, they have 153 employees, and so I doubt that there are completely differnet people making the games, I am sure there is some overlap in the teams. It is not like Ubi Montreal, where the people who made the Lost game have absolutely nothing to do with those who made Assassin's Creed, there will be an overlap, and when they recently made a poor game, I am slightly concerned about what they are going to produce

That's a problem with tri-Ace games in general.  They tend to be decent games bogged down by poor design choices.

Around the Network

Only 7? I will not get it then.

Riachu said:
Munkeh111 said:
lolita said:
Munkeh111 said:
The reason Infinite Undiscovery was average was not because of the name, it was because of the gameplay, poor pacing, and general poor game design. I am still going to get this game, but I am not as excited as I would have been if tri-ace had not just made IU and it is getting average reviews (though that remains to be seen)

If you played any other Star Ocean games, you'd know it's nothing like IU. So who cares about the score it got, it shouldn't affect what you think of the Star Ocean series. If they were to release an IU2 then your concern would be valid. It's like if you've let a score on a Mario Party affect what you think of Mario Galaxy... It would make no sence. Two different games.

I have played another SO game, though I never finished it, but it has a very similar battle system, and IU looked poor, and it was poor written and designed, and given that both games are made by the same developer, I am slightly concerned.

According to wiki, they have 153 employees, and so I doubt that there are completely differnet people making the games, I am sure there is some overlap in the teams. It is not like Ubi Montreal, where the people who made the Lost game have absolutely nothing to do with those who made Assassin's Creed, there will be an overlap, and when they recently made a poor game, I am slightly concerned about what they are going to produce

That's a problem with tri-Ace games in general.  They tend to be decent games bogged down by poor design choices.

not the case with VP:Lenneth.

Also, SO4 is a typical JRPG and stays true to its predecessors, it´s not westernized or anything. So why complain about that?

memory2zack said:
Riachu said:
Munkeh111 said:
lolita said:
Munkeh111 said:

Valkyrie Profile is considered tri-Ace's best game so that's shouldn't be suprising.

Riachu said:
memory2zack said:
Riachu said:
Munkeh111 said:
lolita said:
Munkeh111 said:

Valkyrie Profile is considered tri-Ace's best game so that's shouldn't be suprising.

They haven´t made anything else than SO and VP anyway (besides IU). SO´s design choice are always going to be along the same lines, to stay true to SO. They won´t ever change.

Around the Network

why do ppl still give a damn about review scores, if wether u get a game. if u think u will like it, then buy it. i already have my copy of star ocean4 paid off and anxious awaiting to play it. also no rpg this gen has got great scores, and most ppl who do the reviews for jrpg's dont either like them or always complain that enough changes arent made to the genre. whats is so damn wrong with keeping what has worked for the series and that the fans love the series for the same. if i gave a damn about review scores for a game or a movie, then half of the games and movies i like i would never buy or see.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

WRPG's are just better nowadays.

Soriku said:
Riachu said:
memory2zack said:
Riachu said:
Munkeh111 said:
lolita said:
Munkeh111 said:

Really?

It's arguable.  But yes it is.  SO2 is considered to be good but VP was allegedly something special when it was originally released.  It was a critical darling when it came out and grew a cult following that is still alove and kicking today.

superbeast1370 said:
Ashadelo said:
RPG said:
I have to be honest and say DQ and FF are my top JRPG, growing in Tokyo those are the only 2 JRPG I bothered to play and same goes for my friends back there. KH was pretty good, TO games were meh and still are meh but I have been hyped for FFXIII, Versus, Agito and DQ IX since they were announced and no doubt will have to be the games which set the bar this generation for JRPG.

DQ IX releases this year which means FFXII will not make it in Japan until at least march 2010, goodness knows when EU and NA gamers will finally get to play the game. :/ Versus probably 2011 then and DQ X 2012...........WOW that is bad.

So it will have taken 4 years for the first great JRPG to releases this gen which makes me very very sad. :(

You never played Persona 3 FES or 4?

Those 2 games stay true to the (JRPG) genre.  SE's games have become very "Westernized" lately.  and I'm sure he's never played those two games.

No they don't. Persona 3 and 4 are totally not standard JRPG's.  SMT games never feel like other JRPG's (execpt for the Digital Devil Saga) sometimes they fail with it sometimes they make diamonds of games like Persona 3-4.

Soriku said:
I prefer SO2 over VP personally. Played both.

²