By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision wants to reclaim Brutal Legend, EA brings the smack talk

[Source Destructoid]

2 hour ago - 5:40 PM on 02.13.2009

21 comments

Activision wants to reclaim Brutal Legend, EA brings the smack talk

Jim Sterling on Activision

We've already established that Activision has been acting like a bit of a cockmuncher lately, but if recent news concerning the publisher's Brütal Legend temper tantrum holds water, it's a bigger arsehole than we gave it credit for. The company is apparently threatening to sue EA over publishing rights to Double Fine's Brütal Legend, even though Activision has NO intention of publishing the game itself.

Activision Blizzard was said to be refusing to cooperate with Double Fine over getting the game released prior to EA's acquisition. ActiBlizz doesn't think the game could become a ten-year-old exploited franchise, so it doesn't want to publish it. However, Activision is a jealous God, and just because it won't publish the game, that doesn't mean it won't try and hoard the rights.

EA is rather confident about the whole thing, especially with Double Fine claiming it alone has rights to the game since Vivendi's execution at the hands of ActiBlizz. Brütal Legend's new publisher only had this to say over the matter:

We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy.

Oh sh*t, son, it's on!

I'm naturally against Activision in any fight, and it's just because of things like this. The publisher abandoned a number of excellent looking titles just because it couldn't milk them the same way it's milked Call of Duty and Guitar Hero. Frankly, Activision should suck it up. Double Fine deserves to have this game published, so here's hoping that the "ex-husband" doesn't have his own way.

Around the Network

While I don't really care about Brutal Legend, I am all for Activision getting a giant penis in the butt.

twesterm said:
While I don't really care about Brutal Legend, I am all for Activision getting a giant penis in the butt.

LOL

You know Activision should really think hard about this only releasing games that have 10 sequel potenial. If they had used the same logic when Guitar Hero was created it would never have been released. I am sure they thought it would do well but there is no way they thought it would be as succesful as it is.

"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD!"

"Bolshe, luchshe, I kruche"

Ha, EA pretty much said they were a better company. They probably aren't, but good for them anyway.

activision , this is why u are one of my least favorite dev's.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

i totally agree that Activision only wants franchises they can exploit with yearly games.

Aj_habfan said:
Ha, EA pretty much said they were a better company. They probably aren't, but good for them anyway.

They're certainly a much better company than what Activision has become. Except for in terms of their finances, of course.

badgenome said:
Aj_habfan said:

They're certainly a much better company than what Activision has become. Except for in terms of their finances, of course.

Even though they had their problems, it's still better than those weasels at Activision, LOL, i wish that the game would sell a lot just to show, those assholes.

kutasek said:
badgenome said:
Aj_habfan said:

Even though they had their problems, it's still better than those weasels at Activision, LOL, i wish that the game would sell a lot just to show, those assholes.

Ditto, although I am actually interested in the game on its own merits.

I don't know. I'm not one for boycotts, so if Activision puts out anything sweet, I'm certainly amenable to buying it. But the company and its attitude are becoming increasingly execrable, IMO.

badgenome said:
kutasek said:
badgenome said:
Aj_habfan said:

Ditto, although I am actually interested in the game on its own merits.

I don't know. I'm not one for boycotts, so if Activision puts out anything sweet, I'm certainly amenable to buying it. But the company and its attitude are becoming increasingly execrable, IMO.

call of duty 6, is the only one that i have on my mind that comes from activision.