By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are we all hypocrites?

MikeB said:

According to Nintendo the GameCube demographics was dominated by young kids, this reflected on the games.

The PS2 had many kids orientated games (like Ape Escape 2 & 3 I own for my PS3), but also many incredibly Epic high production value games (like God of War 1 & 2 I own for my PS3).

I love many Mario games, but the GameCube in general just didn't appeal to me. I owned neither PS2 nor GameCube. The technical differences are far bigger this generation and IMO the graphics in top PS2 games were well beyond what the top GameCube titles demonstrated. IMO this had more to do with top quality 1st parties rather than significantly superior hardware.

IMO the Wii is more like a toy, which IMO is good as there's plenty of room in the market for a more young kid, female and casual orientated console. We own Wiis as well for a quick laugh (party games or Mario games), but given a choice I buy all my high production value games (or media related stuff) on the PS3, it's a far more capable console.

Do you realize that video games are toys?

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ The_God_of_War

You do realize a lot of PS2 owners have switched to the Wii, right?

Multi console ownership was pretty high last gen (especially amongst XBox and GameCube owners, who bought a PS2 at some point), I think it's likely to be the case this generation as well. I know various people including myself who both own a PS3 (primary console for most) and a Wii.

I think over time (price drops, sequels to high profile PS2 games, etc) a vast majority of past PS2 owners will own a PS3 in the future. In addition I think a lot of Wii and XBox 360 users will switch to the PS3 as their primary console as well.

I somewhat agree, although a lot of PS2 owners have switched to Nintendo this time, I also think most of them will upgrade to the PS3 over the next 5-6 years. With that said, I can't see it reaching PS2 numbers. 80-100 million should be achievable, not much higher.

MikeB said:

IMO the Wii is more like a toy, which IMO is good as there's plenty of room in the market for a more young kid, female and casual orientated console. We own Wiis as well for a quick laugh (party games or Mario games), but given a choice I buy all my high production value games (or media related stuff) on the PS3, it's a far more capable console.

You do realize that all consoles ever made are toys, regardless of their capabilities?

EDIT 2: Then again - the Wii can activate people to exercise more and is used in hospitals and nursery homes to support rehabilitation programs, and the DS has enough educational software to be used as a teaching aid. Hell, I'd say the PS3 is more of a toy than the big N systems are, since they actually have some use outside plain entertainment.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

@ Mise

You do realize that all consoles ever made are toys, regardless of their capabilities?

I consider the PS3 a far broader entertainment product, the PS3 is a console I play with friends online with, watch high definition Blu-Ray and DVD movies on, listen to music with, show off pictures to friends with, etc. It's pretty much the center of my home cinema set. I may even get PlayTV as well, but I already have two digital receivers.

From the Wii I get more a gaming-only experience, for which in most cases I prefer the PS3 (for example I prefer SingStar on the high definition PS3 over a PS2 and thus Wii version, or multi-platform games, etc) In fact without the Wii-mote and without Mario I wouldn't have bought a Wii (which both could be easily handled technically by the PS3 with better results).

(PS. Wii games do look a bit too shitty on my HDTV for my liking....)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

GooseGaws said:

Alright, I have to throw in.

Gamecube:

PS2:

Lol.  Well these pics well and truly settles the arguement.  Actually Metroid Prime looks much better than it does in that picture which shows the gap between Gamecube and PS2 is even far far wider than these two pics would have you believe.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

@MikeB:

How did that quote by liquidninja go? Oh yeah:

They're entertainment systems and toys. Just because you can watch movie's in your barbie dream house doesn't mean we should just call it a entertainment system.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

@ Mise

Like it or not, the PS3 is an excellent multi-media entertainment device at its core. IMO just because you can use your PDA as a phone doesn't mean that PDA is just a phone exclusively, even if it happens to be the best phone out there.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB:

Every toy is an entertainment device. The PS3 is marketed as a gaming system, it's primary function is to play games, and it's the games that sell the bloody thing. As far as I'm concerned, it's a gaming console with extra bells and whistles thrown in, just like the Wii. At least the Wii (and its maker) is honest about what it is.

MikeB said:

@ Mise

Like it or not, the PS3 is an excellent multi-media entertainment device at its core. IMO just because you can use your PDA as a phone doesn't mean that PDA is just a phone exclusively, even if it happens to be the best phone out there.

The Western Digital HD TV Media player cost £80 compared to the £299 for a PS3 and is just as excellent a multi-media entertainment device.  What differentiates the PS3 from it is the fact PS3 plays games which is it's primary function.  Without the games the PS3 is a pointless device so not sure multi-media entertainment can be said to be its core even if Sony uses it as PR speak to justify its price.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

@ tuoyo

The PS3 is an all-in-one high definition orientated entertainment device, of course games are part of entertainment. It's even bigger than the movie industry, so IMO an all-in-one device should best target gaming.

It just happens the PS3 is the most powerful games console out there.

A lot of the technology which makes the PS3 the most powerful games console also allows it to be a great media player in a much broader sense, for example a Blu-Ray drive allows for watching Blu-Ray movies in addition to higher quality (or more diverse) assets like audio and graphics for games while providing faster load and eject times than rivals, the Cell allows the PS3 to have the fastest Java support for a Blu-Ray player, the default harddrive allows the PS3 to double as a DVR and firmware updates including the latest Blu-Ray profiles or new audio codecs, etc.

PS3 vs 360 sales