By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best water in a game!

@OT, I don't buy your argument that the "best water" means "best looking and best interactivity."

If I'm going with a vague category like "best water in a game" I'm gonna have to say the best is the water level in Sonic 2 (Genesis) and the worst is the dam level in TMNT (NES).

Outside of that I'd need to come up with very specific categories.
Here are Rubang's Gaming Awards--Water Edition:

I think the most aesthetically pleasing water is the water with firebars in it in Super Mario Bros., level 8-4, as can be seen here: Click for full size.

Looking back, my biggest initial wow factor when experiencing new water was Wave Race 64, so I guess I'd consider that the best leap forward with water effects that actually affect the gameplay, making it more fun. I'll call that "Game that Raised the Water Bar the Highest."

And for best use of water in any game, I'd go with Squirtle:

Honorable mentions go to FLUDD and any other game that lets you use a firehose.

Best things to do in water:
1. Sink to the bottom (iron boots in Zelda, or metal Mario in Mario 64)
2. Fishing (Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess)
3. Eating smaller fish and evolving in E.V.O.: The Search for Eden on SNES.

Most original water game:
1. Endless Ocean
2. X-COM: Terror From the Deep

Around the Network

Mario sunshine

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Oh, and the water levels in Star Fox 64 (both right above the water and underwater) were also particularly bodacious.

Crysis is probably the best looking I've seen.

Uncharted would be the second best I've seen, or the best if we're talking consoles.

I really loved Wind waker's water as well. Realistic? No, but it wasn't trying to be.

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
@OT, I don't buy your argument that the "best water" means "best looking and best interactivity."

If I'm going with a vague category like "best water in a game" I'm gonna have to say the best is the water level in Sonic 2 (Genesis) and the worst is the dam level in TMNT (NES).

Outside of that I'd need to come up with very specific categories.
Here are Rubang's Gaming Awards--Water Edition:

I think the most aesthetically pleasing water is the water with firebars in it in Super Mario Bros., level 8-4, as can be seen here: Click for full size.

Looking back, my biggest initial wow factor when experiencing new water was Wave Race 64, so I guess I'd consider that the best leap forward with water effects that actually affect the gameplay, making it more fun. I'll call that "Game that Raised the Water Bar the Highest."

And for best use of water in any game, I'd go with Squirtle:

Honorable mentions go to FLUDD and any other game that lets you use a firehose.

Best things to do in water:
1. Sink to the bottom (iron boots in Zelda, or metal Mario in Mario 64)
2. Fishing (Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess)
3. Eating smaller fish and evolving in E.V.O.: The Search for Eden on SNES.

Most original water game:
1. Endless Ocean
2. X-COM: Terror From the Deep

I'm willing to accept this as THE bottom line in the videogame water debates.  Only thing missing is which water looks the best.  I guess Crysis is best in the PC world (and overall) and Uncharted takes the cake in the console world.