By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Recommend Me a JRPG

Ok so some of my favorite games of all time are Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG. What do these games have in common? They are all JRPGS from the SNES era that don't have random encounters.

So I'm looking for JRPGs from the 16-bit era that don't have random encounters. Can anyone help me out?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

Bump, cmon guys I need to play me some JRPGs

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

I believe Earthbound did not have random encounters.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Eartbound is the best game on SNES!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

As I recall the Wild Arms series has a pretty good option for bailing on random encounters that you don't want.

EDIT: Oh... 16-bit...  drawin' a blank.

Around the Network

Earthbound

secret of evermore is similair to secret of mana. (they also share the same ring menu/basic user interface, and instead of the girl and the sprite you get a dog)

Front Mission: Gun Hazard, though it's more of an action jrpg it's one of the best games I've ever played from the 16 bit era. Also, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons for the snes. A totally nonlinear sailing jrpg set during the age of exploration, be a pirate, trader, cartographer, explorer,ect. The entire world is yours to explore at your leisure. I also hear Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure Hunter G, along with Seiken Densetsu 3 are excellent titles, but unless you know Japanese you'll be in trouble, maybe translations are available online.

Also might want to check out 7th saga and Actraiser, though Actraiser is more an action/rpg/sim amalgamation.

have fun with your 16 bit but if you get tired of it in say 10 mins after smoking whatever you are smoking now, try Lost Odyssey it was good HD gaming.